PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking the Pats' "Top Five" needs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ilduce06410 said:
belichick may have already walked away from this line of thinking.
the team could use a true fullback. RT remains a mystery, even with the arrival of kaczur.
still need someone to take a crack at ted johnson's role.
there are a couple of bruschi-type maniac ILBs out nthere.

I find myself thinking of a true fullback all the time...a Gash / Rathman type...

I love the smashmouth guy that leads the way for the shifty back and maybe catches one at the goal line for six now and then...

But it seems the NFL has undergone a shift in thinking and you really don't see those guys anymore...

Evryone's going for these tight ends that can also be H-backs...

I don't even know if the true fullbacks are even around at the college level anymore, save for the Big Ten...

ADPF

Last edited:
OLB: We need youth and speed here, 1st round draft pick
WR : We need a big target who can block and get open, 1st day pick
SS : Does anyone think Rodney's going to start game 1?
CB : I think this entire position needs to be upgraded.
ILB : There are still some FA LBs available that can fill this role, and I think Monty will improve.

I think it's going to be far more difficult to end up with an elite OLB than drafting a WR or CB. It looks like there will be plenty of 2nd and 3rd round WR and CBs to choose from.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
I tried to pick out draft prospects we might have a shot at...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Linebacker - Need to get younger...draft would be the place to go...

Top Draft Prospects:
1. Ernie Sims, FSU
2. Chad Greenway, Iowa
3. A.J. Hawk, OSU
Wide Reciever - Need to replace Givens, but this doesn't necessarily have to be done in the draft. Could wait until June 1 cuts...

Top Draft Prospects:
1. Santonio Holmes, OSU.
2. Sinorice Moss, Miami
3. Chad Jackson, UF
Cornerback - I actually don't think we're in that bad of shape here, with Samuel, Hobbs, Warfield, Gay & Poteat, but a nice shutdown corner for the future can't hurt!

Top Draft Prospects:
1. Tye Hill, Clemson
2. Richard Marshall, Fresno State
3. Jimmy Williams, Virginia Tech

*Ashton Youboty, Ohio State

*(Got to put him on there, just so when he gets an INT, Gil Santos can say, "Shake Youboty!")
Offensive Line - Lumping tackles and guards together here because New England seems to like players who can be flexible and play either position...

Top Draft Prospects:
1. Marcus McNeill, Auburn
2. Eric Winston, Miami
3. Davin Joseph, Oklahoma
Running Back - I still think Corey Dillon has a few good years left (2? 3?), but conventional wisdom says his train is pulling up to the station, so to indulge that school, it's time to start grooming his replacement. Damn shame Cedric Cobbs couldn't fulfill his potential!

LenDale White may be there, but something tells me he's not a "Belichick-type" of guy!

Laurence Maroney played in the Divsion I's top ranked rushing offense (Minnesota) for most of the season in '05! Don't know much about him, but my buddy Dave is a huge Penn State / Big Ten fan and he says Maroney's the real deal!

Top Draft Prospects:
1. Laurence Maroney, Minnesota
2. Leon Washington, FSU
3. Gerald Riggs, Tennessee

Thoughts?

ADPF
More or less agree with the needs, but except for the RBs, none of these guys guys are top prospects for fullling those needs. All will be long gone before 21, and anyway, the Pats can only fill one of the needs in round one anyway. So I think your list is unrealistic.

why use a FB when you can have a DT out there?

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
I find myself thinking of a true fullback all the time...a Gash / Rathman type...
I love the smashmouth guy that leads the way for the shifty back and maybe catches one at the goal line for six now and then...
But it seems the NFL has undergone a shift in thinking and you really don't see those guys anymore...
Evryone's going for these tight ends that can also be H-backs...
I don't even know if the true fullbacks are even around at the college level anymore, save for the Big Ten...

ADPF
the mass-media scouting report stuff i read sez this is not a good year for FBs.
the logic in BB's thinking is clear. why use a 250-lb player to lead the runner when you can use a 300 pounder? IMO the answer is that the 300-pounders are not good blockers. they have no experience or reps at it. they tend to miss and pop out of the pile without touching anyone. BTW, didn't seymour get hurt last year on one of his FB escapades?
remember what happened to klecko on that swing pass?
in tday's nfl almost every team throws the ball to TEs, LBs, OTs, OGs, on the goal line. that, too, is killing the role of the FB.
i notice that in the middle of the field BB brings in a senond or 3rd TE to play the role of the FB. the big guy will return---trends change in the nfl---but for now we'll see H-backs.

My hopes for the draft

Day 1 Needs :
LB, WR, CB, RB

Day 2 Needs :
TE (depth), OL (depth), K, DL (can never have enough)

UDFA : LB, RB, FB, QB, K

Only two needs.

There may be several nice-to-haves, but the only real need is for a starting quality LB and a #2 WR. Its not even clear these openings really exist, Caldwell and BJ will argue the starting WR opening; TBC and Beisel will argue the need for a starting LB opening.

We will draft one of each in the day 1 of the draft, IMHO.

I perceive the need for more than one LB and pickings are better for a LB in round 1 and 2. Able WRs candidates exsit in Round 3 and are there through round 4. That's where I expect to Patriots to get them.

1. Need to maintain the "Don't respond to need" strategy.
2-5. See 1.

I get all psyched on occasion trying to mentally fix what's wrong. Woo hoo, Brad Kassell, now that would be a Patriots FA! Woo hoo, Manny lawson! Now that would be a Patriots kinda draft prospect! Now let's get us a solid receiver prospect. No no wait, a shutdown corner. No hold on not this draft, let's get...

Deion Branch may have a future in the Pats' front office. "We take what they give us," quoth he, in relation to the offense. The same goes for the front office. With some exceptions, they take what the draft gives them. Bumper crop of great left guards? Let's get one, now, cheap, at a low pick. Fantastic water boys? Get us one on day two.

Needs? I don't see a position lacking a starter. I don't see a position gap that will destroy us. Now with that in mind... what is the best value? Where is this draft deepest? What's the best player available?

Those are the kinds of questions that factor into the decisions, and that (along with perceived "need") we have fuzzy understanding of at best. We don't know how the Pats will change to accomodate a talent that can fit... we don't know who they think will and will not fit. Dillon taught me that one.

But if there's one thing we do know, it's that need has always been secondary to value, maybe tertiary to value and fit, for the Pats.

Uh but my money is on linebacker (good thing it's monopoly money.)

PFnV

:blahblah:

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
I'm trying out this new "kinder, gentler me" thing!

maybe you and bf80 can share a nice chardonnay together

:woohoo:

There were five areas hit hard by injury last season - Secondary, Linebacker, Offensive Line, Running Back, Special Teams.

BB/SP have brought in veteran safeties and cornerbacks to improve the competition in the secondary: safety - Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, G.Scott, Ventrone, Mitchell, Jones. CB - Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Warfield, Hawkins, Poteat, Spann, C.Scott.

We have a starting offensive line, and some reserve experience, but we don't have a great deal of depth at tackle: Light, Kaczur, Gorin, Britt, Roehl. We're better off at G/C: Mankins, Neal, Koppin, Hochstein, Mruczkowski, Tucker, Yates, Steitz.

Linebacker: We have starters for 3 slots, with ILB the hardest to fill. Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Beisel, Claridge, Izzo, Davis, Alexander

Running Back: Dillon for power running, Faulk for passing downs, Pass can do either and lead block, Evans power running, Charles.

Special Teams: Izzo, Davis, Mitchell, Jones, Banta-Cain, Beisel

Start your shopping in the trenches: An OT competes with Britt, Gorin, and Roehl and provides depth at OG. An OC/OG is a 2007 need with Koppin, Hochstein, Mruczkowski, and Tucker all UFA in 2007. 2 picks.

