PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to the Zoltan Mesko Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little early but obviously they felt he was the best punter in the draft. This is an expected pick. The Pats were seen talking to/working out this kid. And with this selection I am saved from going 0 fer in this years guess the Pats picks game!!

Last edited:
photo.matthew_lesko.gif

Wrong guy?

Last edited:
A punter in the 5th round. I can only imagine what Mel Kiper is saying. Not that Mel matters of course.

They take a punter...one of the most criticized spots for them for years- the hell with his placement in the draft, they needed a punter.

Wrong guy?

Nope, he's the one they wanted. Punter is a definite need for this team. Just like longsnapper was a need last year, and the Pats picked the guy they thought can best do the job.

6'4" 240 lbs.. he is a big one.

Nice that the Pats have the luxury to do this, now they can look for the Elvis Dumervils of the world.

National Football League: NFL Draft 2010 - Zoltan Mesko

Mesko is a four-year starter that had his best season punting the football in 2009. He averaged 44.5 yards in 52 attempts with 0 blocked. Mesko is excellent at dropping the ball inside the twenty yard line to pin opponents deep into their own territory. Mesko has good size and athleticism for the position with above average leg strength. Mesko has been effective in tough weather conditions and shows poise under pressure. He has been solid with his hang time and distance but isn’t an elite punter in this years draft. Mesko is a solid prospect that will likely get his named called late in the draft.

Great pick! The best punter of the draft. Remember we will only hear Pats late in 6th round so he could have been picked in between.

Last edited:
They take a punter...one of the most criticized spots for them for years- the hell with his placement in the draft, they needed a punter.

Exactly, I don't give a damn where we take one, I just want a good punter. Not saying this guy is, I don't know much about him, but if they feel he is, then get him while you can. Our punting game has been such sh*t since Josh Miller, so I really hope either this kid or the Aussie we signed can get it done.

..... and Ausbacker just got a little nervous. :D

I agree that they need a punter, and have no problem with them drafting one. I just wouldn't have done it in the 5th round. I'd rather they move up and take Ricky Sapp.

You don't mess with Zoltan. :rocker:

Great pick! The best punter of the draft. Remember we will only hear Pats late in 6th round so he could have been picked in between.

I don't feel he was the best punter of the draft. Not after his horrible week at the Senior Bowl.

So far, this is the only pick that I am worried about..

photo.matthew_lesko.gif

Wrong guy?

I don't think so. And neither does Mayock.

Mike Mayock, NFL Network
150 -- Patriots -- P Zoltan Mesko

There's special teams player teams player of the draft off the board. Looks like the Patriots got sick of inconsistent punting over the last decade, or so, and used a fifth-round pick on heavy-legged punter. I like the pick a lot. It will help the Patriots immensely.

First-team Academic All-American as well. I always like getting bright kids.

Zoltan-ized! Gad Zoots! We definitely needed a punter. BB Mesko really like the Zoltanator.............

Cold weather punter is all I need to hear.

Football is a game of field position and we've suffered enough subpar kicking and field position from the 'Hanson era'. Glad to see us address this glaring hole in our Special Teams unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft