PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rams trade for the #1 pick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right in the competitive side of things, but i don't think you are truly thinking about the "Marketing" standpoint. The LA Rams will need, more than anything else right now, to sell tickets. It is better to have an exciting commodity, even if uncertain, now and generate momentum and enthusiasm than to slowly build a team for the future. That's why i don't dislike the trade. If any established franchise did it, i would hate it.

I think they sold over 56000 season tickets already. LA is a fickle sports town that, although large, has already lost several NFL teams over the years. I'm going to wait and see what they do with the pick, but to me, this shocks me. This is the reverse RG 3 trade with the Redskins. Even though they "won" the trade with Washington and the RG 3 deal, they not only failed to make a winner but didn't learn that it didn't help the skins at all.

This helps the Titans beat the Colts. Good.

There was an article about the draft by Bill Barnwell today on BSPN. I know many don't want to click the link, so the summary is in his concluding sentence:

"A simple reminder to be stapled atop every draft board: All the evidence suggests that regardless of the era or its schemes, the best way to make one good draft pick is to start with two draft picks."

Aren't you leaving out the 2017 1st and 3rd that the Titans are getting?

No.. I have added the 2016 picks value and left with the number for what the perceived 2017 picks are valued.. 908pts.. but I missed I think some picks as they were not put on the deal on page 2.

Checking full trade

EDIT.. Full trade was there.

Basically

Titans 2016 picks (3088.6) - Rams 2016 picks (2180) = 908.6 which is the value of the 1st and 3rd. I put the two scenarios with the best third and worst for comparison also.

Last edited:
The price of which I hear there are proposals for taking it down .02 (for all the suckers who went all-in on "forever" stamps, FU LOL), so there's another waste of cap space. I hope it doesn't cost us in getting a Collins or Butler extension.
For your geeky understanding of the postal system and its cap implications, YOU WIN THE INTERNET!

You can tell how impressed I am, because I used capital letters.

Even though they "won" the trade with Washington and the RG 3 deal, they not only failed to make a winner but didn't learn that it didn't help the skins at all.
Yet the narrative being spun everywhere is that the Rams "might" be a QB away from being a playoff team.

This helps the Titans beat the Colts. Good.
Be careful of what you wish for. The Colts seem to be pretty good at shooting themselves in the feet. The Titans just got themselves a whole wad of lottery picks. You never know how that's going to work out.

"A simple reminder to be stapled atop every draft board: All the evidence suggests that regardless of the era or its schemes, the best way to make one good draft pick is to start with two draft picks."
Hard to argue that point.

I think the rams are taking a huge chance here. I like what the Titans did, they got their franchise QB last year, now stockpile picks to surround him with talent. Media outlets are saying that the Rams are going to take Carson Wentz with the pick. Although I'm not sold on any of the QB prospects as franchise QBs. Selecting a Div. 1 QB who was hurt most of last year with the #1 pick is about as risky as it gets.

The fans will all be thinking "Wentz did our all our draft picks go?".
Yes, I expect that their evaluation of this move will be "withering."

I don't like this trade, but there is one thing that should be in mind:

the Los Angeles Rams need excitment. They are new in the city, and they want someone to be their symbol. Trading up for a QB and getting the new face of the franchise in a new city is more valuable than another first round pick.

It could backfire badly, but i completely understand the decision
Yes, I think it is "exciting" when Management displays its stupidity to its new fan-base from the very beginning!

The Rams are letting all Los Angelinos know that "the newest Jeff Fisher Production will soon be in a theater near you!"

Props to the former Patriot, he obviously learned from BB!

When I first heard the trade this morning my first thought was that the Titans fleeced the Rams and had me wondering who was running that team (the Rams.) Then I came across the name of Jon Robinson and looked him up. That explains that, then. LOL.

This may not be the conventional wisdom, but it would be OK for the Rams to tank the 1st season in LA - people will be happy just to have a team - don't make this move. But they did. So if this deal goes bust, they have multiple losing seasons and fans definitely unhappy long-term.

Spectaular job by Jon Robinson. He recognises the value of, well, value. He's been taght well.

They can pick up a very nice player at #15 (Conklin, Alexander, Treadwell?) and then load up further in the second round. And that's not mentioning next year's Draft.....

For the Rams, I see the reasoning but this is risky beyond words.

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but:

How does this compare to what the Rams got when they traded away the pick used on RG III (because they had their QB of the future in Sam Bradford)?

This may not be the conventional wisdom, but it would be OK for the Rams to tank the 1st season in LA - people will be happy just to have a team - don't make this move. But they did. So if this deal goes bust, they have multiple losing seasons and fans definitely unhappy long-term.

With all of those high picks from the Rams I'm sure the Titans would LOVE the Rams to tank next year.

Interesting move by the Rams. If Wentz is the real deal, they'll be set for years. If he's not, Jeff Fisher won't be around to care.

Brilliant job by Fisher. This means he can draft a QB then use their development as an excuse for another few below average seasons. Who cares about winning right? What an absolute master class in mediocrity.

What's at stake here is not only the picks involved and the risk of a terrible trade but also how well LA will welcome the Rams and show their support continuously. If they suck 3 years in a row (and let's be honest, that's more likely than they having 2 winning seasons out of 3, they may find themselves and this whole NFL LA project in a bad position.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft