PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rams trade for the #1 pick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I came across the name of Jon Robinson and looked him up. That explains that, then. LOL.
Ref: Wiki: Jon Robinson (American football) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may not be the conventional wisdom, but it would be OK for the Rams to tank the 1st season in LA - people will be happy just to have a team - don't make this move. But they did. So if this deal goes bust, they have multiple losing seasons and fans definitely unhappy long-term.
LA fans are notorious for being front runners who won't follow teams that lose.

That's part of the folklore about why the Rams left LA a few decades ago.

Time will tell.

I don't know what the fan base in LA is today, but if they are so impatient to help pressure the Rams to make this trade, they deserve this (a bust.)

I remember in the 70's the fans in LA were probably the worst ever. Frequently booing their own team. Sportswriters frequently stating the Rams had a home field disadvantage. The Rams in the 70s remind me of the recent Colts - dominate team in a very weak division that's generally one-and-done come playoffs.

LA does not seem to be that football-hungry - why has it taken 20 years to get an NFL team to return to the 2nd largest metropolitian area in the US?

Fans I feel for are the ones in Cleveland - they pull for the Browns no matter what. Team moved out and they got the NFL to give them another one - remarkable for a rustbelt city. And the fans suffer the worst owner in the NFL - no playoffs since they were reestablished.

Spectaular job by Jon Robinson. He recognises the value of, well, value. He's been taght well.

They can pick up a very nice player at #15 (Conklin, Alexander, Treadwell?) and then load up further in the second round. And that's not mentioning next year's Draft.....

For the Rams, I see the reasoning but this is risky beyond words.
I smell a deal of Foles to the Broncos for a pick. The only have 5 left. Meanwhile the Titans have 6 picks in the first 100.

Why Foles? He might be better. He is a year younger than Kaepernick. Lets face it, both played on weak Teams these past few years.

Using 2012 as the Term:
Kaepernick: 9995 yards Foles:8805 yards
TDS: 56 TDS:53
INTS:28 INT:27

SINCE 2012 Kaepernick has played in 54 games and Foles 39

Money wise;

$12mm Kaepernick versus $1.75mm for Foles??????

Yes but Kaeperick runs! Foles got 225 yards in 2013

Denver has two picks in Round 3 (one is Comp)
DW Toys

Fans I feel for are the ones in Cleveland - they pull for the Browns no matter what. Team moved out and they got the NFL to give them another one - remarkable for a rustbelt city. And the fans suffer the worst owner in the NFL - no playoffs since they were reestablished.
They even had a young Belichick as their coach for a while. Too bad for them that he needed a bit more maturing before he became a force.

Holy ****, that was highway robbery. It's like they learned nothing at all from the RG3 trade.

The only way that trade could possibly be worth it is if there's a sure-thing QB prospect available, and even then it's dicey. There isn't anything close to a 'sure thing' in this draft, although I think Goff is closer to it than Wentz.

Credit to them for being aggressive in addressing the biggest hole on their roster, but damn, some prices are too high to pay.

I don't get the attacks on the Rams side of this trade. The Rams won 7 games last year, despite having a terrible offense. They've had a bunch of extra picks that they've been able to make, thanks to the RGIII trade. They're getting picks back next year.

It's a good move for the Rams. Now, it's just a question of whether or not their soon-to-be-chosen QB ends up being worth a damn.

Its alot to give up you can bet the success of the 16 rookie qbs will be highly scrutinized and if hes not a top performing QB and is a poor mans Andy Dalton Fisher and co will be shown the door.

I don't get the attacks on the Rams side of this trade. The Rams won 7 games last year, despite having a terrible offense. They've had a bunch of extra picks that they've been able to make, thanks to the RGIII trade. They're getting picks back next year.

It's a good move for the Rams. Now, it's just a question of whether or not their soon-to-be-chosen QB ends up being worth a damn.

Cousins , I think Paxton Lynch has now made a top ten pick. He made a ton of $$$$ in this happening and also Ryan Fitzpatrick might have helped himself.
DW Toys

Says the guy that would complain about Belichick trading out of one of the 2nd round picks and moving back 4-5 spots to pick up a 4th round pick.

I don't get the attacks on the Rams side of this trade.
Rams gave up 5 picks - 2 of them in the 1st round. But you already know that.

If the Rams land the next Andrew Luck - it's worth it. The batting average of teams getting a solid QB in the first round has not been good. Have the Rams drafted well recently?

I think most members like BB playing the percentages approach...getting 5 picks no lower than the 3rd is more likely to be successful than risking it all on the 1st pick of the draft.

The Rams lost Jenkins, Fairley, Long, McLeod, Laurinaitis, etc. and now have no significant picks in 2016 to fill these holes.

If the Rams defense falls apart, the Titans could be getting a top 5 2017 pick in return.

Rams gave up 5 picks - 2 of them in the 1st round. But you already know that.

If the Rams land the next Andrew Luck - it's worth it. The batting average of teams getting a solid QB in the first round has not been good.

I think most members like BB playing the percentages approach...getting 5 picks no lower than the 3rd is more likely to be successful than risking it all on the 1st pick of the draft.

They gave up less than they got in the RGIII deal
BB moves up just about as much as he moves down

Spectaular job by Jon Robinson. He recognises the value of, well, value. He's been taght well.

They can pick up a very nice player at #15 (Conklin, Alexander, Treadwell?) and then load up further in the second round. And that's not mentioning next year's Draft.....

For the Rams, I see the reasoning but this is risky beyond words.
I guess it makes some sort of perverse sense if they're thinking that they sucked last year and they're playing with House Money after the RGIII trade...but I'm not sold on the logic...

Last edited:
Keep making decisions like this and the Rams will be moving back to St Louis in a few years.

Naw, that bridge is burnt. London Rams - yes in the NFC West. :)

The only thing i don't like about this trade for the Rams is i hear they are not sure about who they want. I doubt that is the case but if that is the case that is so stupid and you are looking to grab headlines instead of building a team. If you want to sell out for a player that is okay but you better damn well believe in the player.

The open question is whether the effect the trade will have on attendance and team sales over the next few years.

As folks have said for decades, it is difficult for an NFL team to be financially successful in LA.

Being 8-8 may or may not sell more tickets than being 6-10.

Lets see few years ago WSH gave STL 7 picks for a QB... the outcome... RGIII will be a PS guy in 2 years.. Now STL is doing the same.. I just dont get it..

Lets see few years ago WSH gave STL 7 picks for a QB... the outcome... RGIII will be a PS guy in 2 years.. Now STL is doing the same.. I just dont get it..
The common thread is that when WSH went for RG3 they also had a relatively new billionaire owner and a relatively new stadium and a so a paniced front office with a dire need to make a splash to keep their jobs.

Tennessee effectively moving down 14 slots in round 1.

Who are the rams targetting?
Not Who, but What......Excitement in Los Angeles......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News