PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ras-I Dowling released

Roster spot didn't stay open long....

The Patriots claimed linebacker Ja’Gared Davis off waivers from the Texans on Wednesday. The 6-foot, 238-pound Davis is a rookie out of Southern Methodist who signed as a free agent with the Texans on May 10. As a collegian, he played in 53 games and recorded 301 tackles, 20.0 sacks, four interceptions, eight forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries in his career.

It Is What It Is » Patriots claim linebacker Ja?Gared Davis off waivers from Texans

For all the whining about this team's misses at WR early on in the draft, it seems that CB has leapfrogged the WR position for early round busts.

Very good starting three. Devoid of quality depth after that.

Not that different from most rosters, sad to say.

As for CB, just like with WR we tend to view NFL decisions through a three to five year prism. So guys like Wheatley, Butler and Ras-I immediately jump to mind when thinking about DB "draft" acquisitions. That said, Since 2010, NE has brought in the following players:

McCourty
Ras-I
Talib
Dennard
Wilson
Harmon

Even counting Wilson and Ras-I as misses, that is actually solid return on investment so far, and in a few years we could be talking about how well NE seems to draft DBs.

Did Dowling sprain his ankle when he landed on the waiver wire?

The Blitz with Jeff Howe & Karen Guregian | Boston Herald

The Patriots finally ran out of patience.

The Pats released cornerback Ras-I Dowling today. The 2011 second-round draft was consistently injured, playing in just nine of the Pats' 37 games in his two-year tenure, and he missed all five of their playoff contests. Dowling finished 2011 and 2012 on injured reserve.

To add to the frustration, Dowling missed the majority of training camp and all three preseason games with another injury. Even if he had the chance to make his debut tomorrow, Bill Belichick conveyed the message that it wouldn't have been enough to crack the 53-man roster.

The Patriots' top cornerbacks are set with Aqib Talib, Kyle Arrington, Alfonzo Dennard and Logan Ryan. Marquice Cole also has a chance to make the roster as a special teamer.

The Pats made three additional minor moves, claiming linebacker Ja'Gared Davis off waivers from the Texans and placing tackle Brice Schwab and defensive tackle Anthony Rashad-White on injured reserve.

It seems likely that the release was done specifically to make that waiver claim.

I live in Houston and have heard nothing about Davis. Totally flew under the radar.

I would add Ryan and Ebner.

As for CB, just like with WR we tend to view NFL decisions through a three to five year prism. So guys like Wheatley, Butler and Ras-I immediately jump to mind when thinking about DB "draft" acquisitions. That said, Since 2010, NE has brought in the following players:

McCourty
Ras-I
Talib
Dennard
Wilson
Harmon

Even counting Wilson and Ras-I as misses, that is actually solid return on investment so far, and in a few years we could be talking about how well NE seems to draft DBs.

Very good starting three. Devoid of quality depth after that.

How many NFL teams have quality depth after their top 3?

And I think that once again you're being unfair to Ryan until it's shown otherwise.

Obviously a pick that did not work out. But for anybody complaining that the risk was not worth taking that high in the draft, I must assume you do/did not approve of the Gronkowski pick. Equally risky pick. There's a reason why they are risk/reward picks. When they work out, you get incredible value (Gronk), and when they don't, you get Ras IR.

It's pretty amazing, when you think about it. Chad Jackson (2nd round) / Kenbrell Thomkins (UDFA). Ras IR (2nd round) / Dennard (7th round).

It all a crapshoot, which supports Belichick's history of collecting more picks vs. trading up for higher picks.

I live in Houston and have heard nothing about Davis. Totally flew under the radar.

I've never heard of him either. If history is any indication, though, one of him or the DT claimed from GB is going to make the opening week 53.

McCourty
Ras-I
Talib
Dennard
Wilson
Harmon

Talib wasn't a draft pick
McCourty didn't make it as a CB and was moved to safety.

Even counting since 2010, it's only Dennard seeming to work out at the position drafted, to date. Given how high Dowling and Wilson were taken, that's a pretty lousy return.

Biggest shock in all of this was reading the Dowling played in 9 games during his career for the Pats? Seriously? Didn't think it was that many.

Talib wasn't a draft pick
McCourty didn't make it as a CB and was moved to safety.

Even counting since 2010, it's only Dennard seeming to work out at the position drafted, to date. Given how high Dowling and Wilson were taken, that's a pretty lousy return.
Is there a particular reason you throw blatantly stupid comments out there looking for arguments? McCourty was a fine Cornerback. The fact is, he's a better Safety.

In advance, spare me your usual I'm right rhetoric.

How many NFL teams have quality depth after their top 3?

And I think that once again you're being unfair to Ryan until it's shown otherwise.

I'm fine with being wrong about Ryan if he can prove it. But, from where I'm sitting at, he played in a VERY zone heavy scheme at Rutgers and his top end speed (or lack thereof) would seemingly make him a liability on the outside. He would do best lined up in the slot, and eased into action because he's going to be coming into a scheme that plays a good amount of press.

As of right now, outside of the top three, the Pats have a rookie that's playing in a completely different system, a system that's heralded as one of the more difficult systems in the NFL to pick up, and a JAG.

Is there a particular reason you throw blatantly stupid comments out there looking for arguments? McCourty was a fine Cornerback. The fact is, he's a better Safety.

In advance, spare me your usual I'm right rhetoric.

So, "in advance, concede my argument" is your post?

Sad....

Sorry to burst your bubble, but McCourty wasn't cutting it, which is why he was moved to safety, since he played better when he could see the play in front of him.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back