PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats re-sign TBC to 3-year deal @ $4.5M/year with escalators, $6M SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me of the Bruins of the mid 70's.

Bobby Orr sings with the Blackhawks, but cheer up.

We just resigned Gary Doak to a multi year contract.

Banta-Cain was an absolute steal last year at vet minimum.

He's a decent value at 3 million per year.

4.5 million per year plus a 6 million signing bonus? Umm, no.

Re: Reiss: Pats re-sign TBC to 3-year deal

As has already been shown, it is standard for middle-tier players in today's NFL.

There's nothing excessive about the contract whatsoever. Sorry.

It seems a little rich to me. Again, much like the argument I had with you over Bodden - we've now paid TBC as if he's one of our top 5-10 players, which he is not. If we had signed Wilfork & extended Brady at this point, I'd probably be OK with a mild overpay for TBC. But as it is right now, Tully Banta Cain's 2010 salary will be twice that of Tom Brady's. That tells me that our top priority now has to be a) extending Brady and giving him a fair market deal b) attempting to do likewise with Vince Wilfork.

If you put this in the perspective of Vanden Bosch's deal - 4 years, $26 mil, $10 mil in year 1, he'll be 32 this year. I'd say this is a good deal. Depending on the details, it could be as little as 2 years, $8 mil.

Vanden Bosch is significantly better than TBC.

It seems a little rich to me. Again, much like the argument I had with you over Bodden - we've now paid TBC as if he's one of our top 5-10 players, which he is not. If we had signed Wilfork & extended Brady at this point, I'd probably be OK with a mild overpay for TBC. But as it is right now, Tully Banta Cain's 2010 salary will be twice that of Tom Brady's. That tells me that our top priority now has to be a) extending Brady and giving him a fair market deal b) attempting to do likewise with Vince Wilfork.

Of course, you have to look at it on a sliding scale. It's only useful to look at it relative to other deals that are being struck this offseason, and by that basis of comparison, it's a fair deal.

They really had no choice, would you rather they have no one at OLB at all?

I'd rather them have Carlos Dunlap and Austen Lane at OLB

Of course, you have to look at it on a sliding scale. It's only useful to look at it relative to other deals that are being struck this offseason, and by that basis of comparison, it's a fair deal.

That's true - and in comparison to deals the Patriots made last season with Wright/Sanders, it falls in line. I'll grant you that. Overall, I'm glad TBC is back. Let's just say I'm more anxious about seeing some of the other guys sign/extend though.

Last edited:

"Salary" is meaningless because it completely excludes any guaranteed money already paid out.

That's true - and in comparison to deals the Patriots made last season with Wright/Sanders, it falls in line. I'll grant you that. Overall, I'm glad TBC is back. Let's just say I'm more anxious about seeing some of the other guys sign/extend though.

Yes, I agree with you there. My primary concern is Bodden, as it appears there really are no replacements for him available should he leave in FA.

"Salary" is meaningless because it completely excludes any guaranteed money already paid out.

I wouldn't say it's meaningless, Brady deserves a higher salary and a new contract and it needs to be a top priority for this squad - very soon.

Yes, I agree with you there. My primary concern is Bodden, as it appears there really are no replacements for him available should he leave in FA.

Couple that with the fact that we haven't had great success lately drafting corners, and I would have rather extended myself a little more for Bodden than TBC. I thought all along we were supposed to get a hometown discount from him. This doesn't appear so at all.

I wouldn't say it's meaningless, Brady deserves a higher salary and a new contract and it needs to be a top priority for this squad - very soon.

He does deserve an extension, I agree.

But he's really "earning" $10M this year. Think of it as he got about $6M of that as an advance, doesn't mean his salary this year is indicative of what he's really being/been paid. It's just disingenuous to compare salary numbers of NFL players like that when one gets a big bonus and the other doesn't.

EDIT: And plus TBC's "salary" is $1M this year ;)

Last edited:
AlbertBreer Twitter:

Details on Tully Banta-Cain : three years, max. value of close to $19M ... $6M signing bonus, $1M first-year base, $4.5-6+M AAV.

Couple that with the fact that we haven't had great success lately drafting corners, and I would have rather extended myself a little more for Bodden than TBC. I thought all along we were supposed to get a hometown discount from him. This doesn't appear so at all.

Samuel, Hobbs, Wheatley(injury), Wilhite, Butler. I don't think they are all that bad drafting CBs.

But we have no idea how far they have extended themselves for Bodden and what he is asking for. The two aren't mutually exclusive and TBC's deal has nothing to do with whether Bodden is re-signed.

ok now im happy. give cory redding a and a WR and ill start danceing :D

Bit of a bump from the $517K he made last year.

Huge cost to not getting the deal done mid-season. Obviously the Pats felt they had a deal closed, because of the release. There would have been no release if a deal was not imminent.

We don't know what the proposed deal was then, but it probably was not $19 mm.

I hope this is structured to take advantage of the uncapped year as much as possible.

Good start, probably overpaid a little but that's ok. Now we need to get a bigger Pass rusher like a Kindle or a Grahm on the other side of him and our Pass rush will have a foundation. Good move!

Graham measured 6-1.0 263 at the Combine. That is smaller than TBC.
Kindle, at 6-2.7 250, is a half inch taller than TBC, but 15 pounds lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes