PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ray Lewis wants out of Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is still a very good player,if not excellent. His team has been in decline for years now. Some of the players he played with in 2000 have either retired or been lost to free agency. I can't name one D-lineman on the Ravens that is worth a hoot. He is still has the football mind and I think he has enough athletism to be an impact player on this team.

However if he's trying to break the bank then New England is not the place for him. If he wants to win another superbowl with a fair contract and throw the ego out the door then welcome aboard.

Bill's Girl said:
He is not a New England type of a guy....... He is too old and not a team guy.

I am so sick of this logic. The guy is 30 going on 31. what are you taliking about he is too old? Tedy is 2 years older and not a single person on this board dares call tedy too old. Ray is not too old. He has a solid 4-5 years left.

drew4008 said:
Just to inform that other poster... Ray Lewis would be the best LB on the Patriots if we got him. He is the best LB in the NFL, actually.
It could not be stated any better Drew.

huskeralk said:
You act like he hasn't even played in 4 years. He had significant injuries in two of the last three seasons but in between those two he still had another monstrous season. Even if he's not as good as he was, he's still better than anyone we have right now. He's only 30, he's still got plenty left in the tank. Hell, compared to who we have starting, he would almost be the baby of the bunch.

I agree 100000%. What everybody wants to overlook is the defensive change that Ray went through a few years ago. Baltimore used to play a 4-3 with ray in th middle. What everyone on this board refuses to understand is that when switched to a 3-4, an extra ILB was added in, taking a huge chunk of Ray's tackles. Why is this so hard to see? Did his stats decline? Yes!!! Every single ILB's stats would decline when playing beside an extra ILB. In fact, rb's run away from him so they can be tackled by the other ILB!!! Does this mean Ray is in massive decline? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Now think logically. Has he declined do to wear and tear? Yes, all 30 yr old ILB's have aches and pains, even Tedy. Ray may not be the prime 27 yr old anymore, but he is still one of the best ILB in the game.

well

dhamz said:
The guy was that good. He isn't anymore. He can't stay on the field and when he does he no longer makes plays.

As for his thoughts on the 3-4:

http://www.geocities.com/epark/raiders/football-101-3-4-defense.html

Check out this telling quote by All-Pro Ray Lewis, who is glad to be finished playing 3-4 ILB (the Ravens are switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3 and 46 for the 2005 season):
"We're in the 46 defense now, and finally, finally again, I get to play football," said Lewis. "My job is not to take on offensive linemen, but to make running backs not want to play against me"

That really says it all, doesn't it! My job is to make the highlight reel---not to do my part to win football games! He isn't coming here!

mtbykr said:
That really says it all, doesn't it! My job is to make the highlight reel---not to do my part to win football games! He isn't coming here!

How the heck do you pull "highlight real--not to do my part" out of that quote? It says nothing of the sort. Try reading and understanding what an ILB does inside.

F.B.N. said:
Ray Lewis = Bobby Bonds

you sign these guys to sell more tickets
the Patriots sell all they can

you sign these guys to sell merchandise
what kid will want a Ray Lewis jersey?

Our LB's drop back in coverage
Ray Lewis drops to the oxygen tank.

Please, we need to get younger
not older we have enough Tricenarian's.

Bingo! Well said. He is just not a Patriots type of player. He has lost it on the inside. He may be able to string out a couple of years playing outside.

The murder rap was NOT BS! He was at a Superbowl party and he and his goons didn't like some flap two other guys were giving them, so they hunted them down behind the bar and killed them! The way this is being dismissed as by some people here is very, very disturbing. Does anyone here think that Lewis did not throw any of the punches, stabings or shots that killed them?

Here's the Court TV account:
http://www.courttv.com/archive/trials/raylewis/052300-pm_ctv.html

The only reason that Lewis and his buddies are not in prison is the complete and total incompetance of the Atlanta Police and DA's office which is legendary.

The man is a murderer, and has no place in the NFL, and I will not be a Pats fan anymore if they sign him.

well

Digger44 said:
How the heck do you pull "highlight real--not to do my part" out of that quote? It says nothing of the sort. Try reading and understanding what an ILB does inside.

Ok, here is the original quote:

"We're in the 46 defense now, and finally, finally again, I get to play football," said Lewis. "My job is not to take on offensive linemen, but to make running backs not want to play against me"

He is saying that he is happy they are not playing the 3-4 anymore because he believes his job is to hit the running backs and not take on the o-line. My impression of this quote is that he would rather play the 4-3 where he is in a better position to "make running backs not want to play against me" (that's where you get the big hits that make the highlight reel) instead of playing the 3-4 where his job is not to do that, but to take on the o-lineman!

What I think about Ray Lewis:

1. He wasn't the best LB on the Ravens for the past three years. How do you figure he'dthe best LB the Pats have? He's not better than Vrabel. He's not better than Bruschi. He's just not -- no matter how much the media loves his sound bytes.

2. He will not fight to take on a block. Offenses don't even bother double teaming him. Tight Ends kick his ass. Fullbacks kick his ass. Pulling guards kick his ass. And when he gets blocked by a WR, it's about 50/50. Of course he jumps up calling holding every play. He's a player who's great when nobody blocks him. I was pretty good in that scenario too.

3. His tackle numbers are fictional, much like Urlacher's. They get credited with tackles by the home scorer by jumping on piles. An announcer will say Lewis had six tackles on the day, and by the time the box score comes out the next day, he had 17.

4. He is too slow to chase faster RBs to the outside.

5. He wants a Peyton Manning signing bonus. He won't get it, but he'll get one far larger than his skill warrants.

6. He likely won't be comfortable in the supporting role. He wants to be the vocal leader of a defense. We have Willie, Tedy, Rodney, Richard, Vrabes. Letting Ray-Ray into that mix could be disastrous.

7. He's becoming increasingly fragile.

To be 100% honest, if you were to take the salary out of the equation, I'm not sure he'd make the '06 Patriots.

drew4008 said:
Just to inform that other poster... Ray Lewis would be the best LB on the Patriots if we got him. He is the best LB in the NFL, actually.

Not since 2001 or so.

In 2006, he doesn't crack the top 50, if you combine OLBs and ILBs.

I don't know how you could watch him and come to any other conclusion. He's been coasting off his name value for years now.

dryheat44 said:
Not since 2001 or so.

In 2006, he doesn't crack the top 50, if you combine OLBs and ILBs.

I don't know how you could watch him and come to any other conclusion. He's been coasting off his name value for years now.
:ditto: :agree:

I guess it is true that hatred blinds. Anyone who thinks Lewis isn't better than every LB on the Patriots is either crazy or hates Lewis so much that they refuse to give him any credit. You would be hard pressed to find anyone other than a Patriots fan that believes Bruschi and Vrable are better than him.

huskeralk said:
I guess it is true that hatred blinds. Anyone who thinks Lewis isn't better than every LB on the Patriots is either crazy or hates Lewis so much that they refuse to give him any credit. You would be hard pressed to find anyone other than a Patriots fan that believes Bruschi and Vrable are better than him.

I'll take you up on that last sentence. If you ask most knowlegeable football fans, i.e. one's who watch many games and not highlight shows, I'll bet more will tell you right now, Bruschi is better than Ray Lewis. Wish there was a way to see. I mean, have you watched Lewis the last couple years? He's been barely above average. He might be more overpaid than Vick. At least Vick occasionally does things to help his team win, although not really quarterbacking.

What do you think is more likely, replacing the two players: That Lewis comes in here and performs better than Bruschi in this defense, or that Bruschi goes to Baltimore in a 4-3 defense and makes plays when he's unblocked?

yup

dryheat44 said:
I'll take you up on that last sentence. If you ask most knowlegeable football fans, i.e. one's who watch many games and not highlight shows, I'll bet more will tell you right now, Bruschi is better than Ray Lewis. Wish there was a way to see. I mean, have you watched Lewis the last couple years? He's been barely above average. He might be more overpaid than Vick. At least Vick occasionally does things to help his team win, although not really quarterbacking.

What do you think is more likely, replacing the two players: That Lewis comes in here and performs better than Bruschi in this defense, or that Bruschi goes to Baltimore in a 4-3 defense and makes plays when he's unblocked?

Bingo, we got bingo! I saw a couple games early this year with him and he looked very average! He got beat a lot around the outside, so i guess he is slowing down!

He is over-rated but c'mon

dryheat44 said:
What I think about Ray Lewis:

To be 100% honest, if you were to take the salary out of the equation, I'm not sure he'd make the '06 Patriots.

Please. The guy is not what he was 3-5 years ago but he still would be an upgrade on the Pats. Bruschi is back but not what he once was. Willie has a little left it the tank but he would benefit by having his reps reduced. This could be dine by rotating Vrabel, Colvin and Willie on the outside.

I hate the guy myself but he is still a good – not great - MLB

dryheat44 said:

Well, you're going to have to round up these people to convince me because I find it hard to believe that anyone who is 100% objective would think that they are both better than Lewis and yes I have watched him play. As for the last question, I don't know what is more likely. I know that Lewis has statistically performed better than Bruschi has in a 3-4 defense in the past.

OK, lests say he want out of Baltimore. And let's say that he still is a good MLB, altough I don't think so.

What make any one think that he would sign with us for anything that is reasonable. He will be looking for a much bigger payday than what we would be willing to give. And, unless Balt releases him we would have to give something up to Balt for him.

This whole thing is just plain nuts.

Living in the DC area we get most of the ravens games. I've been paying attention to lewis for about three years and it is comical how overrated this guy is. He is easy to block and most of his tackles in the running game are 5-10 yards downfield. The team must credit him a tackle every time he celebrates. He is a decent pass coverage LB. I recall BB talking all about him and emphasizing his pass coverage skills and ability to run in space unblocked (with BB it's all about what he doesn't say). A great ILB should be great against the run even when they are blocked, which Lewis most certainly is not. Comparisons between him and Harry Carson are ridiculous. I suppose he'll get into the Hall, I hope the voters have the guts not to make him a first ballot. Getting rid of him would be the best thing the ravens could do. Maybe he was good before three years ago, I don't know, but those that argue that he is great now are killing their own credibility.

huskeralk said:
Well, you're going to have to round up these people to convince me because I find it hard to believe that anyone who is 100% objective would think that they are both better than Lewis and yes I have watched him play. As for the last question, I don't know what is more likely. I know that Lewis has statistically performed better than Bruschi has in a 3-4 defense in the past.

We'll agree to disagree on the first point. On the second, in every year that Lewis was considered the best (and I was one of them doing the considering), Lewis was in a 4-3 with Siragusa and Sam Adams in front of him. When Nolan came in to run the 3-4, Lewis was not a factor. Last year they switched back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back