PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Real life Club Level dilemma. Take the tickets?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What would you do?

• His dad doesn't bank with you! Take the tickets!

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Politely tell him you can't accept..

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • Ask your boss for "special consideration".

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Get a new job. Accept the tickets!

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to be honest with you and say I don't see how this is a "dilemma" - your employer's policy makes it pretty clear that such a thing is unacceptable. So what I'd do is ask my boss for permission since the worst he can do is say no, but mentally prepare myself for having to politely decline.

EDIT: Having read the rest of this thread, that seems pretty much like what you did. :D

Last edited:
This is what I did. Oh trust me, I definitely went through every possible scenario in my head, and ya I admit I thought about just accepting them and keeping my mouth shut! (Another part of this story is that this customer is actually pretty well-to-do and only lives in Louisville part of the year. And he basically said to me "No one else has to know"; I think he realized he kind of put me in a quandry.)

But, in the end I came clean to my boss, who was actually very cool about it and said she'd forward it to HR.

The email came back the next day:

"Accepting the tickets is a violation of the compant's code of conduct.

Thank you for involving me."

So, we've come up with Plan B, which is not quite as exciting but allows me to keep a clear conscience, and my job:

Titans season opener against the Pats! Only a couple hours drive away and still some tickets left on StubHub. Wonder what the view's like from the nosebleeds ;)

I dont think the Titans single game tickets have been put on sale yet so maybe you can get them at face when they do.

I dont think the Titans single game tickets have been put on sale yet so maybe you can get them at face when they do.

Good thought. Hadn't even thought of that! :bricks:

Hope the Titans fans are nicer than the Bengals fans in '07. Was only a month or so after ***Gate and I had to deal with thousands of people screaming "Cheaters!!!!" every time the Pats came on the field. We pretty much shut them up by the 3rd quarter though ;)

Last edited:
Since you cannot accept them is there some sort of loophole that will allow that person to give the tickets to your friend? Then your friend can give them to you. Technically that way you did not accept the tickets.

Yes, and "technically" they could have fired me over it. :eek: Oh ya, I played that one out in my mind too brother! Beware of loopholes!

Good thought. Hadn't even thought of that! :bricks:

Hope the Titans fans are nicer than the Bengals fans in '07. Was only a month or so after ***Gate and I had to deal with thousands of people screaming "Cheaters!!!!" every time the Pats came on the field. We pretty much shut them up by the 3rd quarter though ;)

I went to a pre season game in 05 in Cincinnati so before any of that crap and the fans were still pretty obnoxious. I think that's just the way Cincinnati is.

It would be inappropriate to accept them.
There's a reason companies prevent this.

personally I would accept them and keep my mouth shut.

Ah, forgot to mention: "Code of Conduct" states you actually can't pay for tickets that were offered to you from a customer.

(FYI I've already made my decision. Will reveal later.)

Wait a minute. So I can offer you season tickets and then you can never go to a game? What if I offer you a non-transferable $200 gift card to the local super market of your choice and make you starve to death?:)

Do you own a gun.:)

Last edited:
Ah, forgot to mention: "Code of Conduct" states you actually can't pay for tickets that were offered to you from a customer.

(FYI I've already made my decision. Will reveal later.)

Under what circmstances would anyone even find out?

It seems like some of these rules would be unenforceable and possibly illegitimate legal wise. If your brother had an account at the bank you work at would he not be able to give you gifts?

Wait a minute. So I can offer you season tickets and then you can never go to a game?
No, you just can't buy those tickets. In other words, you're barred from both accepting free tickets from a customer and from buying tickets from a customer, since even buying tickets at face value can be seen as a benefit (if they're sold out, for example).

It seems like some of these rules would be unenforceable and possibly illegitimate legal wise. If your brother had an account at the bank you work at would he not be able to give you gifts?
No, but there are probably other rules in place to prevent you from having any influence over your brother's account if he has one (whether he's approved for a loan, etc).

Try doing business in Asia. You can't get anywhere without leaving a brown bag stuffed with charitable donations pre-meeting.

Where is the conflict? He didn't ask for anything in return. If you're comfortable that you won't be beholding to him in any way, take the gift. Maybe it would ease your mind to tell him that you will graciously accept it but not to expect any special considerations as a result because it could get you fired. If he's cool with that -- and he should be if he's a decent person -- things should be fine. Further, you could arrange to pick up the tickets away from your workplace so the actual "transaction" is on a personal level.

The club seats are the best in the stadium. Make sure you tell us what you decide!

Edit: shame on me for not reading the whole thread before posting. You probably did the prudent thing. In my case, the older I get the more of a "go for it and screw being prudent" attitude I tend to have about iffy prospects.

Last edited:
you could tell him you can't accept but if they show up in the mail anonymously with no return address you don't know who they are from if you catch my drift.

Risking your job and your families welfare for a day at the park is way too much risk for me. Say thanks but no thanks, and watch from home.

Can you say that you have become friends with him due to the contact you have had with him during work, and he offered you the tickets because they are spare?

Can you say that you have become friends with him due to the contact you have had with him during work, and he offered you the tickets because they are spare?

That's an interesting perspective. In other words, the bank's "rules" seem to unrealistically prohibit employees from forming personal relationships with customers outside the context of business dealings. Myself and others have tried to suggest this: with no quid pro quo, where is the conflict? Further, there's no way management would have found out about it short of being told directly by employee or customer. The moment management was told you know it was dead in the water simply because it gave the HR drone a chance to exercise authority and feel important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots