PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Easley to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if we had rolled the dice on WR:Kelvin Benjamin I can dream can't I?
Yet if we only had ANOTHER WR. Maybe we could have been the top scoring offense in the league. Wait.....:eek:....... Because we all know that any problem the Pats will ever have could have been easily solved by acquiring anyone else's WR :rolleyes:

What I think MG is trying to say is that Walker might not have been signed by the Ravens IF the Pats had made the decision to put Easley on the IR and promoted Walker earlier. Of course that's perfect 20-20 hindsight since there is no way the Pats could know that the Ravens were interested in Walker, so they could have thought they had more time to make the Easley decision.

What I don't understand is MG's comment of Tyms getting reps as a gunner. I hope he wasn't bemoaning that Walker wouldn't be available to do the jobs. ;) And why not Tyms? He has good size, speed, and length. He has experience getting off physical coverage, and he seems like a real "try hard" kid. Those are all excellent traits for a gunner.

I know what he is trying to say, but he is wrong. You cannot prevent a team from signing a player off your practice squad. That is a fact. To say you can by going back in time and signing a guy to the 53 that you don't want on the 53 is just being argumentative and is not an example of how you can prevent a team from signing your practice squad players.

What I think MG is trying to say is that Walker might not have been signed by the Ravens IF the Pats had made the decision to put Easley on the IR and promoted Walker earlier. Of course that's perfect 20-20 hindsight since there is no way the Pats could know that the Ravens were interested in Walker, so they could have thought they had more time to make the Easley decision.

What I don't understand is MG's comment of Tyms getting reps as a gunner. I hope he wasn't bemoaning that Walker wouldn't be available to do the jobs. ;) And why not Tyms? He has good size, speed, and length. He has experience getting off physical coverage, and he seems like a real "try hard" kid. Those are all excellent traits for a gunner.

I'm still trying to understand why Mg is making such a fuss about Walker. He isn't that good, he isn't anywhere near the developmental prospect Easley is, and he would have been a gameday inactive since the three bigs in front of him all do what he can do only better (plus Chris Jones who complements the others better than Casey does). He is a classic JAG that you keep around in case of emergency and in the odd chance that he develops. He was inactive against the Colts even before Siliga returned, so how likely is it that he was going to be needed from here on out?

Hell, with Easley gone and Jones the only real penetrating DL remaining, Vellano was significantly more likely to be tabbed than Walker, but I don't see anyone clamoring to promote him before he gets stolen.

Imagine if we had rolled the dice on WR:Kelvin Benjamin I can dream can't I?

Team playoff history in the post-2007 era shows that the need for offensive weaponry has not been met. Team FA and drafting history during that time shows that BB knows this.

Wanting another receiver is absolutely a smart notion. But the WR you're talking about was already off the board.

Wanting another receiver is absolutely a smart notion. But the WR you're talking about was already off the board.

Wanting better depth at any position is generally a smart thing. The question is how much it costs you to get it. In the case of Benjamin, probably not a realistic option.

I would agree that BB is not a Bill Walsh, Mike Shanahan or Don Coryell. With that said , BB knows the ins/outs/ups/downs of the Erhardt/Perkins system and knows how he wants to evolve it.

BB defines the game plan. JMD has input and calls the plays on and TB has the option to get out of plays/get into good ones. BB overrules them when he sees fit.

+1

I fully agree with your post.

And regarding the last sentence, I would think that is exactly what happened at halftime last Sunday.

+1

I fully agree with your post.

And regarding the last sentence, I would think that is exactly what happened at halftime last Sunday.

You figure BB looked at McDaniels and said "Stop calling the 'OL suck really bad' play, since it's not working, and start calling the 'OL do a better job' play"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes