PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Galloway visited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't gotten to see Galloway too often. Anyone know how his blocking skills downfield are? In our current offense, I think that's a lot more important than speed. Gaff is pretty good at it.

YouTube - Joey Galloway

This video is from the last four years. If this doesn't sell you on the idea, you must have voted yes in the Owens poll.

Full on PERFECT for #3 and would probably be good for 8-10 TD's.

Last edited:
Re: Reiss: Galloway visited.

We were a great offense with Stallworth - better than with Gaffney, too bad his route running wasn't reliable enough to keep the job. A more disciplined Stallworth would be excellent IMO.

He's out there. Best route runner available. Terry Holt. Trade or release.
DW Toys

He's out there. Best route runner available. Terry Holt. Trade or release.
DW Toys

Yeah, you can bet the Pats won't sniff until he's an FA, though.

I haven't gotten to see Galloway too often. Anyone know how his blocking skills downfield are? In our current offense, I think that's a lot more important than speed. Gaff is pretty good at it.
Blocking is the weakest part of his game; well, that and staying healthy enough to stay on the field. In fact during his time in Tampa he would often be taken out for plays to get a better blocker on the field in his place. On the plus side he has very good hands and elite speed; forget his age, he's still just as fast as he ever was.

Galloway would be a perfect signing as a 3rd option. The guy runs a 4.3/40 in his sleep.

YouTube - Joey Galloway

This video is from the last four years. If this doesn't sell you on the idea, you must have voted yes in the Owens poll.

With that music in the background, he could be cooking eggs and I'd get all excited. Good stuff.

YouTube - Joey Galloway

d%#*!@t, now I'm all excited and setting myself up for disappointment.

Blocking is the weakest part of his game; well, that and staying healthy enough to stay on the field. In fact during his time in Tampa he would often be taken out for plays to get a better blocker on the field in his place. On the plus side he has very good hands and elite speed; forget his age, he's still just as fast as he ever was.

Thank you for the info. I've seen Galloway's hightlights, and he looks like an explosive player. That all said, IMO, to be a WR in the Pats offensive system, blocking is fundamental. As great as it would be to have a playmaker set wide opposite Randy, I don't think Galloway is a great fit.

Who's knows, BB could always tweak the system a bit, and with all the rules favoring receivers these days, he may go in the direction. Either way, IBBWT.

Galloway is visiting Buffalo today.

Can he play OLB? :D

I see Galloway in the same mold as moss minus the height. He is a true #1 WR with the speed to get open deep. As for a #3, I would want someone who is more of a possession receiver and not a big play threat. Unless the goal is to break passing yardage records, then i'm all for it :)

This isn't an attack against you, I've just noticed recently people have mentioned "Player X" can't be a #3. Wouldn't it be best if the Pats put Welker as the slot, and then put someone like Galloway as an outside burner? Obviously this would only be the case in 3 WR, or spread formations, as I assume Welker would be in for the 2 WR formations.

Galloway is visiting Buffalo today.

Good, we can watch his FA press conference and hear that it was a classy visit or some such.

I think he'd be a great signing, but they'd still need another WR. Galloway's problem last year was talent, it was health. I don't think you can sign him expecting a full 16 (plus playoffs), so they'd still need to grab someone else IMO.

This isn't an attack against you, I've just noticed recently people have mentioned "Player X" can't be a #3. Wouldn't it be best if the Pats put Welker as the slot, and then put someone like Galloway as an outside burner? Obviously this would only be the case in 3 WR, or spread formations, as I assume Welker would be in for the 2 WR formations.

:agree: Having a burner opposite Moss means the safeties have to play back, which opens up the middle for Welker (and Watson and Baker and Faulk, etc.), not to mention the running game.

Welker is our possession receiver. We don't need another one on the field at the same time.

:agree: Having a burner opposite Moss means the safeties have to play back, which opens up the middle for Welker (and Watson and Baker and Faulk, etc.), not to mention the running game.

And F. Taylor... Tell me the league wouldn't have to consider a special rule to make the games fair... hehe

Last edited:
1 year deal, draft a WR on day two.

Galloway would be an excellent compliment to Moss and Welker. IMO another playmaker and downfield threat like Stallworth is needed more than a "possession" type receiver like Gaffney--we already have the best possesion receiver in football in Welker. We also have Faulk.

The loss of Stallworth last year contributed to Moss's subpar production. With Gaffney on the field last year, teams could just key on Welker on the underneath stuff and have 1 safety keep an eye on Moss downfield.

As long as Galloway can be coached up to block downfield this is a no brainer. If Moss's blocking since he came to NE is any indication, I have no doubt BB can renew Galloway's interest in blocking.

We were a great offense with Stallworth - better than with Gaffney, too bad his route running wasn't reliable enough to keep the job. A more disciplined Stallworth would be excellent IMO.

???

I thought Stallworth's poor route running and aversion to blocking was exactly why he lost snaps to Gaffney over the course of the season two years ago when they were on the roster at the same time.

Stallworth looks good after he catches the ball- nice speed and stride, but he remains tremendously overrated, as every one of his coaches seems to quickly find out.

If Galloway can still bring the speed with crisp route running and blocking at a reasonable price then why not??

The loss of Stallworth last year contributed to Moss's subpar production. With Gaffney on the field last year, teams could just key on Welker on the underneath stuff and have 1 safety keep an eye on Moss downfield.

Moss ranks #13 in passes not caught for 2008.
He ranks 2nd (tie, under a tie for first) in receiving TD's for 2008.

All things considered, I believe the QB switch had the most to do with his drop in production, and it's not a production dip most teams would complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST