PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking the Pats' "Top Five" needs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
patsox23 said:
I'm not sure how you can have TE as your 2nd priority. We have two VERY GOOD ones right now. I see an heir apparent to Dillon and a #2 WR as far more important than landing a 3rd TE (or even a replacement for Graham in case he leaves in 2007).

Now, if you're arguing that there's great VALUE at TE, then I get your point, but it still can't possibly be #2 in terms of team need.

Actually, I can see the Pats taking a TE high very easily. Here's why:

1) Unless I'm mistaken then Graham's a FA after 2006. Fauria is already gone. So that potentially leaves us with one TE for next season.

2) Pioli/Belichick have taken a TE in every draft since they took over with mixed results. Any TE they've taken after the first round has washed out. They've only had success by taking them early.

3) TE seems to be yet another position on the team that needs to be groomed for a year or two. If they anticipate losing Graham next season then they'd probably want to start training his replacement this year.

4) They still need to add a 3rd TE for this upcoming season.

I don't think a TE in the first round is that far fetched at all and I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

They have many needs in this draft. This would not be a good year for them to have a year like 2001 where only their 1st and 2nd rounder were productive. A year like 2003 would go a long way towards maintaining this run.

Team needs
LB
WR
RB
CB
SS
K
OL

Mark my words: I will not be surprised if Pats would trade down (even in early 2nd round) if they cannot pick a top 20 talent. After that, the talent is so equal (until 40th spot) that the value will be there at the beginning of 2nd round.

Burgess said:
Actually, I can see the Pats taking a TE high very easily. Here's why:

1) Unless I'm mistaken then Graham's a FA after 2006. Fauria is already gone. So that potentially leaves us with one TE for next season.

2) Pioli/Belichick have taken a TE in every draft since they took over with mixed results. Any TE they've taken after the first round has washed out. They've only had success by taking them early.

3) TE seems to be yet another position on the team that needs to be groomed for a year or two. If they anticipate losing Graham next season then they'd probably want to start training his replacement this year.

4) They still need to add a 3rd TE for this upcoming season.

I don't think a TE in the first round is that far fetched at all and I wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

They have many needs in this draft. This would not be a good year for them to have a year like 2001 where only their 1st and 2nd rounder were productive. A year like 2003 would go a long way towards maintaining this run.

Got to respectfully disagree.

If you've got a good tight end (Grahambo) then pay him to keep him. He's cost you a first round pick and (if you're right) a season or two to get him into your system. Why use another first round pick on someone who will give you only the length of the rookie contract minus the time it takes to develop? Replacing free agents with rookies is sometimes necessary, but you just can't do it in all cases.

That said, I have never yet been right about BB's first round drafting (I expected cornerback when Ty's contract was becoming very rich, running back just before we signed Corey and I don't know what I expected last year -- just certainly not a guard!)

CrazyDave said:
Count me in. I said that given Seymour's status, i would'nt be surprised to see a DE taken on day 1. I guess that's not a problem now. Super!!
Not only do we keep Big Sey, but that's one less position to deal with on draft day. I can't wait for the draft.

**replacement for the DE/OLB that signed in Cleveland
**depth behind Wilfork

still seeing DL (including DE to convert to OLB) on Day 1

Last edited:
Bobs My Uncle said:
My 5 top needs, in no particular order:

WR, RB, SS, OLB, PK.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots filled either WR, RB or OLB need with pick 21.

In this case my personal favourites to fill these 3 positions, at the 21 spot, would be:

WR - Santonio Holmes
RB - DeAngelo Williams
OLB - Manny Lawson

I would be happy with one of these. rather see c. jackson.

how about marcedes lewis?

Mike the Brit said:
Got to respectfully disagree.

If you've got a good tight end (Grahambo) then pay him to keep him. He's cost you a first round pick and (if you're right) a season or two to get him into your system. Why use another first round pick on someone who will give you only the length of the rookie contract minus the time it takes to develop? Replacing free agents with rookies is sometimes necessary, but you just can't do it in all cases.

That said, I have never yet been right about BB's first round drafting (I expected cornerback when Ty's contract was becoming very rich, running back just before we signed Corey and I don't know what I expected last year -- just certainly not a guard!)
i've never been right either. on any pick. ever. in 37 years.
but lewis seems to be fast and a good blocker.
IMO graham will want to stick around, but he's developing an injury history. he's one of the best bloscking TEs i've ever seen, but he seems to take big hits when he's out on pass routes. his dad may tell him to get his $ right away, 'cause he could be seriously hurt in the next couple years. if he wants $, we know what'll happen.

My top 5 needs for the Pats:

1) LB - Obvious but with the draft class being loaded at this position I don't necessarily see them taking one with their 1st pick.

2) RB - If Dillon goes down we have no threat of a run game & therefore Brady will be on his back heel. DeAngelo Williams, if available at 21, is a must pick IMO or they could look at Joseph Addai at 52.

3) WR - They lost a lot of depth obviously this offseason. This year's WR class is very weak. So I would rather they look to fill this via FA & possibly take a chance on a day 2 draft prospect. Will Blackmon obviously played DB at BC but he's got the potential to play WR.

4) DB - This must be addressed on the 1st day of the draft. If DeAngelo doesn't slip to 21 maybe Tye Hill does. Otherwise they can grab their man Marshall from Fresno St in the 2nd round.

5) OL - This is another position I would prefer they look to FA as they already have a youthful group. What they need more of is experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes