PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Radical Idea - Trade for Gholston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gholston has a significant cap amount attached to him, doesn't he? If the Jets can't get anything out of him on the field, then I bet they'd be willing to trade him on the cheap just to get some salary cap room in the next couple years. And then they could offer Revis more money.

Just to be clear, the above two sentences in no way indicate my desire for the Pats to try and trade for him ...

=====================================================

Jets and Ghoulston renegotiated in this past off season. The new deal is incentive based with a base salary of around 600,000 for 3 or 4 years. (this is my recolection of the #s, needs verified)
The Jets could cut Ghoulston today and not have any future money to pay to Ghoulston or towards the cap.

So even though he has been a bust there is still some upside at those prices.

Jets and Ghoulston renegotiated in this past off season. The new deal is incentive based with a base salary of around 600,000 for 3 or 4 years. (this is my recolection of the #s, needs verified)
The Jets could cut Ghoulston today and not have any future money to pay to Ghoulston or towards the cap.

:rofl: ... good job Gunnails ... only a true fan would find some upside to a bad pick. :p

Havent they paved the way for that move by stashing him at a position he is 40 lbs to light for?
The irony is that he relied on being stronger than a lot the guys he faced in college, but he is on the other end of that in the NFL (not really so much his fault just that he is one of those guys that can own a lot of the guys he faces on the college level, but is owned by the ones good enough to make it at the next level) and now they amplify the problem by making him an undersized 3-4 DE. Any idea what the logic is there? It seems like just setting him up to fail.

:rofl: ... good job Gunnails ... only a true fan would find some upside to a bad pick. :p

================================

LOL,:) I recognize the bust Ghoulston is, still he is an intriguing player, my point was poorly made, my point is he is tradeable in regards to his contract, So go get em Icy.:rolleyes:

I can sit here and say that would be a terrible trade for the Patriots. Even just to give up a 7th rounder. Gholston has not showed one glimmer of potential in this league. He is gutless and terrible.

Havent they paved the way for that move by stashing him at a position he is 40 lbs to light for?
The irony is that he relied on being stronger than a lot the guys he faced in college, but he is on the other end of that in the NFL (not really so much his fault just that he is one of those guys that can own a lot of the guys he faces on the college level, but is owned by the ones good enough to make it at the next level) and now they amplify the problem by making him an undersized 3-4 DE. Any idea what the logic is there? It seems like just setting him up to fail.

I have no idea if Ghost will ever find success, how ever he is a physical freak, and this will be his 3rd year, considering his contract as it stands, and where he was drafted at, I believe he is worth holding onto for another year.

That and he sucked at OLB so giving him a shot with his hand on the ground at DE, where he had all his success in college, makes some sense.

I have no idea if Ghost will ever find success, how ever he is a physical freak, and this will be his 3rd year, considering his contract as it stands, and where he was drafted at, I believe he is worth holding onto for another year.

That and he sucked at OLB so giving him a shot with his hand on the ground at DE, where he had all his success in college, makes some sense.
I would think the best chance for him to have success would be to get him out in space either at OLB in the 34 or DE in the nickel/dime. At least that gives him a chance to use the skills he has. (He has to become a moves/quickness guy if he will ever make it)
Playing him at 34 DE against NFL OTs just seems like certain failure.
That really doesnt resemble what he play in college.
Ghoulston in college (Im a huge Buckeye fan, loved Ghouston at OSU and prayed the Patriots wouldnt draft him) was more like the overpowering DE who often moved inside to outquick Gs on 3rd down.
At the college level, often those skills could overwhelm the competition, in the NFL, he is just overmatched. Its kind of like playing a 7 footer who lacks bball skills against Div III opponents where he is guarded by a 6'4 guy. When you get him against other 7 footers he is a different guy.

At this point, his only real chance for success is to get into a 4-3 defense and play DE there. He does not have a place in a 3-4 defense: too small to play DE, and while he's ideally sized for OLB, he just lacks the skills to play it.

At this point, I feel pretty confident in saying that he'll never do much of anything in the NFL, but if he ever does it will be in a 4-3 defense.

Last edited:
At this point, his only real chance for success is to get into a 4-3 defense and play DE there. He does not have a place in a 3-4 defense: too small to play DE, and while he's ideally sized for OLB, he just lacks the skills to play it.

At this point, I feel pretty confident in saying that he'll never do much of anything in the NFL, but if he ever does it will be in a 4-3 defense.
The Colts should look at trading for Gholston to spell either Freeney or Mathis at times. Seems like a formation built on speed which could suit him.

Last edited:
Gholston never wanted to be a football player. He is a body builder.

But in high school someone smartly advised him that he wasn't gonna get a college scholarship as a body builder, but if he joined the high school football team he could. So he did. And he because he was the much stronger than anyone on the offensive line he dominated, and got a college scholarship.

Once again in college he did well, not because of technique but because he was stronger than almost any offensive lineman he opposed.

Upon graduating college he had a choice. Do what he loved...become a professional body builder and make maybe $60,000 a year but more likely nothing and have to work at UPS. Or he could become a professional football player. He wisely choose (like many people) to take the better paying job that he disliked instead of taking the job he would enjoy more but that paid much less.

My prediction for Gholston, is he gets cut after this season and becomes the wealthiest person on the Ironman circuit. In three years from now there will be a thread started by someone who was flipping thru the channels at 3 am and saw on ESPN2 that VG took 2nd place in the boulder hurling competition or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back