PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss, superbowl MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Troy Brown wins the MVP.

/pipe dream

I'm not really going to start talking about this, it's pointless. One of the best things about the Patriots is that they can beat you with any number of guys having a big game. That has been true throughout the Brady era, and it's one of the main reasons for their sustained success. Would any of us be shocked if Vrabel catches a TD, also gets a couple sacks and maybe forces a fumble, and he's the MVP? Not in the least. Nor would it shock me if Welker goes off for 150 yards and he gets it. Who was our MVP against San Diego? I'd argue it was one of the two backs. Obviously Brady is the favorite, since he's most likely to have a big game (even if he spreads it around), but I'm confident that if we win, it could be absolutely anybody.

Last edited:
If this is a "hope" thread, then I think it's fine. If it's a "prediction" thread, then it's silly. We have no idea who the MVP will be. We have no idea who will make the play or plays that determine the outcome of the game.

Somebody called WEEI yesterday trying to sell the wouldn't it be the bestest if it's Randy scenario...

Randy would have to throw for 1 and catch 2 uncatchable balls for TD's and have the Pat's win 21-20 even with Gotti missing 2 chipshot FG's for the media to even consider him. Look at all the post season awards votes where they basically shut him out substantially...

Plus the media still owes Brady the one they erroneously bestowed on a WR three years ago.

Somebody called WEEI yesterday trying to sell the wouldn't it be the bestest if it's Randy scenario...

Randy would have to throw for 1 and catch 2 uncatchable balls for TD's and have the Pat's win 21-20 even with Gotti missing 2 chipshot FG's for the media to even consider him. Look at all the post season awards votes where they basically shut him out substantially...

Plus the media still owes Brady the one they erroneously bestowed on a WR three years ago.

True. I've always thought the Super Bowl MVP should be decided by the winning team and the coaches. But in that case, it might from time to time go to deserving players like o-linemen, which of course would be no good for business. I agree with you that since fans and the media pick (20/80, IIRC), they'd give it to Tom Terrific should the Pats win, unless they have no other choice (not that I'd mind). Do remember that Branch won the 3rd MVP for the Pats though, so a WR winning it is hardly unprecedented.

Last edited:
If this is a "hope" thread, then I think it's fine. If it's a "prediction" thread, then it's silly. We have no idea who the MVP will be. We have no idea who will make the play or plays that determine the outcome of the game.

Why? Actually, we had this question before the Patriots last Superbowl, incidentally, I picked the MVP with Branch. I don't see the harm in it. What's the difference in picking the MVP vs the total points each week, which was quite popular.

Kevin Faulk!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want Brady to win it because once Brady retires, I want there to be no doubt who the GOAT is. Getting his 3rd SB MVP would tie him for the most with Joe Montana.

If this scenario happens, there will be vitually nothing that Brady hasn't done that has been done by someone else. Everything else for him to chase would be based on longevity. He's would have won 4 SBs (most by a QB), 3 SB MVPs (Most by any player), a regular season MVP, set the single season TD record, 2nd highest single season Passer Rating of all time, quickest QB to 100 wins, etc.

Hopefully Brady can win 2 more straight MVPs to match Favre. A couple more SB rings would be nice too! :D

Current MVP Odds

5001 Adalius Thomas +4000
5002 Ahmad Bradshaw +1500
5003 Amani Toomer +1800
5004 Antonio Pierce +4000
5005 Asante Samuel +2200
5006 Ben Watson +4000
5007 Brandon Jacobs +1200
5008 Corey Webster +4000
5009 Donte Stallworth +3000
5010 Eli Manning +550
5011 Gibril Wilson +4500
5012 Junior Seau +3000
5013 Kevin Faulk +1200
5014 Laurence Maroney +800
5015 Michael Strahan +4000
5016 Plaxico Burress +1300
5017 Randy Moss +800
5018 Rodney Harrison +2500
5019 Sam Madison +5000
5020 Steve Smith +4500
5021 Tedy Bruschi +3000
5022 Tom Brady -200
5023 Wes Welker +800
5024 Field +800

The Giants secondary is a weakness on their defense, and depending on how injured they still are/aren't, they may not have the depth or personnel to commit 2 guys to Moss's side as much as the more athletic and talented Chargers, or the deeper Jags.

