PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox considering A-Rod for next year

Personally, I'd resign Lowell for 3 years and trade Youk, while trying to replace him with a more power oriented 1B. Lowell will probably be $10-12 million over 3, while ARod will be $30 million per. I'd prefer to throw that money toward a 1B with power and maybe a bullpen arm. Youk is a decent player but not a corner bat. With such little HR power outside of Manny and Papi, the Sox would be well served to add some somewhere.

Actually some think that A-Rod might demand as many as 10-12 years... I kid you not.... don't forget who is agent is...

So if one overpays Lowell by signing him for 4 years instead of the 3 the Sox would prefer, at even $13 million plus, looking at the downside of A-Rod's contract it sure seems like the risk is a lot higher for wasting money with A-Rod than Lowell

A-Rod makes perfect sense for a team that he doesn't have a negative history with (anyone remember "the Slap"?)

And he makes perfect sense for a team that needs to boost ticket sales and ratings for their TV network

So I suppose A-Rod makes sense for the Red Sox given all the empty seats at Fenway and low ratings on NESN. ;)

That's where they'll recoup the $400 million investment!

What I'd prefer to see is that the Sox spend some money via free agency or trade keeping guys like Santana AWAY from the Yankees. The reason the Yankees suck in the post-season is pitching, as others have mentioned. The more you can do to bolster your own pitching and keep pitching away from the Yankees by trading for a guy like Santana, the better... its like a two-fer.

That's part of the reason why they went out and spent $50 million on the rights for Dice-K ... because they were hurting the Yankees, helping themselves, and knew they'd recapture that investment in the Japanese marketing. A-Rod can't put anymore people in Fenway or really boost ratings - and again, his post season contributions are suspect... certainly not worth $30 million a year.

And since we don't need to keep A-Rod away from the Yankees (indeed the speculation of him coming to the Red Sox is actually a good tactic to get him to come on the market) there's no need for us to spend such an incredible amount of money.

Last edited:
btw, in '08 its Youk to 3rd and Kielty, yes I said Kielty, to 1st. Tito and Theo have some weird infatuation with the guy. You heard it here first.
Are you joking? Kielty has played a total of 8 games at 1B in his entire career. He has a career .228BA against RHP. He has started more than 67 games once in his career.

What gives you the idea that they like him so much that they'd turn a career bench player who can't hit righties into a starting player at a position he has almost no experience in?

Theo wont sign Lowell if he want anything on 3+ years.

I would rather try to get Miguel Cabera than signing Arod. Trade Youk? no, youk put up good numbers and nice D on first base, plus he's cheap for the next 2 years(500k)

Texeria could be a plus, but I dont know how they would pay him. He is after all Boros's guy.

I'm not even sure Theo and John willing to pay Arod caliber salary while we have Manny on board. It's toooo much.

The problem with saving the money to spend it on pitching is that there is no pitching out there to buy. Mediocre pitching costs over 10M a year. I think I'd rather pay 20M for the upgrade from Lowell to A-Rod than blow 20M on bad pitching in the free agent market.

I think people are ignoring Lowell's performance the last few years and the fact that he'll be 34 when next year starts. I'll pass on anything more than 2 years for old and inconsistent.

With no good options I hope the front office chooses to not saddle the team with a long-term commitment. Go with a platoon at either first of third, or give the 3B job to Jed Lowrie and hope it works out. Just don't do something we'll all regret in a couple years.

Jeter is getting a free pass because he's likely to have knee surgery in the next couple of weeks.

Then he shouldn't have been playing. Playing hurt is fine as long as you can help. If he's going to hurt the team he should sit. He was awful at bat and awful in the field. The Yankees would have been better off with a back-up in there.

Theo wont sign Lowell if he want anything on 3+ years.

I would rather try to get Miguel Cabera than signing Arod. Trade Youk? no, youk put up good numbers and nice D on first base, plus he's cheap for the next 2 years(500k)

Texeria could be a plus, but I dont know how they would pay him. He is after all Boros's guy.

I'm not even sure Theo and John willing to pay Arod caliber salary while we have Manny on board. It's toooo much.

Most assume they won't bring Manny back next year... his production is definately dropping... but I don't rule it out.

Most assume they won't bring Manny back next year... his production is definately dropping... but I don't rule it out.

Manny is signed for another year, and I don't see anyone wanting him in a trade considering his salary, defense, and the fact he's coming off a down year offensively. I guess he could be attractive on a subsidized one year deal if he doesn't cost much in a trade, but in that case why not keep him?

Would take Lowell over April Rod.. better value, better team player, by doing this can add a complimentary player somewhere else.. April will not do good in another big media market, where every move is scrutinized.

Manny is signed for another year, and I don't see anyone wanting him in a trade considering his salary, defense, and the fact he's coming off a down year offensively. I guess he could be attractive on a subsidized one year deal if he doesn't cost much in a trade, but in that case why not keep him?

The owners can probably think of $20 million reasons for putting him on waivers... where'd likely be snapped up. I wasn't really thinking given his pricetag that he'd get a lot in trade.

So it would be a question of where they might better spend $20 million next year and what players they might want to sign to long term contracts.

I don't have the answers - I think its premature to give up on Manny, and think we need protection for Ortiz. Is $20 million more than I think Manny's worth? Yes - but so long as they are willing to spend the money on pitching even with Manny under contract next season, I don't so much care what the team's payroll is.

Would take Lowell over April Rod.. better value, better team player, by doing this can add a complimentary player somewhere else.. April will not do good in another big media market, where every move is scrutinized.
If you want value than why not sign Mike Lamb? He has a similar career average and OBP as Lowell and his career SLG is a bit lower, but he'll come at less than half the cost. Are 5-10HR worth $7M more? Or sign Tony Clark and move Youkilis to third. Clark and Lowell have a similar career OBP and SLG, but Clark would be lucky to get $6M a season next year. Or why not sign both? The two of them combine will probably be cheaper than Lowell.

Is having a bunch of decent players better than having one great one? Would trading Beckett to the Twins for Boof Bonser and Carlos Silva make sense because they combine for more wins last season in addition to being cheaper? Was signing Manny Ramirez in 2001 a bad move when they could have signed a bunch of guys like Jose Valentin, David Segui and Todd Hollandsworth? Of course not. Value is why they keep Tim Wakefield. Value is not why they pass on signing a franchise changing superstar.

. Value is not why they pass on signing a franchise changing superstar.

Yea, that's why we do not want to sign A-Rod. We want to continue making the playoffs and do well in them.

Yea, that's why we do not want to sign A-Rod. We want to continue making the playoffs and do well in them.
So it makes perfect sense to resign a guy with a lifetime .218BA in the postseason.

So it makes perfect sense to resign a guy with a lifetime .218BA in the postseason.
I do not want to sign A-Rod. He's great in the regular season and is not worth the bucks. I did not like signing Nancy Drew either, big name with a big contract. For next year, I like Lowell at third, Youk at first, Lynn's kid in center, Manny in left (oh yea, his skills are declining), and keep feeding the kids at Pawtucket whatever it is they are eating. We do not have to bring in any big time free agents. The Sox need to get ready to extend some of the home town talent.

I do not want to sign A-Rod. He's great in the regular season and is not worth the bucks. I did not like signing Nancy Drew either, big name with a big contract. For next year, I like Lowell at third, Youk at first, Lynn's kid in center, Manny in left (oh yea, his skills are declining), and keep feeding the kids at Pawtucket whatever it is they are eating. We do not have to bring in any big time free agents. The Sox need to get ready to extend some of the home town talent.
I'm glad you think Pawtucket is some magical factory of baseball players, but in reality the farm system has no one capable of hitting for power that will be ready anytime soon. Once Manny leaves next year (and he will unless he shows he is worth $20M) they're going to need to fill his void as best they can. If ARod opts out what better option is there? Lars Anderson may be a quality power bat in 2011, while guys like Miguel Cabrera would cost the farm to get. ARod is a sure thing that only costs money.

Maybe you don't think they need another bat in the lineup, or you think that Manny will be an offensive force for another 3 years, but I'm not so optimistic.

I'm glad you think Pawtucket is some magical factory of baseball players, but in reality the farm system has no one capable of hitting for power that will be ready anytime soon. Once Manny leaves next year (and he will unless he shows he is worth $20M) they're going to need to fill his void as best they can. If ARod opts out what better option is there? Lars Anderson may be a quality power bat in 2011, while guys like Miguel Cabrera would cost the farm to get. ARod is a sure thing that only costs money.

Maybe you don't think they need another bat in the lineup, or you think that Manny will be an offensive force for another 3 years, but I'm not so optimistic.

You mean Pawtucket isn't some magical factory of baseball players? Next you'll tell me there's not a Santa Clause. Well, in the last few years; Youk at first, a rookie of the year at second, all star shortstop, next year's rookie of the year, two no-hitter pitchers, arguably the best closer in baseball, a couple of good set-up guys. So what your saying is, they will not be able to replace Manny in two years. Gee, how many players in baseball can match Manny's numbers? I don't know what is down there at Pawtucket, but I like what they have given the big club, and just as soon develop them then bring in the anti dirty dog. Hey, if your an A-Rod fan then more power to you. He couldn't handle NY, and in some circles, Boston is a tougher city. He needs to go west, young man.

You mean Pawtucket isn't some magical factory of baseball players? Next you'll tell me there's not a Santa Clause. Well, in the last few years; Youk at first, a rookie of the year at second, all star shortstop, next year's rookie of the year, two no-hitter pitchers, arguably the best closer in baseball, a couple of good set-up guys. So what your saying is, they will not be able to replace Manny in two years. Gee, how many players in baseball can match Manny's numbers? I don't know what is down there at Pawtucket, but I like what they have given the big club, and just as soon develop them then bring in the anti dirty dog. Hey, if your an A-Rod fan then more power to you. He couldn't handle NY, and in some circles, Boston is a tougher city. He needs to go west, young man.
I love what the FO has done with the farm system and have been saying so before their success in the majors. I love the fact that they have a great deal of young homegrown talent that is doing so well, but my only point was that the organization does not have any power hitters on the horizon. If they don't have them in the organization they need to go to free agency, or try to be a punch and judy team. But you're right, not many players can replicate Mannys numbers (which is why I said as best they can). But ARod is one who can do that and more.

Two MVP awards in four years means he can't handle the toughness of a city? 44ABs is a greater sample size to you than 4 years? Would you be upset if the Sox acquired Jake Peavy or Vlad Guerrero because of their post season numbers?

I don't want that punk ass GayRod on the Red Sox. The Yankees or whoever else is stupid enough to get hijacked to the tune of 30 million + can have him.

He's like the Peyton Manning of baseball, big regular season stats and then crapola in the playoffs. Only difference is that Manning got lucky last year while GayRod will never even see a World Series nevermind a championship.

He can't handle the pressure because he's a little ***** and there is no way he is worth 30 million. Resign Lowell and use the remaining 15-18 million to get another starter. Screw GayRod, he is a loser.

I heard a lot of Yankee players might be catching the subway to Queens. I heard A-Rod, Posada, and Rivera are all possibly becoming Mets players. A-Rod will be a Met before a Sox. I heard the A-Rod to Mets thing a few times before this making it a bunch of times. David Wright already said he would gladly move to short stop for A-Rod to play third.

You might not like his style but he made a great point. The Sox have no power above A ball. You can't replace Manny with guys like Youk, Ellsbury, and Pedroia. And you can't teach power.

If Boston feels they need to replace Manny the solution needs to come from outside the organization.

WEEI reported today that Boras intents to ask for a 12 year deal if ARod opts out.....no thanks

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back