PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rap: Mayo is the new HC

Mods merge with the other thread if you want but it's official

The Krafts better hire an elite OC (not McD) and pay him well…..or this may be complete fail…..Mayo has very limited experience….never a DC (just him and with the title) and never a HC before…..he’s going to need A LOT of support and experienced personnel around him

Patriots players react to Jerod Mayo being hired as head coach

Patriots players gushing about having Mayo as head coach. Tells me all I need to know about how they felt about the coaching situation in Foxboro and optimism they have now. Who knows, maybe some guys we thought were out the door could be swayed if they get some reasonable contract offers and feel better about the direction of the team.

Bill had support. He had people telling him to draft Deebo or Brown. He choose Harry because his buddy convinced him.
Hence ‘at minimum’. I was Inc about of him losing the role fully and staying as just HC.

Well good luck but I'm not happy.

That's the problem with making promisses years ago, Kraft should've been an ass and not honoring it.

Football is a world you can't make promisses 2 or 3 years down the road, things change fast.
Agree completely…..wish Mayo well but this may come back to bite the krafts (unless they offer an assistant HC position to one of the elite OC out there!)

BB/HC and BB/GM are like chair and butt you know what that means can't have one without the other.
Tell you what your town must be hilarious, all these people walking round with chairs stuck to their butts looool

How I will really feel is whatever happens next.

If Mayo delegates roles over to some new faces in the building, and it looks like the franchise is taking a new approach to things, I like it.

If Mayo keeps everything intact like it was, just minus Bill, then I’m worried.
Well, imagine that Stephen is going to go with Bill wherever he’s coaching

Hence ‘at minimum’. I was Inc about of him losing the role fully and staying as just HC.
I don't think he was going to do that, and Kraft certainly didn't think that was an option based on his press conference yesterday. He emphasized the need to have other people involved for checks and balances and needed some people to say "no" to the coach. Implying he felt that they lacked that will Belichick now and that it was too late to wrestle it from him.

Part of the currently-applied Rooney Rule stipulates that teams can make a promotion without conducting any interviews if the candidate in question has already been labeled as the coach or executive in waiting. Race of that candidate does not matter at all.
OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Oh come on, Kraft isn't bailing on Belichick out of impatience just so he can punt on the 2024 season because of a conspiracy to keep Mac under center lol, take it easy on the bong rips.

I think that's a possibility. But if they offer him DC, Bill might advise him to stay. Steve will never be taken seriously if he's always under his dad. He needs to be on his own at some point. A familiar environment with a good defense could be what gets people to take a real look at him.

So basically, they fired Belichick but they’re keeping all of the personnel that
So basically, they fired Belichick but they’re keeping all of the personnel that were involved in one of the worst seasons in Patriots history…and a lot of bad draft moves…. Sounds like a great idea!

There are definite skeptics about Mayo and this whole plan in that building. "He's sold them on being collaborative and a puppet," one said. "He's not qualified at all. How can (the Krafts) not speak to anyone else, (Mike) Vrabel - who's done it and well?"

This is going to be an unmitigated disaster.

Hoping for the best. It's scary to choose someone who's never held a position with any accountability. The pseudo DC who gets credit for the good the defense does, while the blame gets shifted to Steve for the bad. The pseudo assistant HC during the team's downfall with responsibilities so ambiguous he emerges blameless... And now he'll be the rookie HC who "inherited BB's mess," so there'll be at least 2 more years of zero accountability.

The only thing we can see with him (as outsiders) is he's open and thoughtful when interviewed.

There are coordinators out there proving their worth in ways we can see and measure.
From a recent Masslive article:

"Mayo’s also acted as the Patriots defacto-defensive coordinator. Following a standout defensive effort against the Buffalo Bills, Deatrich Wise credited Mayo for the team’s game plan in shutting down Josh Allen. The coach’s duties include breaking down the opponent’s offense, game planning on how to stop them, and breaking down practice and film sessions to give players their corrections."

He may be great. Top three HC. And it's possible if they had done a thorough search, Mayo maybe ends up as the best guy anyway.

But it appears they just gave him the job because it was promised a few years ago. No thorough search done. What if they interviewed a different guy who blew them away in the interview?

I think Mayo is going to need a former HC as the OC. Whether that is BoB, Arthur Smith, or someone else. Mayo's expertise is in D. So, will he call the plays. Or, let someone else (Flores etc) do that until Mayo is ready?

I'm not suggesting Mayo will suck. But I think the "search" was lazy.

Well, that all depends on who they bring in as offensive coordinator, and how well they draft the next offensive players…
I'm not wild about it but...as a wise man once said, it is what it is.

At this point, all I can do it wait and see. I dint expect them to go 11-6 and make they playoff next season but I expect not to have the worst offense (or even bottom third) next year with the D staying more or less the same, if not better. (And, you know, a better overall ST operation).

The only thing we can do I hope for the best.
Well, that all depends on who they bring in as offensive coordinator and how well they draft the next offensive players… Mayo, being a defensive guy is going to need a lot of help

Perhaps. But Steve can only grow as a coach if he separates from his father, otherwise there will always be that perception of nepotism even if its unfair.

Tell you what your town must be hilarious, all these people walking round with chairs stuck to their butts looool
Don't give me any more ideas! :haha:

I hope this is the right choice, but I have my doubts based on his experience. If Mayo isn't the right guy, it will take two or three seasons to get rid of him. "Five or Six Years" in the wilderness will become at least "Ten" for a team trying to find its way back to the top.

It also worries me that players are gushing over him...this team needs a "builder," not a "players' coach." The Pats need a modern day Bill Parcells, who knew how to rebuild franchises (he just wasn't so good at staying around and in how he departed from them).

Perhaps. But Steve can only grow as a coach if he separates from his father, otherwise there will always be that perception of nepotism even if its unfair.
IF I was Mayo I would hire Steve as DC and If I was Steve I wouldn't go with Daddy.

Well, I think all the players feel like Mayo is just one of the guys and relate to him a lot from a players point of view… How well that carries over to him now having to step back and not be buddy buddy, with all these guys is yet to be determined

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back