All signs point to Brady, especially if he's back in form. But I could see Faulk, Welker, or LoMo getting consideration if Brady has an off day, and the Pats still pull it out.
Its a toss up between Brady & Moss.If the Pats win this game,I can see either of those guys winning it.The Giants biggest defensive weakness is their secondary.I think Bill will defintely do his best to expose this.I see Brady having a field day with the Giants secondary.

I hope Moss is not the MVP. I prefer the control the ball Pats balanced with run and pass (and short passes at that) to the lock in on Moss and throw it up and hope Pats.

Lonie Paxton. With a statement from the team that says, "there really is no most valuable player, every player is valuable and is integral to the teams success. But every week Lonie has shown up and done his job, without flash or recognition but without fail every week he did his job."

Then let the media swallow that.

5010 Eli Manning +550
5013 Kevin Faulk +1200
5014 Laurence Maroney +800
5017 Randy Moss +800
5022 Tom Brady -200
5023 Wes Welker +800
5024 Field +800

Eli actually has better odds than Randy or Maroney. Not sure if that logically follows with the -14 pt dogs betting line. but whatever.

MVP thing is bogus vote anyway - almost as bad a popularity contest as the pro-bowl thing. Brady got it in first SB and Ty Law deserved it. Branch got it over Brady in the other SB and Brady did deserve it.

Eli actually has better odds than Randy or Maroney. Not sure if that logically follows with the -14 pt dogs betting line. but whatever.

MVP thing is bogus vote anyway - almost as bad a popularity contest as the pro-bowl thing. Brady got it in first SB and Ty Law deserved it. Branch got it over Brady in the other SB and Brady did deserve it.

I thought Rodney could have gotten it in the 3rd superbowl.

Actually it makes sense if you look at the line on Brady. The line is predicting that Patriots win Tom gets MVP. But if the Giants win then Eli will surely be the MVP. Basically that Maroney beating Tom out in the popularity contest is a longer shot than the Giants winning the SB.

If Tom hadn't had the stones to engineer the drive with a minute twenty left and no time outs, after having thrown a TD pass to Patten just before half time, nothing Ty did would have mattered. Ditto if he didn't out gun Delhomme in the second SB when the D was also folding, and McNabb in the third (who really self destructed more than our D impacted him). Branch was merely a target. A WR would really have to dominate to get my vote over the guy throwing him the ball, and a defender would have to make multiple plays that included scoring. Defense may well win championships, but absent scoring it simply can't (See Ravens and Bears). Manning didn't deserve it last year - his rookie and scrub RB's should have been co-mvp's.

Maroney is going to be the MVP if Brady isn't. Maroney has been on fire and he could be used in that 3 te set to wear down the giants.

Maroney is going to be the MVP if Brady isn't. Maroney has been on fire and he could be used in that 3 te set to wear down the giants.

I think this is a likely scenario. If not, it's Brady for sure. Personally, I would LOVE to see Seau get it as a nod to his dedication in the NFL, however, I suppose that's what the HOF is for.

I hope Moss is not the MVP. I prefer the control the ball Pats balanced with run and pass (and short passes at that) to the lock in on Moss and throw it up and hope Pats.

moss could just get 4 td catches in the redzone, that is possible. moss could get like under 30 yards the whole game yet walk away with like 4 catching TDs.

Deion Branch got superbowl mvp with the patriots in one of their superbowls, why not Randy moss?

redzone, toe drag highlight reeel catches, that should make him superbowl mvp.

I have really put some thought into this, and if his trend continues it is very realistic that Kevin Faulk could be our MVP. He has played very well. Laurence is awesome, Tom is the man, and Randy will most certainly blow by the DB's and make the coverage look like college kids. But, I have a good feeling about Faulk. He is the perfect weapon against them. He is awesome the short route, and a bruiser on third down. I guess we will see. Another sleeper pick could be Wes Welker. Sneaky and Quick. Perfect for that 1st & Goal! No matter who our MVP is we you can rest assured they will reflect it back on the team. Because our boys have class! Yes, even Randy has learned to be a great teammate! GO PATS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes