PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Price: Excellent McCourty article

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize that zone can be more difficult than man-to-man. It is far more celebral. It is more difficult to learn. Zones can change based on the offensive formation. Players need to be aware as receivers enter and exit their zone meaning they need to be well aware of their responsibility at all times because it can change multiple times during a play. Man-to-man is more physical, but from a mental standpoint is far easier since you just stay with your man.

He shutdown Megatron when he covered him which is a lot. McCourty is the LCB and the LCB takes on the primary WR a majority of the time whether they play zone or man. Just because McCourty was only thrown on 3 times with Megatron, doesn't mean that he didn't shut him down most of the game because we don't know how many times he was Hill's first or second read and checked off of him because McCourty had him covered.

Yes, McCourty was a shutdown CB on Thursday. Yes, he did shutdown Megatron when he covered him. Percentage-wise, he probably only covered him 10-20% less than Revis did in terms of the total Lions' offense.

now you're pulling stuff out of your ass.

im done talking to homer brick walls, i'll you guys *********** in peace.

You are having an argument with yourself man. We are just trying to have a conversation about our first round rookie CB and you feel the need to tell us how much better Revis is. We understand Revis is the best CB in the league. I still have no idea what the point is that you are trying to make. Please tell me!

Revis lined up against calvin johnson in man coverage on every single play. he held him to 1 catch for 13 yards.

McCourty had a great game, but he didn't shut down calvin johnson. He wasn't asked too. He was asked to cover one side of the field in zone coverage. Johnson was double teamed all day.

So eventhough Johnson caught one ball and McCourty probably lined up opposite him 80-90% of the time, Megatron smoked McCourty all day? Good to know that everyone's eyes and the stats got it wrong. He shutdown Megatron when he was covering him which most of the day.

As for being double teamed all game, that is a hyperbole if ever I saw one. Yes, there was a lot of over the top coverage, but Revis gets a lot of that too eventhough Jets fans refuse to admit that. But an actual double team were not happening nearly as much as you say. McCourty was all by himself on the pick. Sanders rolled over the top towards the end of the play, but he wasn't there until after the pick. You can see for yourself on the video below:

NFL Videos: McCourty picks off Hill

Revis lined up against calvin johnson in man coverage on every single play. he held him to 1 catch for 13 yards.

McCourty had a great game, but he didn't shut down calvin johnson. He wasn't asked too. He was asked to cover one side of the field in zone coverage. Johnson was double teamed all day.

Just the fact that we can have this argument makes me feel even better about McCourty. We are sitting here arguing about how a young rookie CB and the "Best shut-down" CB in the NFL defended one of the league's best WRs. Doesnt that alone say something?

I never claimed other wise. You can say that McCourty had an excellent game, but he didn't "shut down" megatron. Just like Revis didn't "shut down" jennings even though he only allowed 1 catch all game because he wasn't lined up against him exclusivley.

McCourty plays in a conservative zone scheme that doesn't leave their DBs exposed. He's done very well in his role, but he hasn't been a shut down corner. Seriously, please.

Please spare us that conservative zone scheme crap. You are talking out of your ass.

Yes he did shut down "Megatron." The TD Johnson got, he got when Arrington was covering him.

On the interception against Johnson, McCourty WAS in press coverage on Johnson.

NFL Game Center: New England Patriots at Detroit Lions - 2010 Week 12

Translation: I got no response.

Here is a little lesson for you. Most primary WRs line up to the QB's right probably 80-90% of the time in any given game. Some games it may be less or some teams it may be less. It happens because most QBs are right handed and it makes it easier for them to pass to them down the field and make a quick read.

Last edited:
Revis was thrown to more than any cb in the leauge last year.

Well, if that is true then maybe he is just a media darling:

categorystats

* By Player Category
* By Player Position
* By Team Category

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 next
Interceptions Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
Rk Player Team Pos Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int TDs Yds Lng FF Rec TD
1 Jairus Byrd BUF FS 45 33 12 0.0 -- 20 9 0 118 37 0 -- --
1 Asante Samuel PHI CB 40 39 1 0.0 -- 25 9 0 117 37 1 1 0
1 Darren Sharper NO FS 71 51 20 0.5 0 24 9 3 376 99T 0 -- --
1 Charles Woodson GB CB 74 66 8 2.0 0 27 9 3 179 45T 4 1 0
5 Zack Bowman CHI CB 66 59 7 0.0 -- 16 6 0 67 39 1 -- --
5 Nick Collins GB FS 53 44 9 1.0 -- 19 6 0 110 31 0 2 0
5 Brent Grimes ATL CB 66 62 4 0.0 -- 19 6 0 17 11 0 1 0
5 Leon Hall CIN CB 71 58 13 0.0 -- 30 6 0 47 26 2 -- --
5 Johnathan Joseph CIN CB 69 58 11 0.0 0 26 6 1 92 32 1 -- --
5 Darrelle Revis NYJ CB 54 47 7 0.0 0 37 6 1 121 67T 0 -- --
5 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie ARI CB 50 48 2 0.0 0 31 6 1 77 49T 3 -- --
12 Leigh Bodden NE CB 55 47 8 0.0 0 23 5 1 60 53T 1 1 0

Aplogies: If I knew how to insert code you'd be able to read this.
Bottom Line=Revis is tied for 5th in the league for 2009 with 7 other players. All of whom I would assume had less passes thrown against them if you are telling the truth.

Last edited:

Unlike you, he's backing up his arguments with facts and videos. No need to resort to juvenile attacks when you're on the losing end.

Will someone please enlighten me as to what he is even arguing? Nobody claimed McCourty was better than Revis or would become better than Revis. Does he just want to disparage our guy because he's a Patriot?

Last edited:
That's exactly what you've been doing during this entire thread that you derailed.

The people here are "homer brick walls", but you and your friends at JI are not?

Perhaps you'll be more comfortable doing what you described over there.

Pot, meet kettle.

See ya'

Will someone please enlighten me as to what he is even arguing? Nobody claimed McCourty was better than Revis or would become better than Revis. Does he just want to disparage our guy because he's a Patriot?

Chupa is just one of those Jets fans who refuses to give the Pats any credit. I had a similiar argument with him on Jetinsider.com. He thinks McCourty isn't that good. He thinks Mayo sucks. He refuses to give anyone on the Pats' defense any credit.

Of course Revis is better than McCourty right now. Two years from now, he may not be or margin could be even greater.

The fact of the matter is McCourty shutdown Johnson when he covered him and he covered him a lot during the game. To say otherwise is ignorant of the facts.

Besides if we are going to compare McCourty to other CBs, we should be comparing McCourty to his contemporaries like Joe Haden and Kyle Wilson and whover was drafted at CB this year. I think McCourty has all of them beat by a decent margin.

That's exactly what you've been doing during this entire thread that you derailed.

The people here are "homer brick walls", but you and your friends at JI are not?

Perhaps you'll be more comfortable doing what you described over there.

Pot, meet kettle.

See ya'

My God, there are some insufferable homers over there. RayRay (he posts Jets19 or something like that on this board) is still convinced the Pats are really a 6-10 team that lucked into 9-2. There are other homers just as bad over there like sg3 and hitsomebody (who resorts to calling Pats fans homophobic slurs when he can't win arguments).

BTW, I don't agree with chupa getting banned. He is a Jets homer, but he hasn't done any worse than what some Pats fans do on this board.

My God, there are some insufferable homers over there. RayRay (he posts Jets19 or something like that on this board) is still convinced the Pats are really a 6-10 team that lucked into 9-2. There are other homers just as bad over there like sg3 and hitsomebody (who resorts to calling Pats fans homophobic slurs when he can't win arguments).

To be honest JI is sucking because they're either super negative or super homery. I've resorted to coming here to talk actual football.

Nice to see the numbers... I thought he was pretty special but now know it.

This defense is not as bad as everyone is saying they are.. And remember we lost ty warren and leigh bodden ..

BTW, I don't agree with chupa getting banned. He is a Jets homer, but he hasn't done any worse than what some Pats fans do on this board.
Judgement call, what else can I say. I can understand your point of view. I just didn't foresee anything worthwhile coming from him in my crystal ball. I guess I have a much lower tolerance for comments from new forum members who are argumentative and hijack threads than ones that have been around for awhile.

If Ian or any of the other more veteran mods think I was wrong, they have the green light to reverse the ban.

Judgement call, what else can I say. I can understand your point of view. I just didn't foresee anything worthwhile coming from him in my crystal ball. I guess I have a much lower tolerance for comments from new forum members who are argumentative and hijack threads than ones that have been around for awhile.

If Ian or any of the other more veteran mods think I was wrong, they have the green light to reverse the ban.

Ian has trusted you with the moderator position. Which means your judgement is more valid than mine on this board when it come to pthread hijacking and newbies not knowing their place. So I will defer to your judgement.

It is my own personal opinion that if someone is not being abusive with name calling (and the homer moniker is thrown around so much on this board that it really has no real meaning anymore) that you shouldn't get banned. The *********** comment cross the line a bit though.

I don't want to hijack this thread any further and make it about Chupa's ban. It ain't my call and you moderators have a thankless task on this board trying to maintain order (which I thank you for along with your dilligent work compiling interesting articles throughout the web for us). Again I will defer to your judgement now that I have said my peace.

I like how that guy was trying to knock McCourty for playing zone and not following Johnson around on every play when Revis didn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back