PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats re-sign TBC to 3-year deal @ $4.5M/year with escalators, $6M SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBC is a good underrated player.

Dude made a LOT of money coming here for the vet minimum.

Good for the Pats and good for him.

I'm glad we resigned TBC
I guess I'm glad they spent a shtload of $ to resign vince
I'm not glad they resigned 8 game a year Neal

Is that all Krafty is gonna do this year, resign a few guys that didn't get it done last year?

Is that all Krafty is gonna do this year, resign a few guys that didn't get it done last year?

What on earth is the point of asking this question on march frakking 5th, the first day of free agency!?

(PS: All the guys re-signed did their jobs pretty well last year when healthy)

Re: Reiss: Pats re-sign TBC to 3-year deal

Not a bad signing at all. Not spectacular, but I'll take it: more than I was hoping for on the first day of FA, at least. If you had told me yesterday that TBC and Wilfork would both be signed this time today, I'd be happy.

Last edited:
They overpaid. No cap, and it's not my money, so who cares anyway. I'd rather have him here, than not. $4.5 million per for 3 years is gross though.

Re: Reiss: Pats re-sign TBC to 3-year deal

I'm happy with this for sure.

How the hell is TBC one of the guys that 'didn't get it done last year'? I wish all of our guys could 'not get it done' to the tune of 10 sacks.

How the hell is TBC one of the guys that 'didn't get it done last year'? I wish all of our guys could 'not get it done' to the tune of 10 sacks.

Did we win the superbowl? NO and that clearly must mean that every single player on the team needs to be replaced because none of them could get it done!

This seems like a severe overpayment for a guy who I don't believe is the answer at OLB. Banta-Cain needs to be better than he was in 2009 to justify this deal, meaning more consistent pressure on the QB and improved performance against the run.

This seems like a severe overpayment for a guy who I don't believe is the answer at OLB. Banta-Cain needs to be better than he was in 2009 to justify this deal, meaning more consistent pressure on the QB and improved performance against the run.

I agree, he needs to be a dominant force, one of the absolute best OLB's in the league before we can justify this ridiculous outrage of $4.5M average a year!

I agree, he needs to be a dominant force, one of the absolute best OLB's in the league before we can justify this ridiculous outrage of $4.5M average a year!

I don't think he needs to be a dominant force, he just needs to be a guy that we are not looking to "upgrade" from. I don't see him as a solid starter in the Patriots defense at OLB.

I don't think he needs to be a dominant force, he just needs to be a guy that we are not looking to "upgrade" from. I don't see him as a solid starter in the Patriots defense at OLB.

Might want to pay a little more attention because he was exactly that in 2009 and looks to be again for at least 2010.

It's certainly a good move that we re-signed the only semblence of a pass rush that we had last season. Now we need to improve upon that.

Perform like a 10 sack guy against Indy and I'll be happy with this signing. I dont care how many sacks you get against Buffalo or the Jets, those dont count:)

Might want to pay a little more attention because he was exactly that in 2009 and looks to be again for at least 2010.

Oh that's right I didn't pay attention...my bad

"a little more"...

Yeah, that's it...I am really unsure of my football knowledge...maybe I should ask you.

Look, Banta-Cain is an upgradeable player in my opinion. He's not a great run defender and FIVE of his 10.5 sacks came against Buffalo. The pass rush is a huge issue with this team. If you think he's a solid starter at OLB, then this is a good deal for the Patriots. The Patriots had Banta-Cain agree to a contract for less money during the season, but the NFL voided that deal. We're not going to agree and you seem intent on getting the last word, which is fine. However "pay more attention" is not a valid argument.

As Reiss wrote today, TBC would not be starting and would be a situational 3rd OLB in an ideal world. However, unless the Pats pull off something major, TBC is slated for the #2 OLB role. He has some problems against the run, so that is something to look out for.

But no matter how you slice it, a #1 OLB is needed.

Yeah, that's it...I am really unsure of my football knowledge...maybe I should ask you.

Look, Banta-Cain is an upgradeable player in my opinion. He's not a great run defender and FIVE of his 10.5 sacks came against Buffalo. The pass rush is a huge issue with this team. If you think he's a solid starter at OLB, then this is a good deal for the Patriots. The Patriots had Banta-Cain agree to a contract for less money during the season, but the NFL voided that deal. We're not going to agree and you seem intent on getting the last word, which is fine. However "pay more attention" is not a valid argument.

I wasn't intent on getting the last word I wanted to point out that I wasn't trying to accuse you of paying no attention but that you are simply a little bit mistaken if you believe TBC was not a "solid" starter for the patriots.

You can't field 22 pro-bowl starters, hell you are lucky if you are playing 3-4 pro-bowlers. That means that all positions and all players are "upgradeable".

$4.5M/year for TBC is at worst a small overpay, but it's a good idea to keep a solid middle roster which is what the Pats continue to do for a decade. The only way to upgrade TBC for less money is draft which is really hit or miss. Otherwise you have to overpay a lot more to get a high-end guy, and you steal money from building a complete team.

TBC is a good solid starting OLB for the patriots. He is pretty decent in run support setting the edge and is good to very good pass rushing (Sacks don't tell the whole story btw). Hopefully he isn't the best OLB on the Patriots to start the season, but he's still worth keeping around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back