PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

QB and Oline Coaches

Why did this need it's own thread? There is already a thread talking about Coaches OTHER than the OC/DC?

Also, when was the last time Albert Breer broke ANYTHING noteworthy about the Patriots since he left the beat?

There's a difference between being qualified for a job and being good at it.

Meh, BB doesn't know anything and doesn't care about his legacy.
He probably doesn't care if he wins another game so just hires bums for the coaching jobs.
I am disgusted by his apathy. Does he know nothing?

Where is the sarcasm emoji?

while they didn’t play the positions professionally, Patricia was a college O-Lineman, and Judge a QB. Patricia also coached line earlier in his career.
I'm pleasantly surprised that people are supportive of this move. Joe Judge was doomed the minute he brought in Jason Garrett as OC. He also went into NY with the newbie BB attitude of I know everything because I worked for BB. Patricia wasn't able to win the locker room but his players managed to lose games in unbelievable ways. I remember a back fumbling at the one in a game already won. In another one a receiver fumbled at the goal line for a touchback. There were other instances just as bizarre. He also went in with that same attitude as Judge. Still don't know if there will be a real OC and who will call the plays. It will have to be someone experienced and assertive with two former head coaches on the staff.

I'm pleasantly surprised that people are supportive of this move. Joe Judge was doomed the minute he brought in Jason Garrett as OC. He also went into NY with the newbie BB attitude of I know everything because I worked for BB. Patricia wasn't able to win the locker room but his players managed to lose games in unbelievable ways. I remember a back fumbling at the one in a game already won. In another one a receiver fumbled at the goal line for a touchback. There were other instances just as bizarre. He also went in with that same attitude as Judge. Still don't know if there will be a real OC and who will call the plays. It will have to be someone experienced and assertive with two former head coaches on the staff.

I think BB assistants tend to try to emulate Bill in ways that just don't work for anyone other than him. Bill's way most certainly isn't the only way to coach, but I do believe it is the only way for HIM to coach. It's better to be 100% yourself, than to to be 80% someone else, even if that someone else might be more successful. Players can see through that. Belichick gets players to buy in with his tough coaching because they can tell that's genuinely who he is (and they win). A guy like Patricia might say and do a lot of the same things, but if it feels forced, players won't respond to it. McDaniels felt the same way at times in Denver. It'll be interesting to see if he's learned that lesson the second time around.

Flores and to some extent O'Brien were successful because they brought their own personalities to their new gigs. O'Brien's problem was his personnel decisions (amongst other organizational dysfunction) and Flores... well, obviously that situation is complicated.

I think BB assistants tend to try to emulate Bill in ways that just don't work for anyone other than him. Bill's way most certainly isn't the only way to coach, but I do believe it is the only way for HIM to coach. It's better to be 100% yourself, than to to be 80% someone else, even if that someone else might be more successful. Players can see through that. Belichick gets players to buy in with his tough coaching because they can tell that's genuinely who he is (and they win). A guy like Patricia might say and do a lot of the same things, but if it feels forced, players won't respond to it. McDaniels felt the same way at times in Denver. It'll be interesting to see if he's learned that lesson the second time around.

Flores and to some extent O'Brien were successful because they brought their own personalities to their new gigs. O'Brien's problem was his personnel decisions (amongst other organizational dysfunction) and Flores... well, obviously that situation is complicated.

I agree with this, new coaches need to be themselves, not Belichick clones. Also, I’m not sure Belichick’s current style would work if he were, in 2022 just starting out. His ability to act the way he does is because he has had so much success. If he did not have that same resume, would players buy in?

I agree with this, new coaches need to be themselves, not Belichick clones. Also, I’m not sure Belichick’s current style would work if he were, in 2022 just starting out. His ability to act the way he does is because he has had so much success. If he did not have that same resume, would players buy in?

Also probably very true. I think this is why, even with all the rules setup to promote parity in the NFL, there are still teams that are successful for long stretches. Winning perpetuates more winning, because having players buy in 100% to a system is always the best way to win, regardless of what system is in place. You can say defense style A is better than defense style B, and maybe in general it is, but if you've got players all pulling the same direction with B, it'll work, and if only 10 of 11 guys are on the same page with A, it won't. Belichick's success, as well as the leadership on his teams, lead to more unified teams.

Why are people convinced that being an unsuccessful head coach means they can't be a good positional coaches. They got the head coach positions because they were considered good at what they do. By that logic very few head coaches would get another job. Both coaches are well known to the organisation. It seems like a good move to me.

Anybody know the status of the young coach who was booted last season for refusing the jab? Cole Popovich or something.

Anybody know the status of the young coach who was booted last season for refusing the jab? Cole Popovich or something.
I think this was asked recently and someone replied that he had taken a job with one of the college teams. I will try to find it

Cole Popovich took a job with Troy University.

Well, DaBruinz, you’ve let us know how you feel about Fat Matt and Billy Yates handling Oline coaching:

I hope you’re wrong to fret. But I feel a sense of foreboding about this group.

You should do some research in Belichick. Players bought into him before anyone knew who he was, because he helped them play better.
There is likely not a human in the planet who knows more about football and can teach a football player how to be better. It’s a damn shame that “fans” I’d this team have decided to make it their hobby to trash the guy.

You should do some research in Belichick. Players bought into him before anyone knew who he was, because he helped them play better.
There is likely not a human in the planet who knows more about football and can teach a football player how to be better. It’s a damn shame that “fans” I’d this team have decided to make it their hobby to trash the guy.
Calm down. Why so aggressive? I know who Belichick is. No need to start taking what I said out of context.

I appreciate Belichick, but I said “2022” and there is a different mentality today than 30 years ago when he got his first head coaching job.

Do you think Bear Bryant could get away with what he did at College Junction in 1954?

Also, I think if you look at how Belichick approached things early in his tenure versus today, you will See a difference. Would 2021 Belichick allow Terry Glenn to act as Terry Glenn did in 2001?

Calm down.

Calm down. Why so aggressive? I know who Belichick is. No need to start taking what I said out of context.

I appreciate Belichick, but I said “2022” and there is a different mentality today than 30 years ago when he got his first head coaching job.

Do you think Bear Bryant could get away with what he did at College Junction in 1954?

Also, I think if you look at how Belichick approached things early in his tenure versus today, you will See a difference. Would 2021 Belichick allow Terry Glenn to act as Terry Glenn did in 2001?

Calm down.
I’m calm, and you are wrong. The reason Belichick earned the respect that he has, and continues to, is the reason he would succeed in any era.
What exactly do you think belichick does that is era specific? The types of players that do not care to put the team first aren’t the types of players he would want any way. Unless you are arguing that in 2022 success is about not putting the team first, which is funny.

How did he allow Terry Glenn to act in any way? By releasing him?

The only reason Bill is signing back all the 35 yo (avg) players is so they can help him communicate with the young ones. There's a reason why there's only 3 old AF coaches left (BB, AB, PC).

The only reason Bill is signing back all the 35 yo (avg) players is so they can help him communicate with the young ones. There's a reason why there's only 3 old AF coaches left (BB, AB, PC).
That's possible and a positive IMO, besides the fact they they've lived a career of success. He could also be using them to identify just who cannot be gotten through to and not worth the time or investment. Not all players get picked by the right team.

Apologies ....not quite on topic but I have not seen any announcement re Ivan Fears officially retiring yet ??

Apologies ....not quite on topic but I have not seen any announcement re Ivan Fears officially retiring yet ??
He did but un-retired. You missed it.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back