PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reche Caldwell="Deer caught in the Headlights"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think Gostkowski and Caldwell have been put into improbable situations. One's replacing the best place kicker the game has seen, the other is replacing a Super Bowl MVP. Caldwell's a serviceable #2 or 3 receiver. To think he's going to step into the #1 slot and put up Branch's numbers is illogical. Right now NOBODY here can predict how this receiving core is going to turn out. IF Jackson gets on the field and shows the same flashes briefly veiled upon us during the Jets game. IF Gabriel and Brady can continue on the same page like in last game's 4th Quarter. IF Caldwell can run better routes and do a better job of getting open. Brady will correct himself once he stops moping about Deion.

The 3 IF's I mentioned- It's anybody's guessing game. We could have an excellent receiving core for years to come, or we could have a dreadful one which will need to be fine tuned next year. It's the wait and see game gentlemen.

Kdo5 said:
Is it really that the recieving corps isnt very good? Well we'd know if Brady was himself, was motivating his team and playing up to his ability and we all know how could he can play then. It seems like we are judging a recieving corps based on previous years or the fact that most of them hardly played much. Wait for Brady to get back on track then we can judge who is bad and who is good. Caldwell hasnt looked bad.

So it's all Brady's fault then?

I'm just struck by the weird coincidence that right when Tom Brady is (as I understand it,) spiritually and emotionally beaten down like a dog that peed in the corner, he is also getting used to a brand new receiving corps. As I hear it, he is so chronically depressed that he throws balls five and ten yards off in a fit of suicidal gloominess.

The incredible coincidence is that that is exactly what would happen when receivers and QB aren't on the same wavelength, the playbook's not quite absorbed, etc. And coincidentally, that is EXACTLY what Brady and his receivers are going through right now. Weird, it almost looks like that's the most important factor here.

I'm sure the Pats are getting ready to break down all those misses as we speak. I also think their conversations are going to be very different from what we see on this board and in the Boston Globe. A lot of mis-cues, a lot of "oopses" this game. Something tells me that the sky is not, in fact, crashing down.

The Pats are pros, consumate pros at that (the "pro's pros.") I have faith in these guys to stay tough through the adversity and the bumps in the road, and we WILL be there in December.

Nobody's without emotions. Nobody's permanently immune from being demoralized. But the Pats aren't without viable options at receiver, and Brady knows this.

Outta here for the night. Keep the faith people,

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
I'm just struck by the weird coincidence that right when Tom Brady is (as I understand it,) spiritually and emotionally beaten down like a dog that peed in the corner, he is also getting used to a brand new receiving corps. As I hear it, he is so chronically depressed that he throws balls five and ten yards off in a fit of suicidal gloominess.

The incredible coincidence is that that is exactly what would happen when receivers and QB aren't on the same wavelength, the playbook's not quite absorbed, etc. And coincidentally, that is EXACTLY what Brady and his receivers are going through right now. Weird, it almost looks like that's the most important factor here.

I'm sure the Pats are getting ready to break down all those misses as we speak. I also think their conversations are going to be very different from what we see on this board and in the Boston Globe. A lot of mis-cues, a lot of "oopses" this game. Something tells me that the sky is not, in fact, crashing down.

The Pats are pros, consumate pros at that (the "pro's pros.") I have faith in these guys to stay tough through the adversity and the bumps in the road, and we WILL be there in December.

Nobody's without emotions. Nobody's permanently immune from being demoralized. But the Pats aren't without viable options at receiver, and Brady knows this.

Outta here for the night. Keep the faith people,

PFnV

You know it PFnV - this offense will be a high powered offense when it needs it the most - come December & playoffs & a 2nd trip to SoBe.
Just look around here folks and take note of the doomsayers Vs those that can look down the road a bit.

marcus said:
Have an open mind and look at his on field performance.

So many of the "regulars" on this board just by reflex automatically dismiss any criticism of the team or even BB.

If you don't lavish praise on BB/Pioli or any players out here it is viewed as an act of treason.

At the end of the season...you will be saying the same thing but adding "everone is entitled to some personel mistakes"

Lets look at:

1) letting Viniaterri, Branch and Givens go
2) Not signing even a singl;e starting player from another team...while being 12 million under the cap.

It defies logic...you geniuses explain it

I'll give it a shot. When you win in this copycat league, everyone wants a piece of you. How many teams are trying to play the 3-4 now?
If you can't compete, you sign away the winner's players by over-paying them. It's a double win. You get the players services and weaken your opponent by depriving them. Don't underestimate the second part of that equation. The league's history is littered with teams who have gotten into cap he** who have over-payed favorites, only because someone bid them up. The Jets play for Branch is a clear example. Likewise the Colts signing Vinateri. McGinest was probably the only one to leave who will earn his salary, being an on-field coach for RAC's 3-4, which he couldn't get done last yr. Givens big payday surprised me until I remembered Fisher's chagrin over the play-off loss. (BB is not immune to this, either, he just doesn't spend real big. Caldwell, Dwight, J. Smith, A. Smith, all guys who have burned us one time or another.) Again, the mistake is not letting the player go, it's over-paying to keep him, 9 times out of 10.

Signing players before the draft is something they seldom do. Who was the last? Monte Biesel. Why? Poor draft and Tedy just had his stroke. If Chad Brown had been available, Biesel never would have happened,IMO. Further, the cap space was saved for Law, who got an extra yr from KC. (Unlikely to be realized, IMO.) Someone else was on their agenda as well but that didn't work out either. They will pay for a FA they think is good, Colvin is an example.

Hope this helps.

I think Caldwell has been "adequate". Nothing more, and nothing less. Not good, or bad. I hope at least most agree that Gabriel is the better WR, and will and should be higher on that depth chart when him and Brady get a better feel for each other. Even if Reche and Gabriel have same pass catching skills and quickness, Gabriel is bigger and more physical. FWIW, Gabriel seems have the edge on catching the ball. Reche uses his body too much instead of his hands. Maybe I missed Gabriel doing the same but I don't think so.

I think if CJ and Gabriel get completely healthy, Reche will make a great 4th receiver towards the end of the season, and a 3rd next year depending on the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents