PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss's Physical Decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish the chances of a new Moss thread popping up each week on this board was as likely as Randy Moss popping up on the Patriots roster - About zero. Can we move on?

Guys,

I honestly find the questions about why a thread pops up once a week on the subject to be as stupid as the fact the threads actually appear.

I think those still strumming that cord need to realize it is extremely low percentage chance he plays again for anyone let alone New England.

But those who seem to get annoyed by this song being constantly played need to stop and recognize what Randy did in this uniform especially in 07. People just cant help but yearn for this type of talent. IMO it is barely any different than yearning for a Rodney type at safety or a Willie/Vrabel at OLB except that there is still an extremely long shot Randy plays again so instead saying we need a guy like Randy/Rodney/Willie/Vrabel we can actually say We need Randy.

Let me ask you this if you heard Vrabel decided to unretire would you have any interest? Or better yet would you at least understand it being discussed on this board?

There is practically zero chance that Moss plays another down for us but boy would it be funny as hell for us to pick him up midseason just to watch half this board commit seppuku.

The Patriots don't need Moss. They a solid third WR, and when Hernandez can't fill that void, they need someone else to step up, or else you can expect a lot of Welker/Branch (whichever has the better matchup) and Gronkowski targets. Need to spread the ball around.

Slater- Not sure why he isn't playing burner when no better option is there.
Edelman- Well, if you haven't read my opinion on him in the offense, go read the 10 page thread.
Ochocinco- Playing like a JV kid trying to make the varsity kids accept him, and trying too hard.

Hernandez will probably come back soon and this will be moot. Price would be a great addition to this offense.

Moss really wouldn't add very much. You can only throw the ball to one player at a given time, so I'm not sure if his presence would make such a big difference now. Gronkowski already changes the way the defense plays the Pats anyway.

Randy can serve the Gatoraid...Ocho can hold the cups

About whats left of their talents these days

The Patriots don't need Moss. They a solid third WR, and when Hernandez can't fill that void, they need someone else to step up, or else you can expect a lot of Welker/Branch (whichever has the better matchup) and Gronkowski targets. Need to spread the ball around.

Slater- Not sure why he isn't playing burner when no better option is there.
Edelman- Well, if you haven't read my opinion on him in the offense, go read the 10 page thread.
Ochocinco- Playing like a JV kid trying to make the varsity kids accept him, and trying too hard.

Hernandez will probably come back soon and this will be moot. Price would be a great addition to this offense.

Moss really wouldn't add very much. You can only throw the ball to one player at a given time, so I'm not sure if his presence would make such a big difference now. Gronkowski already changes the way the defense plays the Pats anyway.

Trade for Fred Jackson ! I would gladly give up one of the gazillion bajillion 1 rounders BB has stashed away in future picks and throw in my left nut for free, but I know buffalo has no use for that ;):D

if not, they better start ridley / vereen and see what they have to show

Last edited:
At best ... in peak physical condition Ocho is option #6 on this team ... #5 tops.

1- Welker
2/3/4 - Gronk / Hernandez/ Branch depending on the game plan.
5 - Woodhead or Riddley depending on the game plan.

6- OchoCinco ... it is what it is ... this is no big deal and if he gets to form he becomes more of a decoy than anything else - 2-4 passes a game - 5 on a great day. Cannot see him being more of an option than Welker, Hernandez and Gronk at a minimum.

Last edited:
I noticed Moss had no spring in his legs in 2009 too. Legs are the first to go.

Hands must be second to go, I guess Ocho is ahead of Moss in the decline department.

Can we please stop talking about Randy Moss?

I don't care who steps up to the plate as a deep threat WR - Ocho, Price, Moss - whoever.

Hernandez is our deep WR - and he's not currently on the field.

I heard Belichick talking about the Oakland WRs - how they can beat you sideline to sideline and line of scrimmage to end zone.

He sounded envious.

The Pats don't have that right now. Even with Hernandez for all of Brady's huge passing numbers he's only attempted 8 passes of 20 yards or more.

Defenses were wary the first two games and remained honest. Buffalo took note of the game tape and played closer to the line to try to disrupt the shorter passes. It worked.
Others will do the same if Brady and the WRs don't make them pay for that.

Great stuff. I love this Randy Moss stuff!!

However things changed in 2009. He started to lose his speed in 2009, don't get me wrong(still very fast), but he couldn't abuse secondary's with his speed anymore. Even more importantly, his once incredible vertical leaping ability(in which he abused Cincinnati and Miami on spectacular leaping TD catches in 2007) was now deteriorated. He could no longer go up and get the ball like he could in 2007-2008(despite a few nasty one handed catches in 09-10 like against Vontae Davis and Revis, neither of which he jumped up to get)

The leaping one handed catch Moss made in 2007 against the Colts was something the Moss of 2009 could no longer do.

Just what I noticed from the film. I believe that is why we saw a drastic drop in his statistical output. I also believe this is another major reason he was traded. Bill saw the physical decline in him.

Britt went on IR, maybe he goes there. He knows the playbook ......... new coach ....... new season. I would like him to end his career with a decent season.

Great stuff. I love this Randy Moss stuff!!

At this particular point in time, I think Chad and Randy are both pretty much useless at their age. They are better off with Price and Slater, given their potential at their current ages, they have a better chance of having more impact of getting open, making less mistakes (dropping balls, running the wrong routes, penalties), and providing a positive contribution to the team without the "throw me the damn football/look at how great I am" WR drama.

Can we please stop talking about Randy Moss?

Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss Randy Moss
needs to come to NE!!

I would take a 34 yo Randy over ochostinko everytime

I noticed Moss had no spring in his legs in 2009 too. Legs are the first to go.

I remember Moss being injured most of 2009, to the point that he needed help taking off his gear. Last year he wasn't happy because he wanted an extension, and Pats didn't give it to him. He's motivated...supposedly in freakish shape...take a chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes