PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats re-sign TBC to 3-year deal @ $4.5M/year with escalators, $6M SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love B-Cain. If he keeps performing like he did last season then 4.5 is cool with me. If he goes back to SF B-Cain, then BB should be caned.

Re: Reiss: Pats re-sign TBC to 3-year deal

Please God tell me this is a sick joke.
$4.5 per year?!?!?!?!!?
If this is the case I have lost all faith in BB.

Just b/c we overpaid Jarvis doesn't justify overpaying Banta-Cain. He was brought in for vet minimum and probably could've been extended for pocket change back in October. He's making the equivalent to Matt Light, a former Pro Bowl tackle, and Wes Welker, a Pro Bowl WR. I can't justify 4.5 for Banta-Cain. He's a good player and a good secondary rusher, but not worth that cash IMO.

As has already been shown, it is standard for middle-tier players in today's NFL.

There's nothing excessive about the contract whatsoever. Sorry.

You are correct, my bad.

I can't believe people think this is a lot of money for TBC.

The mind reels.

Probably the same people who accuse Belichick of being asleep or Kraft of being cheap.

so why was B-Cain released and re-signed last season?
Or was the news false?

so why was B-Cain released and re-signed last season?
Or was the news false?

Because they needed to do that to re-sign him, which they thought they were going to do right after that move, but the deal fell through.

As has already been shown, it is standard for middle-tier players in today's NFL.

There's nothing excessive about the contract whatsoever. Sorry.

This has to be the biggest joke, Jack. People are P.Oed and moaning our only good pass rusher got a whopping 4.5mil a year...

I'd rather overpay for OUR OWN FREE AGENTS than overypay for another Adalius Thomas. That's the way that I look at it. Give the money to Wilfork, Faulk and Bodden.

Good start, probably overpaid a little but that's ok. Now we need to get a bigger Pass rusher like a Kindle or a Grahm on the other side of him and our Pass rush will have a foundation. Good move!

Good start, probably overpaid a little but that's ok. Now we need to get a bigger Pass rusher like a Kindle or a Grahm on the other side of him and our Pass rush will have a foundation. Good move!

Agree, still need a high draft pick on the other side. Maybe two.

It's not like they had a choice. Who else is out there they could sign?

i guess when you look at the deal vanden bosch got (4 years, 26 mil, 10 mil first year), tully's deal looks a bit better. but when you look at tully's stats and realize 5 of his 9.5 sacks came against Buffalo, its hard for me to justify this kind of money for him.

Lets look at the contract:

Veteran free agent outside linebacker Tully Banta-Cain has agreed to a three-year deal with a maximum value of nearly $19 million, re-sign with the New England Patriots, according to a league source.

He received a signing bonus of $6 million and will be paid $7 million in the first year of the deal.

If escalator clauses are triggered a $4.5 million annual value could go up to $6million per year.

Source: Tully Banta-Cain re-signs with Patriots | National Football Post

Essentially, BB feels that TBC will give them 10 sacks next year- thus paying him $7m. In 2011 or 2012, I assume that he will not be due any additional guaranteed dollars. Without seeing the payouts, and if he does not meet his escalators, the Pats would owe him roughly $3.25m per year in 2011 and 2012 respectfully. Not big dollars by any means.

The key is 2011. If he gets 2 sacks, thats $7m out the door in a un-capped year and they cut him w/o a substantial cap hit long term. If he gets 10 sacks again, thats good value for $7m and if he's lucky enough to get 10 sacks in 2011 and 2012, they would be getting tremendous value and be forced to pay the performance escalators. We would all very much like that to happen.

It's a good deal for both sides.

Last edited:
I'd rather overpay for OUR OWN FREE AGENTS than overypay for another Adalius Thomas. That's the way that I look at it. Give the money to Wilfork, Faulk and Bodden.

I agree. What i want to hear next is that Bodden and Wilfork are resigned to long term deals. Get the hustle and git-r-done.

This has to be the biggest joke, Jack. People are P.Oed and moaning our only good pass rusher got a whopping 4.5mil a year...

Our only good pass rusher is a very mediocre pass rusher. I'm not typically of the glass half empty variety, but this deal makes me sick.

THANK YOU!!! Too bad we didn't do this with assante :(

Lets look at the contract:

Source: Tully Banta-Cain re-signs with Patriots | National Football Post

Essentially, BB feels that TBC will give them 10 sacks next year- thus paying him $7m. In 2011, I assume that he will not be due any additional guaranteed dollars. Without seeing the structure, and if he does not meet his escalators, the Pats would owe him roughly $3.25m per year in 2011 and 2012 respectfully. Not big dollars by any means.

The key is 2011. If he gets 2 sacks, thats $7m out the door in a un-capped year and they cut him w/o a substantial cap hit long term. If he gets 10 sacks again, thats good value for $7m and if he's lucky enough to get 10 sacks in 2011 and 2012, they would be getting tremendous value and be forced to pay the performance escalators. We would all very much like that to happen.

It's a good deal for both sides.

If it is in fact broken down this way it would be a lot easier to swallow. Obviously we don't care what he counts for this year without the cap. If his cap hit is close to $3Mil the following years, I'm fine with that.

TBC is a solid player. Glad to have him for another 3 years. Good news in my opinion.

If you put this in the perspective of Vanden Bosch's deal - 4 years, $26 mil, $10 mil in year 1, he'll be 32 this year. I'd say this is a good deal. Depending on the details, it could be as little as 2 years, $8 mil.

If it is in fact broken down this way it would be a lot easier to swallow. Obviously we don't care what he counts for this year without the cap. If his cap hit is close to $3Mil the following years, I'm fine with that.

There are lots of assumptions that I am making but the contract seems very reasonable for both sides. TBC played well last year. It's a good thing that the Pats gave him $6m guaranteed.

I guess the team does reward its players for good play after all.

Last edited:

Our only good pass rusher is a very mediocre pass rusher. I'm not typically of the glass half empty variety, but this deal makes me sick.

They really had no choice, would you rather they have no one at OLB at all?

Good Job Bill&co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye