PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ray Lewis wants out of Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATSNUTme said:
OK, lests say he want out of Baltimore. And let's say that he still is a good MLB, altough I don't think so.

What make any one think that he would sign with us for anything that is reasonable. He will be looking for a much bigger payday than what we would be willing to give. And, unless Balt releases him we would have to give something up to Balt for him.

This whole thing is just plain nuts.

That's pretty much true with any recognizable name. I would be astonished if we ever snagged up some star player other than the ones that we actually draft. That still doesn't give you permission to smash our dreams into a million pieces. :D

Ray Lewis is a solid NFL LB right now, nothing more nothing less. Some teams he can start for, others he can't.

He is still very good in pass coverage although not as good as he used to be which to be fair no one is.

He is average at best against the run. He's never been able to fight off blocks. He used to be so quick that he didn't have to. Now that he has lost a step or 2 instead of getting to the hole before the blocker he gets there too late and the blocker is waiting and Lewis gets pushed down the field. There was a time when you couldn't even attempt to go wide against Baltimore because of Lewis. Not anymore because he doesn't have the wheels to get out there.

Ray Lewis game was based on speed. Like most every player who has taken as many hits as he has his body has started breaking down and he has lost a step or 2. Without that speed, he is nothing special anymore.

Why if he is still a great LB is no one interested, including his own team? A 2nd round pick is all they can get?

I'm surprised that anyone would be the least bit interested in trading something of value for the opportunity to give Ray Lewis the going away present he wants for a contract so that he can struggle trying to take on guards in our 3-4 which he doesn't want to play in to start with.

Last edited:
dhamz said:
Some teams he can start for, others he can't.
He would start for any team in the NFL.

drew4008 said:
He would start for any team in the NFL.

BS! He could compete to play for the Pats; its not certain or even probable that he would start.

Who does he sit? Tedy? Vrabes? I don't think so. After a year of learning ther BB D, he might play, not before.

Is he better than Beisel sure, so what? That just means he makes the club...

AzPatsFan said:
BS! He could compete to play for the Pats; its not certain or even probable that he would start.

Who does he sit? Tedy? Vrabes? I don't think so. After a year of learning ther BB D, he might play, not before.

Is he better than Beisel sure, so what? That just means he makes the club...

What's wrong with moving Vrable back to the outside where he's better IMO? That would gives us Lewis and Bruschi in the middle with Vrable and Willie/Colvin on the outside. It won't happen but it's still nice to think about. It is just ludicrous to say that a player of his caliber even if he has slipped some wouldn't even make the team.

I don't really think Ray Ray is going to end up here, but I think (contract and personality aside) he would thrive in the Pats system, even despite his declining physical skills.

Tedy, Vrabel, and Willie are by no means physical specimens (They all played on the D line in college, not really where the speedsters hang out)- Rosie may have been but two years after that hip surgery he is just getting back his stride. Yet they all thrive in the NE system because they are not asked to take on too many blocks or run sideline to sideline. They are asked to read an offense, make a decision and act accordingly based on what they see. As a result they are seen as a group of over-achievers. This has pretty much been the formula for the resurrection of a few careers under BB - Harrison, Cox, Willie, Vrabel, Bruschi, Roman Phifer

By all accounts Ray Lewis is a voracious studier of film and makes great reads.
He is probably more suited to pass coverage than stopping the run at this point and with the current linebacking corps he would not have to play every down. This would also allow Tedy and Vrabel to take a few more snaps per game off, because we would not have to be so dependent on having Tedy out there to call out the adjustments-ideally minimizing the overall pounding they take throughout a season, and maybe keeping them around a little longer

jimmyjames said:
Tedy, Vrabel, and Willie are by no means physical specimens
Meet Willie in person and then get back to me. The guy is the definition of a freak. He looks like he's 7 feet tall and 350 pounds. He's MASSIVE.

What I meant is that he is by no means the fastest or most naturally athletic guy out there. He is not a prototypical linebacker, which is why he was a "tweener" coming out of college.

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Baltimore Ravens have made it clear they will not trade LB Ray Lewis nor will the team reward him with a new contract. As reported, Lewis is looking to depart from the Ravens via trade and has also been looking for a new contract for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back