CB is evenly split between youth and experience, but weighs heavily to youth if you consider Hawkins and C.Scott as better safeties then CB at this point in their career. Veteran CBs are slim pickings, but top CB talent in the draft isn't. 1, maybe 2 picks.

Linebacker: Pats like to take around 10 LBs to start the season, they've got 9, only 3 of the 9 can be considered solid. 2-3 picks

Runningback: Dillon and Faulk are checking out old folk's homes and Charles is on IR in Europe. 1-2 picks

Special Teams: PR/KR - 1 pick, possibly combined with CB, RB, WR

That is a minimum six picks: OT, OC/OG, CB, 2 LB, RB, plus the gaping hole at WR 1-2 picks

What to shop for:

OT - someone to push Britt for the swing tackle job.
OC/OG - Reserve/Practice Squad/2007 starter
CB - Nickelback/PR/KR/Practice Squad
RB - Practice Squad/PR/KR
LB - 2-3 DE/OLB for Special Teams and 3-4 development
STs - PR/KR, LB/SS
WR - possession receiver to complement Branch, PR/KR

rb may not be a pressing need, but i see value in the middle of the first rd for a stud runner.

Hence all the LenDale White talk lately I guess.

Needs

Needs for Next Season

Linebacker (starter) -- unless you like TBC or Klecko as an OLB

Linebacker (backup) -- depending on rating of TBC, Beisel

Wide Receiver (at least one, possibly two) -- depending on how much production there is to be had from Brown/Johnson/Caldwell/Childress. Even with Givens we turned out to be thin at wide receiver last season. God forbid that Branch should be injured (not unlikely, given past history).

Strong Safety (starter/back-up) -- I hope Rodney will be back at full strength. Who doesn't? But will he be at full strength on Day One of the season? You've got to doubt it.

Punt Returner -- I really miss Tim Dwight

Nose Tackle (backup) -- Vince really needs help -- and I don't think that Mike Wright is the answer

Tight End (number three) -- where is Jed Weaver when you need him?

Long Term Needs

Wide Receiver -- it's not as though we have a lot of strong developmental guys.

Line Backer -- aging and expensive

Safety -- a replacement for Rodney would be fantastic

Running Back -- It should be obvious that the current incumbents can't last that much longer, even if you think, as I do, that Corey's problems were with the OL and his injuries last season. I wouldn't be sorry to see either Faulk or Pass beaten out by a rookie.

Punt Returner -- obviously

Comments

Unlike BOR, I don't make OL or CB a priority. OL was hit hard by injuries last season, as was CB. I think that Hobbs, Samuel and Gay could be pretty decent. Of course, if the chance of a major upgrade comes along, I'm sure the Patriots will take it.

But they have a lot of needs this year -- more (apparently) than they did last year. I don't think there's going to be a bumper harvest of post-June cuts (cap space having increased so markedly) so it looks to me as if the draft is going to have to fill most of them without leaving much firepower for high-value picks at positions of relative strength.

Flying Fungi said:
maybe you and bf80 can share a nice chardonnay together

:woohoo:

Well, I don't drink, but I'll have a Club Soda spritzer with a lime, if you don't mind...

A little Beluga caviar and brie w waterchestnut crackers on the side, as well, if opssible...

Hey, I'm statrting to sound like a 49ers fan?!?!?!

PatsFanInVa said:
Hence all the LenDale White talk lately I guess.

It's a shame this kid can't get his head together...I mean he hasn't even recorded a 40-time yet?

He did impress the heck out of me in the Super Bowl, though!

Agree with Taildragger and SixPat above on so many good points they make. Here's my current list numbered by draft rounds (IIRC our pick order):

1. LB
2. WR
3. RB
3. TE
4. O-line
4. O-line
5+. Whatever

Notably absent from high on the list:
1. CB --- don't need one
2. Safety --- don't need one
3. Kicker --- don't need one! Pick up a scrub in June so Grammatica won't wear out his leg in training camp, but don't use a draft choice. Grammatica's going to make the Pro Bowl and run off with your grandma.
4. D-line --- don't need one this year. If we lose Seymour, Jarvis starts in 2007 while an '07 1st-round pick learns.

