Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11306760/

NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 10:37 a.m. ET Feb. 12, 2006

Superstar linebacker Ray Lewis doesn't want to play for the Baltimore Ravens anymore, the Baltimore Sun reported Saturday, citing unnamed sources close to the linebacker.

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Lewis hasn't told the team that, but Newsome did say Lewis had requested to be traded before the 2005 season, the Sun reported. Lewis also met with Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti recently in Florida, Newsome told the Sun.

The Ravens have asked around to gauge interest in Lewis, but no team has offered more than a second-round pick for the linebacker, the newspaper reported, citing unnamed league sources.

Lewis battled injuries all last season, playing in just six games and recording 46 tackles.

There should be a prison team that would be happy to have him.

I remember BB speaking very highly of him, while he was on trial no less.

He is a good character guy as long as homicide doesn't bother you (just kidding, I have no idea what he had to do with that murder).

That whole murder issue aside (Yes, I do realize how ridiculous that sounds), he is the type of player the Pats have typically brought in in the mold of Bryan Cox and Rodney Harrison.

That said there is no way he lands in NE.

His charge in the homicide was Obstuction of Justice. Basically he misled (read lied) to the cops to try to protect his buddies. He is pretty much the poster child for "be careful who you hang around with when you become rich"

By all accounts he is a good guy though. He loves football, respects the history and desperately wants another ring. He is also slowing down and is not the freak that can go sidline to sideline to hunt people down. But he can read an offense as well as anyone and could still be a potent LB playing behind the NE front three. I could see him wanting to come to a place like New England where he could be a system guy, but still play a big role while not having to carry the whole load.

A Willie, Ray-Ray, Tedy, Vrabel, Rosie rotation would be scary. Would you give up a second rounder for him?

I would say yes as long as the contract stipulates that he is banned from ever performing that ridiculous dance.

i dont like him.. he is no where what he used to be..

and i would throw up if he did that stupid dance of his in a pats uni.. it might even cause me to run on the field and hit him if i was at the game lol..

Chris said:
i dont like him.. he is no where what he used to be..

and i would throw up if he did that stupid dance of his in a pats uni.. it might even cause me to run on the field and hit him if i was at the game lol..

That I would pay to see :eek:

In all though I think the liklihood of hime coming to Foxboro is pretty slim

Last edited:
The murder thing was B.S. but he doesn't really fit in too well with the Patriots' needs unless they move Vrabel back outside with Willie being another year older. I imagine Lewis will want more than we'd pay but him and Bruschi in the middle would be interesting, to say the least.

The Dance Man Lewis in NE?

While I would love to see Bruschi and Lewis in the middle crushing runners, I just can't stand the thought of that big an EGO in a Patriots uniform. I might be wrong about him, maybe its a Baltimore thing.... Just the thought of him doing that dance at the Razer..... not a good visual..... lol :rocker:

He is not a New England type of a guy....... He is too old and not a team guy.

Well, the reason he wants out of Baltimore is to get a new contract that pays around Peyton money. I am very sure that we can get a guy who has the skills of an eroding Ray Lewis for much less. Also remember that Ray-Ray has been dealt with some pretty bad injuries these past two years, so that further diminishes his value.

well

I remember seeing a segment on him and how that whole "murder and obstructing" charge really changed him. He seems really smart, and loves the game. I wouild love to see him play here (of course with the "no dance" stipulation in his contract)

With that said, he is looking for one last "payday" before he gets really old and that won't come from us!

I can't see it happening but I would be ecstatic to see him in a Patriots uniform. Move Vrable back outside where I think he is better suited then you have Bruschi and Lewis in the middle. That would be freakin' sick.

His career has long been in decline. He was once a sideline to sideline playmaking force - as good in that role as the game has ever seen. Those days are long gone. He is essentially on the career arc that is the same as power RBs. You only have so many collisions in them and then you lose it.

For about 4 years he has been nothing more than a guy who falls on top of piles and then jumps up and dances so the people at home thinks he made a play.

He is probably in the Michael Vick/Brett Favre area of overrated NFL players right now. What he would cost and what he brings to the table are very poor value. You can't pay the 5th best LB on your roster (and have no doubt that is what he would be at this stage of his career on this team) more than any LB in the league.

He also hates the 3-4.

Last edited:
dhamz said:
You can't pay the 5th best LB on your roster (and have no doubt that is what he would be at this stage of his career on this team) more than any LB in the league.

He also hates the 3-4.

Say what? Do you really think he would be the 5th. best LB on the Patriots? Wow!! I like all of our LBs and it would kill me to see any of them cut or traded but come on. Even now if healthy, Lewis is better than anything we have and would be an immediate starter. I don't know where you get that he hates the 3-4. Isn't that pretty much what he's been playing since entering the league with the Ravens?

The guy was that good. He isn't anymore. He can't stay on the field and when he does he no longer makes plays.

As for his thoughts on the 3-4:

http://www.geocities.com/epark/raiders/football-101-3-4-defense.html

Check out this telling quote by All-Pro Ray Lewis, who is glad to be finished playing 3-4 ILB (the Ravens are switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3 and 46 for the 2005 season):
"We're in the 46 defense now, and finally, finally again, I get to play football," said Lewis. "My job is not to take on offensive linemen, but to make running backs not want to play against me"

Just to inform that other poster... Ray Lewis would be the best LB on the Patriots if we got him. He is the best LB in the NFL, actually.

drew4008 said:
Just to inform that other poster... Ray Lewis would be the best LB on the Patriots if we got him. He is the best LB in the NFL, actually.

4 years ago he was the best there was, maybe ever. Today he's not even close and not anywhere near worth what he makes.

dhamz said:
4 years ago he was the best there was, maybe ever. Today he's not even close and not anywhere near worth what he makes.

You act like he hasn't even played in 4 years. He had significant injuries in two of the last three seasons but in between those two he still had another monstrous season. Even if he's not as good as he was, he's still better than anyone we have right now. He's only 30, he's still got plenty left in the tank. Hell, compared to who we have starting, he would almost be the baby of the bunch.

Ray Lewis = Bobby Bonds

you sign these guys to sell more tickets
the Patriots sell all they can

you sign these guys to sell merchandise
what kid will want a Ray Lewis jersey?

Our LB's drop back in coverage
Ray Lewis drops to the oxygen tank.

Please, we need to get younger
not older we have enough Tricenarian's.

Not a chance in hell we sign him, not sure I would want him, but I think dismissive declarations that he is finished are a little off the mark.

Lewis recorded over a hundred tackles in 2003 (16 games)and 2004 (15 games), and a total in 6 games that would project to over a hundred in 2005.

Of course stats aren't everything by any means, but they do suggest he isn't best described as being 4 years into a long decline, or no longer makes plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes