PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Quarterback shuffle was head scratcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss:Quarterback shuffle was head scratcher

Bill said the QB shuffle was done the way it was to get Hoyer situational work in a real game. Since his 3 drives were backed up on his own 1 and the final drive of each half it seems like a good explanation to me.
I think what he also meant is he didn't want Hoyer to know "you're going in at halftime" or whatever. Hoyer is the backup QB and has to be ready to go in NOW - at any time - and Bill was just playing around with that. Reiss has been around long enough, this was fairly obvious to me - and I think I'm right :)

Brady was out there so him and Edelman could play a little 2 on 11. Suprisingly it led to a TD.

I have plenty reasons to have wished all the starters were spared yesterday, but all this "we still can't close out a game on the road" whining on here over a game where several unusual substitutions were made is creeping up my list.

A little incident like this might just prompt Brady to ask for a trade

to finish out his career at Oakland or San Francisco.

Honestly just stop :deadhorse:

Brady is most interested in winning to finish out his career.

I think what he also meant is he didn't want Hoyer to know "you're going in at halftime" or whatever. Hoyer is the backup QB and has to be ready to go in NOW - at any time - and Bill was just playing around with that.

That's my take as well and it leads me to agree with jmt; lately Mike seems to be in process of getting brainwashed with ESPN's "make a story" mantra. There is no story here really; the team's in the playoffs, BB's got a wounded warrior for a QB, and the wise move is to take advantage of our position and throw Hoyer in for some real-time reps during a real game, a game that mattered very much to Houston so he can safely assume they'll go after Hoyer in a big way. He (Hoyer) needs to be ready anytime and under any conditions.

I'm sorry but I don't see the reason for all the controversy over the QB "shuffle" beyond the fact it's interesting from a strategy standpoint. BB's always interesting ;)

I'm glad Hoyer went in, I'm glad TFB caught a break in the action, and I'm also glad TFB got a chance to real-time throw to Edelman. BB may be right and BB may be wrong but one thing he never does is take his eyes off the prize. This team needs to continue to build on itself and with all the injuries we've had, they'd better learn how to deal with some "shuffling" be it QB or anyone else.

Last edited:

Mike is a good reporter. He's not one of the two or three great minds in universe...

It was pretty clear they were playing Brady to work with Edleman. And whichever Patriot didn't know whether they were playing to win the game is probably on the wrong team. Bill always plays to win the game. He doesn't generally play to tie the game and go to OT in week 17 unless that's his only shot at the playoffs.

Agreed. In the NFL, if you're not playing your best players, you're not playing to win.

But, that doesn't mean that you're deliberately throwing the game.

The players that were in there, Alexander, Wilhite, Brace, were trying their best. But they're just not as good as the first stringers, Andre Johnson, Foster and the Houston OL, on the opposite sideline.

There was an option for a 2 point conversion, just like in that Miami game a few years back. I'm sorry, but the "BB always plays to win" argument is just not going to hold up on this one.

I don't think it means he plays each game to win. If that ewre true, he would play his best players throughout.

Rather, it means that he expects his players who are out there do their damnedest to win.

There's a big difference.

In baseball, if you sit Jeter, ARod and Texeira one game, you can expect that the replacements are doing their absolute best to string some hits together, but the team in that situation is obviously NOT doing their utmost to win the game.

You can pull players and try to win the game at the same time.

I'm sorry but I think that's BS. I was confused as well, and I'm sure others here were too.

But that doesn't mean Belichick was confused. Maybe everyone was well aware that the thing to do in Denver a few years ago was deliberately hike the ball above the punter's head for a safety, and even though that immediately became apparent to me after a few seconds, I was confused in the interim.

Um, no it wasn't. You're certainly not one of the "two or three great minds in the universe" either.

haha, nice comeback, comeback. ;)

I don't think it means he plays each game to win. If that ewre true, he would play his best players throughout.

Rather, it means that he expects his players who are out there do their damnedest to win.

There's a big difference.

In baseball, if you sit Jeter, ARod and Texeira one game, you can expect that the replacements are doing their absolute best to string some hits together, but the team in that situation is obviously NOT doing their utmost to win the game.

You can pull players and try to win the game at the same time.

From Mo's post:

"game tying TD" as opposed to game winning TD. Last thing Bill wanted in that situation was a tie and OT. The game wasn't meaningless, just not that meaningful with a playoff game looming in 6 or 7 days...

Again, the "winning" thing goes out the window.

That's my take as well and it leads me to agree with jmt; lately Mike seems to be in process of getting brainwashed with ESPN's "make a story" mantra. There is no story here really; the team's in the playoffs, BB's got a wounded warrior for a QB, and the wise move is to take advantage of our position and throw Hoyer in for some real-time reps during a real game, a game that mattered very much to Houston so he can safely assume they'll go after Hoyer in a big way. He (Hoyer) needs to be ready anytime and under any conditions.

I'm sorry but I don't see the reason for all the controversy over the QB "shuffle" beyond the fact it's interesting from a strategy standpoint. BB's always interesting ;)

I'm glad Hoyer went in, I'm glad TFB caught a break in the action, and I'm also glad TFB got a chance to real-time throw to Edelman. BB may be right and BB may be wrong but one thing he never does is take his eyes off the prize. This team needs to continue to build on itself and with all the injuries we've had, they'd better learn how to deal with some "shuffling" be it QB or anyone else.

Confusion on what they are doing is understandable because BB wouldn't tell anyone what exactly he is trying to do. (that's good)

Where this article would need to go is toward trying to ascertain what exactly they are trying to do. My guess is Mo is correct and getting JE real time work in a playoff situation was the overriding priority.

Gotta love how Rhody the clown notes "only" five passes to JE.

My initial thought was something happened to Hoyer and Brady came back in.. But after rethinking it, I felt BB was trying to get some real live game chemistry between Brady and Edelman, Stanback and a few others..

As someone pointed out earlier in post, Brady being pulled at the final two minutes might have suggested that BB was nervous about seeing the Texans, specifically Mario Williams, pinning their ears back and going after #12..

I felt even if they got the TD, they would have went for two.. It just had the look of the pats not wanting to extend the game any further..

I don't know if having Hoyer running the 2 minute drill without the top receivers on the field is really going to properly prepare him for the playoffs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News