Pro Football Talk: Pats attempting to acquire Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
From Pro Football Talk:

MOSS TO PATS RUMORS GATHERING STEAM
Our network of NFL sources is buzzing with talk that the New England Patriots are trying to work a trade with the Raiders for receiver Randy Moss. "It's getting strong," a league source told us a little while ago.
The trading deadline is 4:00 p.m. EDT today.
A week ago our sleuthing could turn up no proof that such a move was possible. But the same gut feeling that had us convinced Neil Rackers would miss that late-game field goal last night for the Cardinals has us thinking that Moss could be making the trip to Massachusetts soon.
Then again, it was that same gut feeling that told us the Raiders would advance to the Super Bowl in Randy's first year with the team.
On Monday, Patriots receiver Doug Gabriel, who was traded from Oakland to New England several weeks back, talked openly about reuniting with Moss. "He can be a fit in this offense because he's a guy who loves to work," Gabriel said. "If Randy was here, he'd make every other receiver want to pick up their game. He made me step my game up. He came and gave us a big push -- not just a small push, a big push -- and made us step up our game."
The obvious argument against such a trade is that the turd-averse Patriots wouldn't want a guy like Moss around. But that same claim could be made about running back Corey Dillon, who was a turd extraordinaire in Cincinnati before being traded to the Pats.
The possible difference is that Randy's turdishness comes from a desire to win games, and a guy like Terrell Owens is more of a me-first, me-only problem child. If our thinking is accurate, then Moss and Dillon have a lot in common.
Besides, we think the Pats realize that the receiver position attracts and/or creates prima donnas. Hell, they drafted Chad Jackson, whom one team took back to the airport early after a horrendous visit in which his cell phone went off twice during a meeting with the head coach. At one point during the visit with said team, Jackson muttered, "I don't want to play here anyway."
The thinking (we think) is that Moss can be influenced by the leadership structure already in place, including quarterback Tom Brady, defensive lineman Richard Seymour, and coach Bill Belichick.
Other considerations are compensation to the Raiders. The Pats already have an extra first-round pick, courtesy of the Deion Branch trade. And if Moss still has his magic, the notion of essentially trading Moss for Branch is a major upgrade, in our view.
Finally, Moss would have to be willing to restructure his contract, which includes salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in 2008. The Pats likely would want to move a lot that money into a signing bonus (or a 2006 roster bonus), reducing the cap hits in coming years -- and possibly extending the contract into 2009 and beyond.
It's a gutsy move for all concerned, but it might be the best thing for everyone involved. The Pats can reload for another Super Bowl run. The Raiders can start to build for the future by getting value for a guy they might have had to cut in the offseason. And Moss can take the stick out of his butt and chase a championship again.

Other than a supposed source, this reads like crap being thrown against the wall.

Crap......

I have to say that this would be pretty badass.

Moss on the Pats would be explosive!!!!

Hoping this happens!!

Moss Patriots talks strong (LINK)

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

"MOSS TO PATS RUMORS GATHERING STEAM

Our network of NFL sources is buzzing with talk that the New England Patriots are trying to work a trade with the Raiders for receiver Randy Moss. "It's getting strong," a league source told us a little while ago."

Not going to happen, would be nice, but not going to happen

This reads like an article that is basically taking a shot in the dark and if they're right can say "we told you so!" and if it doesn't happen their "sources" can tell them it fell through at the last second.

PatsSox363804 said:
This reads like an article that is basically taking a shot in the dark and if they're right can say "we told you so!" and if it doesn't happen their "sources" can tell them it fell through at the last second.
99% of most rumor articles are built the same way.

I really, really want this to happen now.

Sounds like they made up the Chad Jackson bit in order to support their conclusion that NE is fine with acquiring 'turd' players. I'm not calling Moss a 'turd' BTW. Typical PFT.

I totally reneg on my earlier beliefs that this would be a bad move. I am suddenly rooting HARD for this to happen.

*crossed fingers*

I definately want this to happen. All the bad attitude czars here seem to think that the Patriots are all saints and every other team is rotting from the inside. Granted, there are true bad apples (TO) but who would have said that Chad Johnson is a bad apple?

Randy Moss would open up this offense in a big, big way.

Some of you may think its crap and it probaly wont happen, but ProFootballTalk is no joke. They are a reputable NFl news source and are right most of the time. They are mentioned by other columnists in their articles when theres a news story in the NFl thats fresh. I know the TO story that he was rushed to the hospital hit PFT before any other media syndicate out there.

Battaglia said:
Some of you may think its crap and it probaly wont happen, but ProFootballTalk is no joke. They are a reputable NFl news source and are right most of the time. They are mentioned by other columnists in their articles when theres a news story in the NFl thats fresh. I know the TO story that he was rushed to the hospital hit PFT before any other media syndicate out there.

They still have a bit of a stigma attached to them because when they first started out they missed way more often then they hit. But within the past year or so they really have been the first to report on many stories. I believe the main reason is that places like ESPN and CNNSI would rather wait for mutliple confirmations before they run the story.

The whole article looks like BS to me. I just don't see the need to panic trade for Moss. Our wideouts will be fine. Sure, the guy is one of the most talented WRs in the league, but it's not worth the $ and the picks it would take to acquire him.

BradyManny2344 said:
The whole article looks like BS to me. I just don't see the need to panic trade for Moss. Our wideouts will be fine. Sure, the guy is one of the most talented WRs in the league, but it's not worth the $ and the picks it would take to acquire him.

Trading for an elite WR is not a "panic trade" by any definition. A panic trade would be Richard Seymour for Mike Williams. Trading a draft pick or two for Randy Moss is a move to solidify the most glaring weakness on the team.

The weakness at WR is a temporary one. Like all things Patriots, it will be just fine come December and January.

Caspir said:
Trading for an elite WR is not a "panic trade" by any definition. A panic trade would be Richard Seymour for Mike Williams. Trading a draft pick or two for Randy Moss is a move to solidify the most glaring weakness on the team.

not to digress but..........those are some badass sigs you have

..ok, now for Randy Moss

We all know that we don't need him to make the playoffs, but I think he would make us Super Bowl favorites again.

He would open up the offense big time. Everyone would benefit from having him around.

Our wide receivers at the moment lack talent AND depth. Jackson is already in and out of the lineup, what if Troy Brown, Caldwell, or Gabriel were injured. The Pats had major injury issues at WR over their Super Bowl runs but had the depth to overcome it. I don't think we would have the depth to sustain injuries this year. Moss is needed in the WR corp.

THat would be great to see him in a pats uni against the BIlls on SUnday. He doesn't need to learn that many plays to be effective. Run as fast as you can down teh field and catch the ball. That's all he needs.

I definitely wouldn't mind adding Moss to our offense, with stuff like this it's a 99% chance of not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News