PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Putting together my Patriots Big Board: Running Backs

Ameer Abdullah fifth? I can't agree with that.

Ameer Abdullah fifth? I can't agree with that.
The grades are very close between 2 and 5, but that is indeed where he ends up for me. I am probably higher on Duke Johnson.
I tend to like the bigger backs and I find Duke to have more explosive traits than Abdullah, but like I said, those 2 through 5 guys could go in any different order and you wouldn't get any complaints out of me.
Where do you have him?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but isn't Melvin Gordon one of the premier backs in the draft, too? Do you not think he fits with the Pats? Thanks. :)

The grades are very close between 2 and 5, but that is indeed where he ends up for me. I am probably higher on Duke Johnson.
I tend to like the bigger backs and I find Duke to have more explosive traits than Abdullah, but like I said, those 2 through 5 guys could go in any different order and you wouldn't get any complaints out of me.
Where do you have him?

He's the second best RB in the draft as far as I'm concerned, although I haven't paid much attention to Melvin Gordon. Abdullah's vision is second to none, and I don't think that's necessarily limited to this draft class, he always seems to be a step ahead of the defenders when recognising where the gaps in a defense are. Abdullah punches well above his weight, has great hands, outstanding intangibles, and this is where I disagree again, is very explosive - the combine doesn't lie on that score.

Each to their own, but if I'm in the market for a RB high in the draft, Gurley's the only one I take ahead of Abdullah.

Fear Ameer!

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but isn't Melvin Gordon one of the premier backs in the draft, too? Do you not think he fits with the Pats? Thanks. :)
Gordon is a top back in this class. For me though, where he will get picked in comparison to where I see his value for the Patriots is so far off that I didn't include him.
He has great talent, but there are things about his game I don't love (bounces alot outside, runs uprights, etc.) that I don't see him as a viable option unless he fell to the end of the 2nd round. (he won't)

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back