PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PSI this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will have cold weather games all playoffs. THE MEDIA should be doing PSI checks on footballs.
There is NOTHING stopping the national Manning media (except fear of the truth) or even the local mediots from bringing footballs to Gillette next Saturday (that will be a more comparable weather situation to past years Colt game that zero degrees in Minny this Sunday), record the PSI indoors and then take them outdoors, pick them up and handle them/toss them around every so often and at halftime bring them back inside, let them sit for a few minutes and then check the PSI.
Really surprised this hasn't been done yet.

Go buy a football and a gauge. Perform the experiment on your own. Tweet the results.
Start the wave (since I refuse to join Twitter or Facebook, I can't do it. :()...

It's too bad we don't have any Vikings fans around who could do the experiment..

Just read NFL* WILL NOT record PSI in Minny for Vike's PO Game where it's projected to be like in 4 -10 degrees . Integrity huh?!

Omissioner_Clouseau.jpg

I seem to remember that Ted Wells said the Ideal Gas law is really just a theory and that a lot of complicated things have to happen for it to work.

So Commissioner Scheisskopf already knows that pretty much anything could happen to the balls so there's no reason to measure them.

Roger was asked about why the NFL is not monitoring all footballs, he said:

Free Peyton*

I went to a Colts board where they were discussing the wild card weekend games and the cold weather in Minnesota.

I merely provided a link to that football pressure calculator and I was BANNED!
Martin Schmaltz' pressure calculator

lol... morons, so afraid of the truth...

I went to a Colts board where they were discussing the wild card weekend games and the cold weather in Minnesota.

I merely provided a link to that football pressure calculator and I was BANNED!
Martin Schmaltz' pressure calculator

lol... morons, so afraid of the truth...

I'd bet if you sent them cellphone numbers for meth dealers you'd have been welcomed with open arms.

I can't help but think of the Panthers getting caught warming balls in Minnesota last year. Why would someone warm balls on a cold day? To make the balls easier to hold on to and grip. Why would someone (supposedly) deflate balls? To make the balls easier to hold on to and grip.

Panthers, who were caught red handed on live TV tampering with the equipment, got a letter of warning. Patriots got a $5 million, 4 month investigation, and based on the "more probable than not" standard, list a 1st, a 4th and had their star QB suspended 4 games (which, as we all know, was set aside in federal court).

This was the reasoning used by Goodell to excuse the Panther's tampering:

“The conduct at issue here is also very different from the ball-warming incident in Minnesota last year, in which a Carolina Panthers ball attendant was observed warming a ball on the Vikings’ sideline; there was no evidence of any intentional attempt to violate or circumvent the rules, no player involvement, and no effort to conceal the ball attendant’s conduct. As (NFL executive VP of football operations) Mr. (Troy) Vincent testified, the ball never got into the game and the matter “was addressed immediately.”

The Panthers ball attendant was shown on camera, heating the ball - That's an "intentional attempt to violate or circumvent the rules." There's no way around that fact.

How does the league know there was no player involvement? Did they interview anyone on the Panthers? If so, who they spoke to and what they said has never been disclosed, assuming it happened in the first place.

Somehow, because this happened in the open and on camera, it's acceptable. "I saw you cheat, so you're okay. You, I didn't see you do anything, but I believe you did, so you're in big trouble." - That's just an insane line of thinking.

I seem to remember that Ted Wells said the Ideal Gas law is really just a theory and that a lot of complicated things have to happen for it to work.

So Commissioner Scheisskopf already knows that pretty much anything could happen to the balls so there's no reason to measure them.

Is Wells really that ignorant, or was it just spin?

Somehow, because this happened in the open and on camera, it's acceptable. "I saw you cheat, so you're okay. You, I didn't see you do anything, but I believe you did, so you're in big trouble." - That's just an insane line of thinking.

That's demonstrably false as well. When it came down to spygate, we got punished even though the team and coach fully admitted everything after getting caught and were fully transparent and there was video evidence that they gave up.

The NFL punished the Patriots and will continue punishing the Patriots going forward because they're the Patriots, not because of the circumstances of what they did or didn't do at any point.

In the appeal transcript he literally calls the IGL a theory so I'd say he is that ignorant. That's one of a number of hilariously wrong things both he & Vincent say.

Not spin. It's what he said.

Here's the quote from p. 288 of the transcript of the June 23, 2015 hearing . This is from Kessler's direct examination of Wells -

"... The application of the Ideal Gas Law is, in and of itself is, it's kind of nuanced in the sense that the Ideal Gas Law is a theoretical concept that predicts the impact of temperature change on pressure.

And it's a mathematical formula that you need a whole lot of things to be satisfied and in place for it to work." [Emphasis added]​

Goodell and his idiot cronies will never admit they were wrong. If any additional evidence surfaces that casts any doubt on their crusade to discredit the Pats and Tom Brady, it will suffer the same fate as Aaron Hernandes' security camera footage.

Hate to always do this BUT...forget the Idiotissioner's refusal to test the balls THIS weekend...take a look at THIS wildcard ref lineup and then GUESS who we will see in Foxboro next Saturday...because it will NOT be one of these crews..

Wild Card referees: Torbert, Parry, Coleman, Steratore

Boger, Triplette and Vinovich...all three of Goodell's Stooges....poised and ready to strike "for the INTEGRITY of the game!!!"

We've all experience the same thing leaving a basketball in a cold gym or cold garage or cold car. It gets flat. It always happens. Always. Why? Because it's a law of physics. We all - anyone who's ever lived in a cold weather environment - have experienced these things. That's why it's just beyond my ability to understand how nobody said right from the beginning that of COURSE the pressure in the footballs will be lower!

To be fair, I think most people don't really think about it. They most likely just assume air got released somehow. It's not something people care enough about to think that deeply and scientifically on. But AFTER the whole IGL debate it should be obvious now; I can agree with that.

This was the reasoning used by Goodell to excuse the Panther's tampering:

The Panthers ball attendant was shown on camera, heating the ball - That's an "intentional attempt to violate or circumvent the rules." There's no way around that fact.

How does the league know there was no player involvement? Did they interview anyone on the Panthers? If so, who they spoke to and what they said has never been disclosed, assuming it happened in the first place.

Which is why the league didn't make a big deal about "Spygate"...

LOL, there's a reason some things in Physics are called "Laws" and some are called "Theories".

Ted - it's not the Ideal Gas Theory.

maybe nitpicking here, but as a practicing scientist I have to comment that the notion that a scientific theory is a hunch, a guess, or a mere proposal is completely wrong.

That is the common everyday meaning, to laymen, of the word "theory". Example: "my theory is that your cake is dry because you forgot the eggs"

A scientific theory is something totally different and is more fundamental, more predictive, validated by repeated testing and confirmation through observation and experimentation. Individual scientific "laws" can be used to quantify certain specific aspect of the bigger, more encompassing theory.

For example, the theory of gravity is quantified by Newton's (and Einstein's ) laws.

Aspects of the theory of evolution are modeled by Mendel's laws of dominant/recessive trait inheritance.

edit: the ideal gas law could be considered as an consequence of the atomic theory of matter (gases = particles in Brownian motion). The atomic theory of matter us hardly a guess or a hunch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back