PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

I can't read it because it's behind the paywall, but the director of the series is responding to the criticism of how Bill's portrayal:

I can't read it because it's behind the paywall, but the director of the series is responding to the criticism of how Bill's portrayal:
That link is to this podcast:

"I really don't get it," the director says of the series being a rip job on Bill. He sort of blamed Bill for not answering the questions he was asking.

One of the local sport stations had him on this week, I missed it but probably same info on this one.
I'm listening to it now. The director blames Bill for not answering the questions.

He also said he didn't want to recreate 3 Games to Glory and all the other series. So he focused less on some of the Super Bowls and more on the storylines.

I'm listening to it now. The director blames Bill for not answering the questions.
Well, it's Bill being Bill, right? He's not nearly as chatty as he is with NFL Films. I know I am riding that horse a lot, but I think that's a big part of it. NFL Films' job is to make the NFL look good, so Bill has a level of trust with them that he clearly doesn't with this project. I expect more of the same in the last 4 episodes, him being his usual grumpy, one word answer self.

What Dynasty is this documentary about? For those not in the know it comes across as a documentary about a troubled football club of cheating, murderous dirtbags. Doesn’t bode well for the rest of the series. I’ve enjoyed the insight from so many people but other than that have found the whole thing depressing as ****.

In the podcast, the director talks about how the Cassel year is setting up the Brady mortality thread that will pick up later. So, he clearly is trying to tell a story through all of the episodes.

Well, it's Bill being Bill, right? He's not nearly as chatty as he is with NFL Films. I know I am riding that horse a lot, but I think that's a big part of it. NFL Films' job is to make the NFL look good, so Bill has a level of trust with them that he clearly doesn't with this project. I expect more of the same in the last 4 episodes, him being his usual grumpy, one word answer self.
I think you're right about his familiarity with NFL films, but I don't think Bill would answer questions about Spygate to anyone at this point.

But also, I think Bill would prefer the story of his run with the Patriots to be about football and not about storylines.

Overheard quote of Dynasty Episode 7: "At the end of the 2014 Super Bowl, all the knowledgeable Patriot coaches were yelling at Belichick to follow the analytics & take a timeout. But Belichick, stuck in the old ways and holding a grudge against analytics, was slow to process what was going on. It was one of the worst coaching decisions in Super Bowl history. But then Pete Carroll saved Belichick from infamy with the decision to throw the ball on second down!"

I have not seen the episode, so my guesses as to who said this are as follows:

A. Boston media member (Volin, Felger, etc)
B. Yelling shows panelist (Bayless, Nick Wright, etc)
C. Patsfans poster
D. Seahawks player

I think you're right about his familiarity with NFL films, but I don't think Bill would answer questions about Spygate to anyone at this point.

But also, I think Bill would prefer the story of his run with the Patriots to be about football and not about storylines.
Wouldn't you love to give BB sodium pentothal and ask questions for half an hour?

The Seahawks had burned a timeout unnecessarily on the long miracle catch by Lockett. Bill giving them an extra TO would have made Pete decide that he had enough time and TOs to run the ball. Bill made the right decision by trusting his instincts and what his eyes were telling him about the Seahawks being disorganized.

The Seahawks had burned a timeout unnecessarily on the long miracle catch by Lockett. Bill giving them an extra TO would have made Pete decide that he had enough time and TOs to run the ball. Bill made the right decision by trusting his instincts and what his eyes were telling him about the Seahawks being disorganized.
I think they cut all discussion of this Super Bowl to talk more about Deflategate. (Kidding, but maybe only slightly)

He also said he didn't want to recreate 3 Games to Glory and all the other series. So he focused less on some of the Super Bowls and more on the storylines.
I think we all know how difficult Bill can be with the media but that's a lame excuse.

And if he wasn't going to be open and available then that kind of blows up the premise that this is a retelling of the dynasty through the 3 most high profile members Bill, Brady, and Kraft.

The lack of answers from Bill doesn't give someone making a documentary the right to interpret things against that person. A simple "We don't know" would suffice.

Last edited:
I think they cut all discussion of this Super Bowl to talk more about Deflategate. (Kidding, but maybe only slightly)
It's clear that they 100% did not want to do America's Game over again. From a story telling point of view, the areas of dramatic conflict are much more compelling. Tom's story has been told, twice, thru The Brady 6 and The Man in the Arena. The great coaching has been told thru the Do Your Job 1-2, and the AH thing was covered by Netflix, but, and not surprisingly, ignored by the NFL and the other other sports media outlets. (at least from a storytelling point of view) The real drama stuff; Tom supplanting Drew, the Gates, Butler, AH and the final divorce make for good TV, but it's not about football. It's about the people, the relationships and the emotions.

I think they could have done without the Tom's knee storyline, but it's part of it. Coming off the loss in 2007, then the knee injury in 2008 really drove home the drive to be successful late in Tom's career. I maintain that if they had won in 2007, they might have all kind of exhaled and say "there. We did it. No one is ever going to be better." We may not have seen the last three wins. I think they have not connected those dots, yet anyway. It'll be interesting to see if they do.

The lack of questions from Bill doesn't give someone making a documentary to interpret things against that person. A simple "We don't know" would suffice.
The thing that bothered me about the director's answer is that the complaints aren't about what Bill did or didn't say, it's in the editing, such as almost blaming the murder on Bill because he didn't trade AH. As a director, he must know how editing influences the story, but he didn't address that and the MassLive folks didn't ask about it.

the fact it and the mayo contract were done prior to 2023 tells me bill was a lame duck last year.
Bill wouldn't have gotten fired this year if the team didn't fall apart. Kraft maybe wanted to move on to Mayo, but you can't sell that to the fanbase without the results of the past year. People were still holding out hope in the last 4 games.

They aren't going to cover any of the Do Your Job stuff, as it's been covered. I'll wager it'll come up on the Butler decision episode though.

How could you leave the former Super Bowl hero on the bench?

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back