PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ras-I Dowling current and future status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its just sad the Pats basically used a first rounder on a corner that cant play.

Randall Cobb >>>> Torrey Smith
Now that's just silly, esp. after the big game where he and #12 torched the Patriot DBs.

I hardly heard Dowling's name mentioned.

And at the time, not 20/20, I had Smith on my radar. the patriots did too, bringing him in for a visit.

We haven't had the legit deep threat for several years now, until we brought in Lloyd.

First of all, we lacked a good, physical CB who could play man to man coverage much more than we lacked a WR in the 2011 draft.

Second of all, your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not T.Smith would have been able to pick up this extremely complicated offensive scheme. Just because he can do it in Baltimore doesn't mean he could do it here.

Unfortunately we've now blown alot of draft picks on the secondary and its still below average.
1st round picks -- mccourty, meriweather
2nd round picks -- chung, dowling, and 5-6 others who all got cut

About WRs -- its true that Smith might've come here and been sidelined. But that would be a bigger failure on the Patriot's fault to make use of stellar talent. A good coach puts their players in the best position to succeed -- but it seems when it comes to WRs in New England, that's not the case.

It's time to "phase out" Kyle Arrington and "phase in" Ras-I Dowling.

Third game in and we are starting the draft round bust crap again, here is something to ponder if you look at most of the second round picks in the NFL, many are busts....

Kyle Arrington is an overachieving UDFA...

Could we trade Dowling for Torrey Smith? Smith would look very good in a Patriots uniform, sort of like a young speedier Donte' Stallworth.

But in the Nate Solder draft Bill picked Dowling in the beginning of the second, a handful of spots ahead of Torrey Smith. As a fan, I questioned that move at the time. And right now--future events can change--it looks like a mistake. When the clueless refs started calling McCourty for the most minor of infractions, why wasn't he replaced with Dowling?

And where was Tavon Wilson in the Baltimore game? Was he injured?

2011 NFL Draft

Last Night:

#33 Ras-I Dowling
Did not accumulate stats.

#56 Shane Vereen

#58 Torrey Smith
6 Receptions, 127 yards, 2 TDs

I understand I don't know anything about football, but I would like to see:
1) Denard replace Moore. Moore gets burnt deep too frequently for my liking. I know he managed to knock the ball out of the receiver hand in the AFC title game..but he has also allowed too many plays at a critical time in the game.
2) Dowling replace Arrington on the outside. Dowling does not move latterally (sp?) too well, but I think he is better at jaming/re-routing receivers than Arrington.
3) Ebner replace Chung, when the Patriots are trying to protect a lead. I like Ebner's instints. If secondary is going to get torched then you might as well have someone who can get an interception.
4) Move Arrington to safety when the Patriots are trying to protect a lead. I think he better with ball infront of him than trying to cover the receiver one on one.

Dowling has looked pretty solid to me all year, in the limited occasions he's played. He got exposed once or twice in the first game, had a few wiffs on tackles, but in preseason he was consistently shutting down his zone/man.

He's speedy, tall and is around the ball a lot, and he is good at jamming players.

He's much better than Arrington in terms of covering fast go route recievers, but probably can't cover the slot as well.

Last night we were getting burned on the intermediate routes a bit, and I was surprised they didn't play him more. Especially when it became clear that our guys were gassing.

2011 NFL Draft

Last Night:

#33 Ras-I Dowling

#56 Shane Vereen

#58 Torrey Smith
6 Receptions, 127 yards, 2 TDs
This second round class is proving most disappointing. I really wished AT THE TIME that the Pats had gone for speed in the draft with a proven player from Maryland, Torrey Smith.

James Walker says on the ESPN blog that Dowling is struggling, which is obvious in his lack of playing time, and is closer to being a bust than a player. Morning take: Fred Jackson and knee brace - AFC East Blog - ESPN

Mike Reiss has said similar thoughts. Belichick made a reach pick based on character and physical attributes. I may have made it, too. But in this case the conventional wisdom of Dowling being too prone to injury was true. The safer pick, and also a need one, was Torrey Smith. The guy had good size, excellent speed, and was a workhorse for the Terps.

Now that he's apparently healthy, when is he [Dowling] going to play?

And Vereen has been a big disappointment, because of his inability to make it onto the field. Too bad.

I wish these quality guys nothing but the best, but it appears their expiration date is coming due by the end of this season. It's do or die.

Last edited:
Our 2011 draft keeps looking worse and worse. Thank god for our amazing 2010 draft and our strong 2012 draft.

This second round class is proving most disappointing. I really wished AT THE TIME that the Pats had gone for speed in the draft with a proven player from Maryland, Torrey Smith.

James Walker says on the ESPN blog that Dowling is struggling, which is obvious in his lack of playing time, and is closer to being a bust than a player. Morning take: Fred Jackson and knee brace - AFC East Blog - ESPN

Mike Reiss has said similar thoughts. Belichick made a reach pick based on character and physical attributes. I may have made it, too. But in this case the conventional wisdom of Dowling being too prone to injury was true. The safer pick, and also a need one, was Torrey Smith. The guy had good size, excellent speed, and was a workhorse for the Terps.

Now that he's apparently healthy, when is he [Dowling] going to play?

And Vereen has been a big disappointment, because of his inability to make it onto the field. Too bad.

I wish these quality guys nothing but the best, but it appears their expiration date is coming due by the end of this season. It's do or die.

DE Brooks Reid and WR's Titus Young and Radall Cobb says high from that Draft. Vereen is some sort of cult hero around here but his selection is now looking like a absolute joke...*when you look at the what if's* Year Two and this Scrub is yet to make it on the field.:snob:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore