PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Easley to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who knows anything about Bill Belichick knows that he is not an Offensive genius. He has always delegated that side of the ball to the OC. Anyone can see with whom he huddles with on the sidelines during games - - it is almost exclusively DT grouping/LB grouping/ DB grouping. Do you EVER see him down on one knee on the sidelines coaching up the OL? The RB's? The WRs? No.

This should be obvious to even the most casual observer.

He is not on the mike into Brady's ear. McDaniels is.

Brady and McDaniels are the primary decision makers of the offense - - BB may swoop in from time to time to change some things or put in his 2 cents - - as he most certainly did at halftime on Sunday.

BB was very open about how the first half of the Miami game was poor coaching. I'd be quite unsurprised if he had some choice words with McDaniels at halftime.

Anyone who knows anything about Bill Belichick knows that he's in on the game planning, and your posts attacking McDaniels over the game planning are, therefore, ridiculous.

Anyone who knows anything about Bill Belichick knows that he is not an Offensive genius. He has always delegated that side of the ball to the OC. Anyone can see with whom he huddles with on the sidelines during games - - it is almost exclusively DT grouping/LB grouping/ DB grouping. Do you EVER see him down on one knee on the sidelines coaching up the OL? The RB's? The WRs? No.

Brady and McDaniels are the primary decision makers of the offense - - BB may swoop in from time to time to change some things or put in his 2 cents - - as he most certainly did at halftime on Sunday.

BB was very open about how the first half of the Miami game was poor coaching. I'd be quite unsurprised if he had some choice words with McDaniels at halftime.
I think on a macro level, BB is an offensive genius. He (re-)ushered in the spread offense and then the TE-heavy offense within a matter of a few years very recently, with 2 different OCs. I don't know if he's a game-planning genius, but in terms of overseeing/driving offensive systems that can score points and win in the NFL, BB is a genius.

Anyone who knows anything about Bill Belichick knows that he is not an Offensive genius. ...This should be obvious to even the most casual observer.

It's not obvious to me. Belichick has coached several of the most productive offenses in the history of the NFL. I don't think that happens without the head coach being extremely capable of coaching offensive football and offensive game plans.

Beyond that, Belichick's offenses have frequently been quite innovative. Two examples would be the heavy use of the hurry up offense. And the use of two tight ends in the passing game.

let's hope he can recover and play fully healthy next season.

This is simply not true. When Tom Brady became the starting QB in 2001, the man he met with on a daily basis for coaching and film study was Bill Belichick, not Charlie Weis.

He is not on the mike to the defense either. Because he is the HC. He is absolutely involved in the game plan.

So your argument is when you don't agree with what they do, its McDaniels making the decision, and when you do, its because BB went and corrected McDaniels. This is simply you making up facts to reach your foregone conclusion.

BB was very open about how the first half of the Miami game was poor coaching.
Again, unture. He said the last sequence of events (including and probably moreso, special teams and defense) was poor coaching and poor play.

I'd be quite unsurprised if he had some choice words with McDaniels at halftime.
Again, this is only because you lack understanding.

I think on a macro level, BB is an offensive genius. He (re-)ushered in the spread offense and then the TE-heavy offense within a matter of a few years very recently, with 2 different OCs. I don't know if he's a game-planning genius, but in terms of overseeing/driving offensive systems that can score points and win in the NFL, BB is a genius.

Yeah, I suspect Bill's involvement in the offense is substantially greater during during the off season, camps and even practices than it is during the games. We all remember, "Come on Brady! Huddle up and run it again!" right?

No, but you have to imagine most are given the opportunity to.
Not really. They are on the practice squad for a reason, and the team that signs them wants them on the 53 man roster. Many players can make one team but not another.

Evans describes Brady as the "most humble superstar I've ever been around," and if that sounds convenient, he isn't saying that about Drew Brees or Shaun Alexander, superstar former teammates who happen to be two of his better friends. Brady's preparation, how he works, bolsters the way his teammates view him. He was maniacal. Still is.

He meets with Belichick three times a week to talk over the gameplan -- every coverage, every hot read, every play.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/12/10/to...atriots-age-fitness?page=4&devicetype=default

Not really. They are on the practice squad for a reason, and the team that signs them wants them on the 53 man roster. Many players can make one team but not another.

Sure, but if they are on the practice squad, it means they are within shouting distance of being on the roster.

I have no evidence other than some anecdotal times when an article specifically stated that player X was promoted because another team wanted to sign him or player Y's team declined to match... but I'd still be willing to wager a reasonable sum that at least half tell their current team about the offer and see if they'll pony up to keep them in house.

I believe BB took responsibility for how the end of the half finished and said that was poor coaching and publicly started with himself when dishing blame. While he gives JM reign to call the game, that end of half sequence by the offense looked pre-determined and IMO, BB likely instructed JM as to what he wanted.

Belichick is not Rex Ryan. He doesn't just handle the defense and ignore the offense. In fact, knowing what we know about BB's reputation for attention to detail, I'd be surprised if there's any aspect of the team (offense, defense, special teams, conditioning, diet, travel arrangements, whether the players are using PS4's or XBoxOnes's) that he isn't at least aware of on a daily basis.

doc-rivers-o.gif

Actually, I've read numerous articles over the years that says BB is fully in the loop in that his headset is set up so that he hears everything the OC is saying to the QB and that he can break in at any time and say what he wants to.

They don't have a choice in letting Walker go or not.
Frankly, we are full at the DT spot without Easley, so I'm not concerned other than the long range effect on Easley.
The team would have had the option to sign him to their own 53 man roster instead of letting him go to the ravens. Thats what they did with Arrington a few years ago

They don't have a choice in letting Walker go or not.

They do, if Walker decides to give them that choice, which seems to happen often.

Just as when the Patriots were trying to sign rookie quarterback David Fales off the Bears’ practice squad, but the Bears in response promoted Fales to their active roster, apparently since he decided to notify the Bears that he would like to stay with them, if they would choose to promote him.

A couple of comments on the comments:

1. I'm sorry to see Easley head to the IR. Coming into the season there were many who felt Easley was as good if not better than than Aaron Donald. Many thought Easley would have gone much higher if not for the 2 prior ACL's. Well Donald has had a great rookie season not only by having a lot of the impact plays many thought he'd have, but also holding up well against the run. He will be in the conversation for DROY.

Easley on his side proved much less explosive that we thought, but that was likely due in part to his sort off season, the recovery from the 2 ACL's, and the shoulder and knee injuries he picked up besides. On his plus side he turned out out to be far more versatile than expected playing all over the DL. He also, like Donald, held up much better against the run that we were led to believe. While not being as impactful as we might have hoped, Easley proved he could be a productive contributor, who could play through some physical adversity during his first year.

After seeing what Donald has accomplished, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing what Easley can bring table coming off a fully healthy off season. Assuming everyone else is back, Easley has a potential skill set that could make this defense go from top 10 to positively scary.

2. Nothing in the rules could have stopped the Ravens from grabbing Walker. A kid would have to be nuts to choose NOT to join an NFL 53 man roster. A player earns about $80K on the PS. Walker will earn close to $50K for these 2 games, plus a chance for some playoff $.

3. I have to wonder how highly the Pats think of Walker in their system because if they had they would have put Easley on the IR earlier and called him up.

4. The Pats already have Wilfolk, Siliga, Branch, and to a lesser degree Chris Jones for "beef". How much of an impact would Walker have been. Especially now that it looks like some of those "DT" snaps might be used by CJones and Ayers in Patricia's schemes

Last edited:
Actually, I've read numerous articles over the years that says BB is fully in the loop in that his headset is set up so that he hears everything the OC is saying to the QB and that he can break in at any time and say what he wants to.
Hm never knew that. If you have any of the links kicking around somewhere I'd like to take a look.

Sure, but if they are on the practice squad, it means they are within shouting distance of being on the roster.

I have no evidence other than some anecdotal times when an article specifically stated that player X was promoted because another team wanted to sign him or player Y's team declined to match... but I'd still be willing to wager a reasonable sum that at least half tell their current team about the offer and see if they'll pony up to keep them in house.
The point at hand was the Patriots shouldn't have let him go. The Patriots had no way to prevent him from going.
Why would Walker want to stay here to not play? Why would the Patriots want a guy who they feel isn't good enough to be on their roster just because another team weaker at the position wants him?

The team would have had the option to sign him to their own 53 man roster instead of letting him go to the ravens. Thats what they did with Arrington a few years ago
No that is not correct. The player could choose to not accept the contract from the other team, but the team can do nothing to block it.

They do, if Walker decides to give them that choice, which seems to happen often.
Thats not having a way to block the other team. Thats giving the player a choice.

Just as when the Patriots were trying to sign rookie quarterback David Fales off the Bears’ practice squad, but the Bears in response promoted Fales to their active roster, apparently since he decided to notify the Bears that he would like to stay with them, if they would choose to promote him.
And Fales could have chosen to accept the offer from the Patriots and there is nothing the Bears could have done.
People are confusing making an offer to compete with the one on the table with blocking the other team from signing the player. They are very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes