PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Questions BB wouldn't answer at Meeting today

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » A look at the questions Patriots coach Bill Belichick didn’t answer…

There was one question and answer from BB that caught my eye.

On if negotiations with Wes Welker are possible this week:I don’t know, we’ll see how it goes. All the players that are on our roster, there’s some degree of looking to the future with every player so, we don’t have anything to announce or report so I don’t know.”

Ok, we need a translator :confused::bricks:

"We're in uncharted territory here, so we're trying to feel our way."

I'm not sure that I would necessarily consider the situation "unchartered water" for Belichick or the front office, as they have dealt with this same sort of deal in multiple situations on various occasions. From Branch to Seymour to Law to A.Samuel to Watson, etc. All were different in some aspect, but they all had the common bond of a gap between the parties for whatever reason.

What I would translate this to be is the same sort of generic politically correct type of answer that we've all grown to love/hate at the same time.

Bill isn't stupid, as we all know; far from it. He's well rehersed for most of the possible questions. You can tell that there are some every now and then that may catch him off guard, but for the most part, he's got his bases pretty well covered.

He knows that he's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't--in terms of how he's going to answer some of these questions. If he admits that they probably won't be negotiating with Welker this upcoming week, it will be in many of the newspapers and websites all across the country. That could potentially come off as being negative, even if there wasn't a negative connotation behind it.

I would agree with part of what you say--he very well may not realistically know, one way or the other, what will necessarily happen this week. Wes' agent could call with a counter-offer, or any one of many variables like that which could change the entire outlook of the negotiations.

As a community service, I have excerpted the highlights of the very informative answers that BB gave to the Press at the NFL's annual meeting yesterday. I know that this will give us plenty of food for thought and debate in the coming weeks. ;)

If we have any announcements to make on any player, we’ll make them when it’s appropriate.…Some of them work out, some of them don't…Some of them we sign, some of them we don't...any of those announcements we'll make when we're ready to make 'em.

We'll see how it goes...We'll take the players we think give us the best chance. I don't know who that's going to be. We'll let our guys compete, see how it goes.

We'll see what the roster ends up being this year...We'll see how it all comes together.

...If we do, we do. If we don’t, it’ll be because we feel like there’s better value to doing something whatever it is we do, I don’t know.

[Editor's Note: this final statement, I believe, qualifies for enshrinement in the Belichick Hall of Fame as a premium example of "A Full Belichick."]

Last edited:
Seriously, do we really want to really read into what Belichick says in interviews. Most of his stuff is just cliches and avoidance. I wouldn't read too much into anything Belichick says in an interview.

Seriously, do we really want to really read into what Belichick says in interviews. Most of his stuff is just cliches and avoidance. I wouldn't read too much into anything Belichick says in an interview.

Yeah, that's kinda like my point above...

Yeah, that's kinda like my point above...

But Belichick really never answers questions like that. I am actually surprised he didn't pull out his patented "I can only talk about players currently under contract (on the roster)".

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » A look at the questions Patriots coach Bill Belichick didn’t answer…

There was one question and answer from BB that caught my eye.

Ok, we need a translator :confused::bricks:

BB Translation: We've made Welker a solid offer on long term deal at a price that we feel is appropriate based on Welker's current and future expected producton levels. Unfortunately Welker's idiot agent thinks our offer is a starting point for negotiations instead of the ending point, which has forced to to A.) Sign extra WR's in case his agent convinces Welker to holdout. And B.) Give Welker and Welker's idiot agent the silent treatment in the hopes that they get paranoid from the silence which causes them to come around to our way of thinking and sign our original long term deal. If in twenty five days or so they have not started showing signs of slient treatment fatigue, we may draft, very early, another WR just to show them who holds all the power.
At the end of the day I am BB and I will get my way!

But Belichick really never answers questions like that. I am actually surprised he didn't pull out his patented "I can only talk about players currently under contract (on the roster)".

I dunno. but, "...If we do, we do. If we don’t, it’ll be because we feel like there’s better value to doing something whatever it is we do, I don’t know," sounds pretty close to that. :singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back