PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Real life Club Level dilemma. Take the tickets?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What would you do?

• His dad doesn't bank with you! Take the tickets!

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Politely tell him you can't accept..

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • Ask your boss for "special consideration".

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Get a new job. Accept the tickets!

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting perspective. In other words, the bank's "rules" seem to unrealistically prohibit employees from forming personal relationships with customers outside the context of business dealings. Myself and others have tried to suggest this: with no quid pro quo, where is the conflict? Further, there's no way management would have found out about it short of being told directly by employee or customer. The moment management was told you know it was dead in the water simply because it gave the HR drone a chance to exercise authority and feel important.

And where's the guarantee that the "friend"/customer won't come back a few days after the game and say: "You know those tickets I gave you? I bet that kind of thing is against company policy. Boy, in this economy I'd hate to see you in the unemployment line. You've got a family to feed, right? Well, I'll tell ya. I'll keep my mouth shut. But I really could use a sweet deal on a home loan, etc. Wink, wink."

I'm not saying the customer in this case would stoop to blackmail. But not everyone will give people they barely know (people in sensitive positions) great deals on stuff out of the goodness of their heart. Ethics rules don't just exist so some HR lackey can feel important.

Last edited:
That's an interesting perspective. In other words, the bank's "rules" seem to unrealistically prohibit employees from forming personal relationships with customers outside the context of business dealings. Myself and others have tried to suggest this: with no quid pro quo, where is the conflict? Further, there's no way management would have found out about it short of being told directly by employee or customer. The moment management was told you know it was dead in the water simply because it gave the HR drone a chance to exercise authority and feel important.

It is true that monitoring this kind of gift giving is almost impossible to do. However, the policy does give the employee guidelines and a resource to contact in the event of a quandary. In this instance, the policy did it's job.

It makes it easier for everyone involved in business if you cannot accept gifts. Sure, you can say there's no 'quid pro quo', but he's the branch manager of a bank. This gift could be the first in a long line of gifts intended to gain leverage against him. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

IMO, corporate policies on gifts tend to be pretty reasonable. They allow tokens of appreciation, but do not allow bribery or kickbacks. Sure, they thwart the occasional friendly gesture, but the friendly gestures are often indistinguishable from shady actions to others, so it's best just to avoid the appearance of impropriety. Especially in a financial institution where image is everything.

It's a good thing you did not accept the tickets. If you did, you would have to explain how you got the tickets along your way to the unemployment line.

Ha, I thought this thread would be dead this morning. Thanks everyone for their feedback and suggestions.

Here's the thing Tunes...I can form friendships with customers, and do, but the bank's rules are that if I form a "close, personal relationship" with a customer, or if its a relative, I'm not allowed to assist them with many aspects of their banking (i.e. refunding fees, changing their accounts or opening new ones). I've seen people termed for it.

My boss said something interesting when I laid all this on her. She said, "I wish he was a good friend of yours." IOW, then I might have been able to accept the tickets - just like I can accept a gift from a family member who banks with us - because it would be understood I can't assist him with his banking anyway. I know I could have just "stretched the truth" at that point (heck I do consider the guy my friend on some level - he's a cool guy and he offered me free Pats tickets!), but I couldn't live with having to explain all this to the guy. "Ya, thanks for the tickets. I can never help you again!"

(And just FYI, I was off yesterday and today. I'm pretty sure frequent posting on a Patriot message board while at work would be a violation of the company's code of conduct ;) )

Last edited:
Love the irony in this thread about the economy being the way it is in part because of a banking culture with the ethical radar of a rutabaga.

I think you handled it well, but I think if you took it one step further it would have been perfect. Allow me to take the tickets. I can live blog the experience to you and send pictures. It will be just like you are there. I know it's a lot for you to ask of me, especially considering that we don't know each other, but am happy to do it for a fellow Pats fan. :)

How about buying the tickets for the opening game vs. the Titans and exchanging them with the tickets of your customer?
I know, you would use a loophole (if this is possible), but you would stay clean.

I went to a pre season game in 05 in Cincinnati so before any of that crap and the fans were still pretty obnoxious. I think that's just the way Cincinnati is.
Those who live there call it Cincinasty, and I'm serious.

Love the irony in this thread about the economy being the way it is in part because of a banking culture with the ethical radar of a rutabaga.

Do you really think the ethical compass of our country is jeopardized by a guy who has no influence to sell going to a football game because a guy asking nothing in return has them to give away?

Do you really think the ethical compass of our country is jeopardized by a guy who has no influence to sell going to a football game because a guy asking nothing in return has them to give away?

I'm not sure how you drew this conclusions. Why would the manager of a large bank branch have no influence of value to his client? And how can you tell that the client won't expect preferential treatment based on his generosity? (Doesn't a businessman offering his banker a rare treat worth thousands of dollars set off some warning bells?)

Explicit quid pro quo bribes are just the tip of the iceberg in ethics violations. Props to the OP for resisting a major temptation and handling this right.

club level is great...but it seems as if everyone takes their sweet ass time getting there before kickoff

I'm not sure how you drew this conclusions. Why would the manager of a large bank branch have no influence of value to his client? And how can you tell that the client won't expect preferential treatment based on his generosity? (Doesn't a businessman offering his banker a rare treat worth thousands of dollars set off some warning bells?)

Explicit quid pro quo bribes are just the tip of the iceberg in ethics violations. Props to the OP for resisting a major temptation and handling this right.

What type of influence do you expect he would have? I do not know what bank he works for, but unless its outright stealing for the guy, most bank branch managers aren't making unilateral unchecked transactions and decisions.
I took the OP at his work that he would take them under an understanding that they were a gift with no strings attached.
This is one of the big problems with regulation in this country, especially in the banking industry.
So much time, effort and resources are wasted on make believe regulations and policies that are put in place after malfeasance happened under the noses of the regulators. These face-saving measures get implemented and called the solution when all they do is restrict the majority from violations they never intended to commit in the first place.
The mortgage industry has seen 80-90% of its originators eliminated from the industry by testing, education, and ethical qualifications. There is no longer such thing as a sub prime mortgage loan. Yet to this day, regulators are implementing measures designed to prevent what the dishonest people in the sub prime arena were doing, when they are no longer allowed to transact business and the business they transacted is no longer in existence. The sole purpose is for law makers to be able to earn points with voters by making believe they are addressing a real existing problem. The result is more regulation and restriction where it is no needed, and a tightening of credit to those who need it most.

Should have said ... here is my Wife's phone # , unfortunately "I" cannot accept gifts.

Edit: Also ... I can always use tickets lol .... Veterans day weekend sounds great!

Last edited:

I love the irony in this post that a lighthearted original post, followed by a symbolic, non literal post about irony is treated with fury and seriousness as if it were literal and mattered.

What a reflection of stupidity is is to choose intensity and seriousness in matters that aren't.

Everyone who posts on this board is living in paradise. About 37,000,000,000 people have lived on the planet since we started keeping records, and 99% of the posters here are living a top 1% life. Let's enjoy it.

I would politely turn them down. It's not worth losing your job over a football game.

It isn't just a football game. It's a Pats game. :D

I love the irony in this post that a lighthearted original post, followed by a symbolic, non literal post about irony is treated with fury and seriousness as if it were literal and mattered.

What a reflection of stupidity is is to choose intensity and seriousness in matters that aren't.

Everyone who posts on this board is living in paradise. About 37,000,000,000 people have lived on the planet since we started keeping records, and 99% of the posters here are living a top 1% life. Let's enjoy it.

If you get fury and seriousness out of my post, that is a you problem.

I would not take the tickets.

The OP agreed to a set of conditions as terms for employment. to try to backdoor the agreement is disingenuous at best.

This is one of the biggest problems with our society today.......nobody's word is worth a damned........which is why our society is filled with lawyers

(Disclaimer: I admit this is very O.T. and pretty self-indulgent; but it's the off-season, and I really am interested in what my fellow patsfans think of my dilemma..)

I manage a fairly large bank (branch). Like most banks, we have a strict policy about accepting gifts. If it's edible, can be shared, and worth $25 or less we can accept; otherwise, it can be considered a "code of conduct" violation and you can be, well, fired.

So, the other day a customer of mine sees my Pats mug on my desk, starts ribbing me for SB 46 (he's a Giants fan), then says to me, "Hey, you know my father's company in Boston gets Pats season tickets, club level. He never uses them. Pick a game and I'll get you 4 tickets -- bring your family!"

He came back 2 days later and says, "I talked to my dad, you're all set. How 'bout the Bills game Veteran's Day weekend?" He's never asked me for a thing in return. And his dad doesn't bank with us.

Now I've seen exactly one NFL game my entire life (MNF, Pats/Bengals, 2007. Brady to Moss!). My 12 yr old son, never. So, basically, dream of a lifetime: take my kid(s) and wife to see Brady/BB era team, club level, Gillette. (Something I'll probably never afford on my own.)

I figure I've got 4 options (see poll). What would you do?

(Oh, for anyone who's ever been: just how nice is club level at Gillette anyway? )

l64614-1.jpg

[Removed in light of your subsequent decision.]

Last edited:
I would not take the tickets.

The OP agreed to a set of conditions as terms for employment. to try to backdoor the agreement is disingenuous at best.

This is one of the biggest problems with our society today.......nobody's word is worth a damned........which is why our society is filled with lawyers

Well said. Even considering it as a realistic possibility raises serious questions of judgment.

Can you buy them from him for face value?

You're out the cash, but you are also out of an ethical quandary.

EDIT: I'm sure that the price of the tickets is less than your salary, so you'll come out ahead in the money aspect as well =)

Under the policies of his company, he could buy them for Face Value minus $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back