Not in any order

1. TE - I wouldn't be surprised if we pick one @ 21. BB loves this position.
2. OL - Seems to always draft for depth, maybe the OL may changing into larger OLineman.
3. DT/DE - I have stated that we could be shooting up into the Top 10 or even higher to choose Seymour's replacement Mario Williams or possibly trade. If they don't have a gentleman's agreement since we don't know either way. This pure speculation.
4. NT - Need a backup to help rotate more here.
5. LB - Inside/Outside, either choice is needed for the long haul.

Outside of Brady, I don't think anyone is safe on draft day. I do feel with Seymour as a great unknown for his future with the Patriots that we may be in for something big on draft day.

goldenaleus said:
Not in any order

1. TE - I wouldn't be surprised if we pick one @ 21. BB loves this position.
2. OL - Seems to always draft for depth, maybe the OL may changing into larger OLineman.
3. DT/DE - I have stated that we could be shooting up into the Top 10 or even higher to choose Seymour's replacement Mario Williams or possibly trade. If they don't have a gentleman's agreement since we don't know either way. This pure speculation.
4. NT - Need a backup to help rotate more here.
5. LB - Inside/Outside, either choice is needed for the long haul.

Outside of Brady, I don't think anyone is safe on draft day. I do feel with Seymour as a great unknown for his future with the Patriots that we may be in for something big on draft day.

I'd be SHOCKED if BB used his #1 pick on a TE for 3 out of the last 5 years. I like TEs too but not THAT much. What round did they get Ben Coates in? There's plenty of value in TE to be found later in the draft, when I agree they will take one to replace Fauria and replace Graham if they don't re-sign him.

They are certainly going to take a WR somewhere - maybe more than 1 - but I think BB's feeling is, barring a top talent sliding down to him, defense presents the most 1st round value

My turn...

My prediction of the Pats draft, based on tea leave reading and the openings that exist, the talent available in the draft, and also the list of guys they have interviewed. I have listed the round and the guys I would choose from. Obviously, some will not be available, but my desireable picks in the order I prefer them, fro the Patriots needs, not how they may be scouted .

1 LB Carpenter, Greenway, Lawson
2 RB Drew, Addai
3 DB Whitner, Bullocks, Pollard
3 WR Hass, Avant, Wiliams
4 QB Whitehurst (just a hunch)
4 LB Parham, Hoyte, Cocong
5 BPA
6 LB Schlegal
6 K
6 TE
7 BPA

Last edited:
shakadave said:
Agree with Taildragger and SixPat above on so many good points they make. Here's my current list numbered by draft rounds (IIRC our pick order):

1. LB
2. WR
3. RB
3. TE
4. O-line
4. O-line
5+. Whatever

Notably absent from high on the list:
1. CB --- don't need one
2. Safety --- don't need one
3. Kicker --- don't need one! Pick up a scrub in June so Grammatica won't wear out his leg in training camp, but don't use a draft choice. Grammatica's going to make the Pro Bowl and run off with your grandma.
4. D-line --- don't need one this year. If we lose Seymour, Jarvis starts in 2007 while an '07 1st-round pick learns.

Time to update: everyone who has DL on their list, move it down the list! Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Green ---- sheesh, watch out, running games of the NFL!

shakadave said:
Time to update: everyone who has DL on their list, move it down the list! Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Green ---- sheesh, watch out, running games of the NFL!
Count me in. I said that given Seymour's status, i would'nt be surprised to see a DE taken on day 1. I guess that's not a problem now. Super!!
Not only do we keep Big Sey, but that's one less position to deal with on draft day. I can't wait for the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back