PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Price: Ingram negotiations hit a snag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Price - Source: Ingram negotiations hit a snag

Deep snappers are among the lowest paid players on a team.

Lonnie Paxton left because he got a much better deal from Denver.

If the Patriots did not want to pay a 2009 bonus to a deep snapper,

they simply should not have drafted one. Pay for draftees is pre-determined.

Ingram should be receiving a salary and associated bonus less than

the 197th pick but more than the 199th pick. The Patriots want to

change the rules to little or no bonus if you don't make the team. No

sensible agent or player would go along with this.
I am fine with smaller signing bonuses for rookies and bigger roster bonuses.

Explain why if a player is a bust and is useless to the team they should continue to pay him?

I've never understood this.

Veteran's signing bonuses are one thing. They have proven their ability.

But signing bonuses for rookies make no sense at all. Half the first rounders and most of the rest of the players never earn out.

The CAP limits the total money available to pay players.

Why does it make sense to pay proven payers less because you've used up part of your CAP giving signing bonuses to rookies who can't play in the NFL? Give them roster bonuses. If they are as good as they think they are, they will earn the roster bonus. If they suck and are cut, then the money can go to veterans who have paid their dues.

People complain that the rookie pay scales are ruinng the game (rookie QBs making more than Brady, Manning etc), yet when a team tries to get creative to alleviate that problem, they trash the team for being cheap.

If rookie pay scales don't make sense to you, then you should be applauding the Pats and encouraging other teams to do the same. If you like the idea of Vernon Davis being the highest paid TE in the history of the game the instant he signed his contract, then great, support rookie bonuses.

Rookie roster bonuses would let rookies get paid or not depending on their NFL ability, not their NCAA history.

End of rant :D

Going out on a limb - this contract "dispute" isn't going to diminish my enthousiasm for TC.

I am fine with smaller signing bonuses for rookies and bigger roster bonuses.

Explain why if a player is a bust and is useless to the team they should continue to pay him?

I've never understood this.

Veteran's signing bonuses are one thing. They have proven their ability.

But signing bonuses for rookies make no sense at all. Half the first rounders and most of the rest of the players never earn out.

The CAP limits the total money available to pay players.

Why does it make sense to pay proven payers less because you've used up part of your CAP giving signing bonuses to rookies who can't play in the NFL? Give them roster bonuses. If they are as good as they think they are, they will earn the roster bonus. If they suck and are cut, then the money can go to veterans who have paid their dues.

People complain that the rookie pay scales are ruinng the game (rookie QBs making more than Brady, Manning etc), yet when a team tries to get creative to alleviate that problem, they trash the team for being cheap.

If rookie pay scales don't make sense to you, then you should be applauding the Pats and encouraging other teams to do the same. If you like the idea of Vernon Davis being the highest paid TE in the history of the game the instant he signed his contract, then great, support rookie bonuses.

Rookie roster bonuses would let rookies get paid or not depending on their NFL ability, not their NCAA history.

End of rant :D

In the real world, wanted people get bonuses, bigger paychecks and more perks. It's not just sports.

Deep snappers are among the lowest paid players on a team.

Lonnie Paxton left because he got a much better deal from Denver.

If the Patriots did not want to pay a 2009 bonus to a deep snapper,

they simply should not have drafted one. Pay for draftees is pre-determined.

Ingram should be receiving a salary and associated bonus less than

the 197th pick but more than the 199th pick. The Patriots want to

change the rules to little or no bonus if you don't make the team. No

sensible agent or player would go along with this.

Agreed. He's looking at getting a bonus of about $97K since the guy picked at 194 Gibson got $100K for a 4 yr deal and the guy selected at #100 by the Giants Wright got $93K.....

Going out on a limb - this contract "dispute" isn't going to diminish my enthousiasm for TC.

This dispute will be resolved before training camp because a 6th round

draft pick cannot afford not to show up even though the Patriots are

dead wrong in this situation.

Boy, I *REALLY* hope this gets ironed out... I've been out of work since February... and every day since late April- the thought of a training camp battle between the possible long snappers has helped me maintain a positive outlook on the world. And now THIS has to happen... :mad:

:D ;)

Boy, I *REALLY* hope this gets ironed out... I've been out of work since February... and every day since late April- the thought of a training camp battle between the possible long snappers has helped me maintain a positive outlook on the world. And now THIS has to happen... :mad:

:D ;)
:rofl::rofl:

Hang in there buddy. I've been off more than on work since graduating in August. The long snapper controversy is nigh, but this holdout could be dramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News