PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking your AFC Top 5 after Week 3

It's too early. BUT what I've noticed is that our OL is the weakest unit by far amongst all the AFC contenders.

If the saying "you're only as strong as your weakest link" holds true, we're amongst the bottom tier of contenders at the moment.

It's too early. BUT what I've noticed is that our OL is the weakest unit by far amongst all the AFC contenders.

If the saying "you're only as strong as your weakest link" holds true, we're amongst the bottom tier of contenders at the moment.

IMHO, the quotation doesn't apply in the NFL. Every team has a weakest link, usually more than one. The question is how the team makes up for this weakness. The patriots have chosen to use the jumbo offense, as well as focusing on short routes. We could so also use an extra blocker on passing plays.

If downfield wide receiver is ALSO not a weakness, we'll be fine. As it is, we have a weakness in our downfield wide receivers. We need someone to step up in addition to Edelman. We MAY be able to succeed when Gronk is more healthy. However, we really need Gronk's blocking even more than his relieving at this point.

The very good news is that we are in the worst (by far) division in the NFL. Consider it this way. Even as badly as we have been playing, we are (and should be) strong favorites to win our division. I'm not sure which other division(s), we'd be heavy favorites to win (given our play so far) if we were added to another division. I don't think that there is another division where we would have as high a percentage of winning than the AFCE.

Have you taken a look at the AFC South, either this year or last year?

I think the problem with this type of rationale (I'm not picking on you, many do the same thing) is that you are comparing the #2, #3 and #4 teams in one division with the #1, #2, #3 and #4 teams in other divisions. That's a loaded comparison tilted heavily in favor of the division that includes their best team.

Here are the division records after three weeks:
8-4 --- AFC North
7-5 --- NFC West
7-5 --- NFC East
6-6 --- AFC East
6-6 --- NFC North
5-7 --- AFC West
5-7 --- NFC South
4-8 --- AFC South

I know it is a different season, but for what it is worth here are the 2013 division records outside each division:
30-10 --- NFC West
25-15 --- AFC West
22-18 --- AFC East
19-21 --- AFC North
19-21 --- NFC South
17-23 --- NFC North
16-24 --- NFC East
12-28 --- AFC South

In my opinion the AFC East is not nearly as bad as many make it out to be.

Denver and Cincy are the class of the AFC so far. San Diego and Baltimore take a big hit after losing Woodhead and Pitta for the year.

At this point, I still think those 4 plus the Pats round out the top 5.

Cincy
Denver
New England
Houston
Baltimore

1: Denver
2: San Diego
3: Cincinnati
4: Steelers
5: Patriots

Looking in: Ravens, Indy, Bills

I think the common denominator here is competent quarterback play.

Before anyone complains that Brady's play doesn't qualify as competent, I'll point out the key stat here: 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. He did fumble twice versus Miami, but overall, and considering the pressure he's faced, Brady has done pretty well.

It is amazing that after three games the Patriot are in the fifth position. It just shows how bad the AFC is at the start of this season. Our problems are OL, Josh McDainels, WRs and Brady. Brady will improve not so sure about the others.

Are the Pats in the Top Five? Maybe. Maybe not.

I can't conclude anything at this point. Like most posters, I have a lot of concerns. Brady and Belichick are such huge intangibles that I'm just going to wait and see.

Between now and the bye, they are @Chiefs, vs. Bengals, @ Bills and then home three straight weeks vs. the Jets, Bears and Broncos. If they come through that 6--3, I think they're in the hunt for a Bye. 5--4? They could still win the Division and get hot at the right time.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back