Projo: Chalk this one up in the loss column

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Lovely little read from Jim Donaldson at the ProJo today:

Jim Donaldson: The Patriots can chalk this one up in the loss column | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

As far as I can tell, the reasoning is:

1. Peyton Manning (who the Pats D largely controlled for 3+ quarters) shredded the Pats D for 21 points in the 4th quarter 2 weeks ago.

2. Peyton Manning is from Louisiana.

3. The Saints are also from Louisiana.

4. The game is being played in Louisiana.

5. Ergo, the Pats have no chance of winning.

What a jackass.

Jim Donaldson is a dinosaur, who has outlived his usefulness... he blows which way the wind blows... he gives the Pro Jo a bad name...

SMZ unfortunately has to take a back seat to this fool...

I hate the New England/Boston sports media in general

Jim Donaldson: The Patriots can chalk this one up in the loss column | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

1. Peyton Manning (who the Pats D largely controlled for 3+ quarters) shredded the Pats D for 21 points in the 4th quarter 2 weeks ago.

What a jackass.

Yeah, I tried to follow the logic all down and didn't see one football related thing. Swell..... Thanks for your nonesense musings a-hole. :rolleyes:

The guy sounds like a lot of Saints fan I know. Once guy told me that NO was going undefeated this year as retribution for Katrina :confused:

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for the great rejuvenating spirit of the American people and the people of Louisiana and all..... but color me skeptical as to how it extends to their football team.

Seriously. I want Monday to be here 1) To watch the Pats kick ass, and equally 2) get to stop reading thing kind of nonsense.

What a putz....I have to agree with VonDoom..teh media in this area are all too full of themselves.. and for a team like the Patriots to keep taking barbs all the time..I really think these holes should be shipped to Detroit or Cleveland to cover their GREAT football teams..frankly, I ignore most of the media self promotors..Felger, Borges,....YUK!!!!

Donaldson conveniently forgets that the Saints have to play defense also where they rank 17th overall giving up 330 yards a game, are 15th against the pass giving up 214 yards a game and 20th against the run giving up 115 yards/game. In addition, the Saints are giving up 4 more points/game to many of the same quarterbacks that he so summarily dismisses in his article (Henne, Edwards, Sanchez, Ryan, and TB's Josh Freeman - add in a rookie in Matt Stafford of the Lions).

One last item to consider, the record of the Saints opponent is 37-65.

The only time I hear Donaldson's name anymore is when he writes incredibly moronic columns. I really don't care what he thinks.

Its funny we were praising this guy for saying he believed in Belichick 2 weeks ago, now we are saying he is a fossil, because he thinks we will lose tom night..

Games are played on the field and that is how they will be won

Yeah, I tried to follow the logic all down and didn't see one football related thing. Swell..... Thanks for your nonesense musings a-hole. :rolleyes:

The guy sounds like a lot of Saints fan I know. Once guy told me that NO was going undefeated this year as retribution for Katrina :confused:

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for the great rejuvenating spirit of the American people and the people of Louisiana and all..... but color me skeptical as to how it extends to their football team.

Seriously. I want Monday to be here 1) To watch the Pats kick ass, and equally 2) get to stop reading thing kind of nonsense.

It's like the idiocy that the NFL 'had' the 2001 Patriots win the SB because of 9/11. Seriously, you heard this from some fans.

Last edited:
Its funny we were praising this guy for saying he believed in Belichick 2 weeks ago, now we are saying he is a fossil, because he thinks we will lose tom night..

Not me. Never read Donaldson's Belichick column. In fact, I try not to read Donaldson ever.

I don't mind someone predicting the Pats will lose. The rationale makes no sense whatsoever.

This is one of many of articles written by this poor cousin of Borges, I choose not to read most of what he writes, when I do am generally disapointed..as a life time reader of the Pro Jo, find most of what he writes embarassing.

Jim Donaldson is a poor man's Buddy Thomas.

Honestly, my cousin Martha in the nursing home knows more about football.

Wow, I can't believe that with so many of us out of work, this guy has a job.
Lame article.

Jim should do some research and look up the teams that the Saints beat to become 10-0. Along with that does he realize the poor teams ( phins jets panthers rams) who had the saints on the verge of a loss. The saints haven't played anyone yet but will on Monday.

Jim Donaldson is a poor man's Buddy Thomas.

Honestly, my cousin Martha in the nursing home knows more about football.

She should start a football blog if they have wireless access there :)

The only time that I hear of or read anything that this guy writes or says is when it's posted on this board.:(

What a jackass.

Are you just trying to be funny here? I can't tell. If you are serious maybe you should read the article again ...

Like others have said, it's not a good article because he completely ignores the Saints opponents, but here is why he says the Saints will win:

1. HFA is big because of how loud it is in the SuperDome

2. The Saints are averaging a TD more per game in scoring.

3. The Saints offense is deeper than the Patriots.

Are you just trying to be funny here? I can't tell. If you are serious maybe you should read the article again ...

Like others have said, it's not a good article because he completely ignores the Saints opponents, but here is why he says the Saints will win:

1. HFA is big because of how loud it is in the SuperDome

2. The Saints are averaging a TD more per game in scoring.

3. The Saints offense is deeper than the Patriots.

Yes, I read the article. More than once.

Here's some of his points:

1. "The Patriots have faced only one top-quality quarterback all season. That was Colts QB Peyton Manning, who just happens to be a native of New Orleans, having grown up in the fashionable Garden District, a streetcar ride out St. Charles Avenue from the French Quarter. Manning, after getting off to a slow start two weeks ago against the Pats in Indianapolis, directed a finish that was both frenetic and fantastic (for Colts fans), shredding the New England defense for three touchdowns in the fourth quarter while wiping out deficits of 17 points with 14 minutes remaining, and 13 points with just 4 minutes to go. So worried was Patriots coach Bill Belichick about Manning and the Indy offense that, leading by six points with 2:08 to play, he elected to try to pick up a first down on 4th-and-2 at the N.E. 28, rather than punt the ball to the Colts."

Who cares where the heck Manning's from. He could be from Toledo, from crying out loud. It's totally irrelevant. And Manning is in a class by himself (except for Brady). Several of those passes were against good coverage, and were just perfectly thrown balls with fine receptions. And the Pats D essentially kept Manning under control until the end of the game, when the injured DL ran out of steam and Pees played soft coverages again. And while BB clearly respects Manning, do you think his 4th and 2 was motivated more by fear of Manning, or trust in Tom Brady?

2. "Who dat dey say gonna beat dem Saints? Not the Pats. Not here, anyway. Not in front of a full-throated, full house in the Louisiana Superdome, a raucous crowd that could make a Mardi Gras parade seem as genteel as an afternoon tea party. Not in front of a national television audience in what figures to be a highly rated Monday Night Football game."

And what about any of these factors is likely to make a difference? The Pats have played on the roud in loud domes before, most recently 2 weeks ago. Do you really believe that the Pats will lose the game based on crowd noise?

3. "And the Saints have been piling up points. They lead the NFL in scoring, averaging 36.9 points per game — six more than the next-closest team, Brett Favre’s Minnesota Vikings (30.6). The Patriots can light up the scoreboard, too. They lead the AFC, averaging 29 points a game, which promises to make for an exciting game against New Orleans. But that’s still a TD and a PAT shy of the undefeated Saints."

So the big headliner here is that the Saints can put up points on offense. Big scoop. Everyone knows that. But the Saints have been averaging 5 PPG on defensive scores (not counting offensive scores based on short field position from turnovers). And in the last 5 games the Pats have outscored the Saints 38+ PPG to 35 PPG. The first 5 games they averaged less than 21 PPG, as a result of injuries (Wes Welker), top defensive foes (Jets, Broncos), and TB being rusty coming off of a year on IR. In fact, the Pats have played 4 of the top 10 scoring defenses so far in half their games this year (#1 Indy, #5 5 Baltimore, #6 Denver, and #9 NY Jets twice).

Meanwhile 6 of NO's 10 games have come against the 10 worst scoring defenses in the NFL (#32 Detroit, #31 Tampa Bay, #29 St. Louis, #27 Miami, #26 Carolina, and #24 NY Giants). The Saints have played a top 10 scoring defense only once this year (#9 Jets).

4. "New England also ranks second in the league, behind Indianapolis, in scoring defense, allowing an average of just 16.4 points a game. But that number is deceptive because of the quality — or lack of same — of the quarterbacks the Pats have faced so far. Other than Manning, the best they’ve seen have been promising youngsters Matty “Ice” Ryan of the Falcons and Baltimore’s Joe Flacco, whose teams are muddling along at 5-5. Who else impresses you? The Dolphins’ Chad Henne? Denver’s Kyle Orton? Certainly not Buffalo’s Trent Edwards, the Jets’ interception-throwing rookie, Mark Sanchez, Tennessee’s Kerry Collins — who lost his starting job to Vince Young after the Titans were humiliated in New England, 59-0, nor struggling Tampa Bay’s Josh Freeman. Brees is much better than any of them, and has a supporting cast that’s scary."

No one's going to argue that Henne, Orton, Edwards, Sanchez or Collins are better than Drew Brees. But Orton has played extremely well this season, and is by no means a creampuff. And Flacco and Ryan were two of the hottest QBs in the NFL when we played them. I would call them more than "promising youngsters" at this point. The Pats D have faced the teams ranked 3rd (Indy), 8th (Atlanta), 11th (Miami) and 12th (Baltimore) in scoring so far this year. That's not chopped liver. And Baltimore was ranked 2nd in scoring averaging 34 PPG when we faced them.

The best offense the Saints have faced has been the 7th rated Philadelphia Eagles. Like the Pats, the Saints have faced 28th ranked Buffalo and 27th ranked Tampa Bay. But the Saints D has also faced #31 St. Louis, #25 Detroit, and #23 Carolina, so half of their games have been against bottom 10 offenses.

Everyone knows the Saints are good. Everyone knows they have a lot of weapons. Everyone knows that they could win this game.

But for a NE writer to write this going of homeristic crap ("The Saints haven’t lost anywhere, to anybody. And they’re not going to lose to New England. Who dat dey say gonna beat dem Saints? Not the Pats, it says here) clearly smacks of typical Borgian anti-Pats BS.

Yes, I read the article.

It'd be nice to read something positive about the Patriots in a local newspaper for once. We get enough hate from other fans. Negative writing gets more attention though. Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST