PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking your AFC Top 5 after Week 3

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
1) Cincy......+47 point differential....highest scoring offense, lowest points allowed defense. They have earned top billing
2) Denver......Regardless of the Seattle outcome (looking ugly), Denver still is the measuring stick until proven differently
3) San Diego aka Whale's Vagi*a.......near identical point differential with the Pats but their Seahawk victory shows they are players this year
4) New England.......The O line is the Pats achilles, but this team just wins. Can they beat #1, #2, #3 who are all on the schedule.....only if Brady can remain standing
5) Indy....I expect their ship to get righted despite 2 losses. Baltimore has the experience but not the talent this year
16) Jests suck. I f I wasn't playing to the crowd....6 or 7

At this point, if I'm being honest...

1. Bengals
2. Chargers
3. Broncos
4. Colts

After that, it doesn't matter. Our offense better gel soon.

The NFC seems, like last year, to be much more dangerous....

Colts? Ya no. Chargers Cincy defiantly. And we get to play all of these teams. Harder schedule then I think a lot of us thought.

Do any of those teams scare you ? Denver. Colts won their first game today. The NFC, for now, is the class. Even Cincy, the current top gun, isn't the greatest ever...

None of the AFC scares me. But you guys are on something if you've been mildly impressed by the Pats thus far.

I know we will right the ship as always but we have played like garbage.

Cinci scares me. They are very talented across the board and they have the same sort of strengths as the Dolphins, eg they match up well against teams like ours.

I think we can beat San Diego and Denver (if we gel before the playoffs and stay healthy), but against Cinci we need to rely on Andy Dalton screwing the pooch, which you never know.

Cinci scares me. They are very talented across the board and they have the same sort of strengths as the Dolphins, eg they match up well against teams like ours.

I think we can beat San Diego and Denver (if we gel before the playoffs and stay healthy), but against Cinci we need to rely on Andy Dalton screwing the pooch, which you never know.

The Cincy game is at home so that's a plus. I have confidence in our D...O i need to something next week

While these rankings don't seem like much at the moment:

1.) Denver: Clearly dangerous and explosive on both sides of the ball. Ward, Ware and Talib have really improved their D. Sanders has stepped right in for Decker
2.) Cincy: Very solid team all round. Will be a very hard team to beat.
3.) Chargers: Not the full package but capable of beating any team. Solid on both O and D. Losing Ingram will be interesting for them.
4.) Indy: Luck is very talented. Their O can put up pointsquickly. their Defense while not elite can hang in there and have good games.
5.) Balt: Solid so far. But i think losing Pitta again is going to be too much for them to overcome. Steve Smith is a nice complimentary piece for their offence. Their Defense has reminaed solid... all be it against mediocre teams.

Pats at the moment are there in the 3-6 range. If our Offense begins to be anything more than just "where is Gronk or Edelman" then we should be right up there with 1-2 as our defense could arguably be a top unit in the AFC this year.

Last edited:
The OL is our Achilles Heel right now. If we can get that sorted, keep Brady upright, and if Dobson takes that next step (that's if he's ever good to go), this will be a team that can compete with the Broncos and the Seahawks of the league. Until then? Not so much.

Next game is going to be a tough one. Whatever the team needs to do to improve that pass protection, they had better do it quickly.

Cin
Den
SD
Indy
NE

On current form:

1. Cincinnati Bengals

2. San Diego Chargers
3. Denver Broncos

4. Indianapolis Colts

5. New England Patriots

We haven't played or have beaten a good team yet. Talk to me when the Pats beat a good team, then I agree they belong in the top 5. Cincy will be a HUGE test, but I doubt they can even beat KC if they play like they did today.

barely top 5

the patriots seem to play DOWN to their competition, and never play up against good teams.

still no complete 60 performance.

Chemistry is no longer an excuse for the offense.

I would lump them in with a few others after Cinci, Denver, SD and Indy.

Not as sold on Indy here as many others.

1. Cinci
2. San Diego
3. Denver
4. New England
5. Indy (I guess)

The thing is that I really do think this D can be the difference against any of the Top 3 right now. I'm a believer. If the offense can get clicking, this team could become a juggernaut.

cinci/denver/san diego

then everyone else. i guess i'll include the colts. they lost to two good teams and destroyed the jags. wish we did the same to the raiders..

The team that played the first 3 weeks may not be better than any team in the AFC North, and it certainly is not better than CIN, DEN, SD or INDY. Miami is better than we have been playing.

But I have no doom and gloom. We have the talent of offense, defense, special teams, coaching and the front office to be much, much better by the bye week and certainly by the last month of the season.

The very good news is that we are in the worst (by far) division in the NFL. Consider it this way. Even as badly as we have been playing, we are (and should be) strong favorites to win our division. I'm not sure which other division(s), we'd be heavy favorites to win (given our play so far) if we were added to another division. I don't think that there is another division where we would have as high a percentage of winning than the AFCE.

There isn't really a top 5 right now.

Top 3 best AFC teams right now Cin/SD/Den in that order. Then a gap and then a few other teams like Bal/Pit/Ind and of course NE. I'd put the Bills in this group too, yesterday notwithstanding.

Edit: I will switch it to Cin/Den/SD - forgot about the injuries to Woodhead and Matthews. That will hurt them

Last edited:

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back