PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank the top 3 drafts of the Belichick era

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing you can say about the BB Second and especially Third Round Drafts he has hit on a couple but the majority have been a long time between drinks. His misses in the Third until recently is almost unheard of.

#1) 2000 draft, pick 199 to be exact.

Yea, can't ignore that once-in-a-lifetime, lottery winning pick. I'm sure if any fan, coach, who ever would prioritize this as the greatest draft in franchise history just for that lucky pick.

2007 draft was considered a disaster EXCEPT they got prime-time Moss and Welker with picks and then were one of the best teams ever.

2009 wasn't too shabby: Chung, Vollmer and JE11.

It's gotta be 2010, 2003, and 2001. In that order. The worst drafts, IMO, are 2007 (mother of God), 2006, and MAYBE 2014 (although that's produced JAG and Sweet Feet).

#1 - "The next one"
#2- 2010
#3 - 2003

It's interesting when you look at these lists that most drafts, even the really good ones, produce 2, maybe 3 players who make a sustained impact over more than a few years.

It's interesting when you look at these lists that most drafts, even the really good ones, produce 2, maybe 3 players who make a sustained impact over more than a few years.

Hmmm, got my like in before your buddy got to you.

It's only a matter of time.

article-2110552-02AB94A60000044D-985_468x478.jpg

If Brady were the first pick of the first round, it would still have been the best pick in franchise history.

Off the top of my head, without looking at anything but the title of the thread I was going to say, 1) the one where we got Brady; 2) the one where we got Gronk; and 3) the one where we got Seymour. As I looked through the thread, I see others have agreed with me...

Drafts with this team must be viewed in the context of UDFAs and picks traded for veterans/other picks in the same year. I have a hard time enjoying thoughts of BB's drafts; they're more a component of overall player acquisition vs. the featured source.

Always wondered what happened with Alfonso Dennard. I thought he was a decent corner who had potential then his career just fizzled out.
He decided spending time in prison was a better life option.

Belichick’s draft class in 2014 would be considered a great one based on drafting a franchise QB in the second round in any other situation.

Nice thread, fun to think about

1. What is a sobering reminder from this is how *few* players usually pan out from each draft. Thinking about this year's draft, if only a couple can, I'm really hoping Wynn and Michel pan out, but they also really really need one of the LB picks to come through too.

2. Agree that some of the worst drafts ever (especially offensive-side draft picks) were from that 2005-2007 period

Drafts with this team must be viewed in the context of UDFAs and picks traded for veterans/other picks in the same year.

You can judge the draft simply by looking at each year's draft class, and there's nothing wrong with that. "I can't really count 2010 or 2012 as good drafts, because they had extra picks, so that doesn't count." is not being bandied about this place, after all.

It really is refreshing to see how time can change perception of things; I'm specifically thinking of that 2009 draft. Any draft that can acquire talent like Solder, Chung, and Edelman is a good one.

I remember a lot of criticism of that 2009 draft class during the first few seasons, or so. A good chunk of the growing skepticism was due to the final-nail-in-the-coffin assessment of the 2006 and 2007 drafts (i.e. Maroney's benching in '09 & Meriweather's suspension in '10). Solder was always recognized as a good pick, but people were really ripping Belichick for how he handled that 2nd round. I think this criticism and perception of Belichick having poor drafts also carried over into the mainstream media, too (I can still hear Mel Kiper, in later drafts, saying "Todd, Todd, Todd, but they could've had Clay Matthews if they didn't trade out of the 1st round!"). Edelman looked promising in 2009, but was then injured again and again. Chung -- the successor to Rodney Harrison -- wasn't really allowed to play the box, and never really established his value; instead, always forced to play deep due to such an awful D at the time.

But sure enough, after 2013, Edelman proved that he really could take over for Welker. And, despite going to Philly for 2013, Chung really found his role at SS when NE finally acquired the surrounding the talent. And, of course, trading out of the 1st rd in 2009, eventually lead to the the acquisition of 2010 2nd rd pick that was used to acquire Gronk in 2010.

It really is refreshing to see how time can change perception of things; I'm specifically thinking of that 2009 draft. Any draft that can acquire talent like Solder, Chung, and Edelman is a good one.

I remember a lot of criticism of that 2009 draft class during the first few seasons, or so. A good chunk of the growing skepticism was due to the final-nail-in-the-coffin assessment of the 2006 and 2007 drafts (i.e. Maroney's benching in '09 & Meriweather's suspension in '10). Solder was always recognized as a good pick, but people were really ripping Belichick for how he handled that 2nd round. I think this criticism and perception of Belichick having poor drafts also carried over into the mainstream media, too (I can still hear Mel Kiper, in later drafts, saying "Todd, Todd, Todd, but they could've had Clay Matthews if they didn't trade out of the 1st round!"). Edelman looked promising in 2009, but was then injured again and again. Chung -- the successor to Rodney Harrison -- wasn't really allowed to play the box, and never really established his value; instead, always forced to play deep due to such an awful D at the time.

But sure enough, after 2013, Edelman proved that he really could take over for Welker. And, despite going to Philly for 2013, Chung really found his role at SS when NE finally acquired the surrounding the talent. And, of course, trading out of the 1st rd in 2009, eventually lead to the the acquisition of 2010 2nd rd pick that was used to acquire Gronk in 2010.

The 2009 draft class was a major disappointment, particularly because of opportunities missed. It could have been an epic draft. Instead, it's headlined by 3 busts (one did better the second time around), a quality but oft-injured OT, and a WR conversion project. Edelman's eventual rise takes a bit of the sting out of it, but that's about as far as one can reasonably go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back