PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Price: Excellent McCourty article

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how that guy was trying to knock McCourty for playing zone and not following Johnson around on every play when Revis didn't either.

I think if I remember correctly (haven't watched every Jets game from start to end), the first time Revis has followed the primary WR on every play was TO this past Thursday. I was pretty sure Revis didn't follow Megatron all game. You provided proof. Thanks.

BTW, I don't agree with chupa getting banned. He is a Jets homer, but he hasn't done any worse than what some Pats fans do on this board.

I actually endorse the ban. Either one comes here to discuss football or not- there shouldn't be any toleration for name-calling or denigrating comments (e.g., the ***********) which ensues when there is a lack of football knowledge or the poster knows he is wrong.

I actually endorse the ban. Either one comes here to discuss football or not- there shouldn't be any toleration for name-calling or denigrating comments (e.g., the ***********) which ensues when there is a lack of football knowledge or the poster knows he is wrong.

My only problem with that if we hold the rest of the board to these standards, most of us would be banned. Seriously, when was the last time I borught anything to the table other than name-calling and denigrating comments? And we all know I lack football knowledge and I cover it up with BS. If I was held to the same standard as some of these Jets fans, I would have been banned circa 2007. :D

Revis didn't "struggle" his rookie year. He was incredibly solid and consistent, he was the teams #1 corner from week 1 even though he missed most of training camp. In his second year he was already the teams best player, he was an under the radar name, but those who watched the team closely knew he was a top 5 CB at that time.

Saying that McCourty is a more advanced "career" path than Revis is ridiculous. You can't assume that players will improve exponentially every year.

hell, the pats, perhaps more than any other team, have seen young players make immediate impacts only to fizzle off/reach their peak early. Mayo and Merriweather are perfect examples of this.

Right...Mayo has fizzled. Leading the league in tackles last I checked. I'll take players that fizzle like that all day!

My only problem with that if we hold the rest of the board to these standards, most of us would be banned. Seriously, when was the last time I borught anything to the table other than name-calling and denigrating comments? And we all know I lack football knowledge and I cover it up with BS. If I was held to the same standard as some of these Jets fans, I would have been banned circa 2007. :D

More people might get banned- however, if we let it persist, then even more people are driven away, such as was the case in the game-day threads.

One the one hand, you want this to be an open forum that is welcoming, but in order to keep it welcoming, the atmosphere has to be genial and informative, since people come here to learn more football.

Revis didn't "struggle" his rookie year. He was incredibly solid and consistent, he was the teams #1 corner from week 1 even though he missed most of training camp. In his second year he was already the teams best player, he was an under the radar name, but those who watched the team closely knew he was a top 5 CB at that time.

Saying that McCourty is a more advanced "career" path than Revis is ridiculous. You can't assume that players will improve exponentially every year.

hell, the pats, perhaps more than any other team, have seen young players make immediate impacts only to fizzle off/reach their peak early. Mayo and Merriweather are perfect examples of this.

McCourty is already rated as the #10 corner in the NFL by the expert they talked to in the article. And his rookie season isn't over yet. So yeah, I'd say there's still some upward trajectory on McCourty. Mayo's leading the league in tackles this season. Peaked early? I think it's time to take off the green goggles and just admit that the Pats have some very promising players on defense. McCourty is clearly > Wilson. But the Jets were the ones who decided to draft a slot corner with a #1 pick, so you get what you pay for. Revis was clearly a good pick. Wilson, not so much. :D

Last edited:
More people might get banned- however, if we let it persist, then even more people are driven away, such as was the case in the game-day threads.

One the one hand, you want this to be an open forum that is welcoming, but in order to keep it welcoming, the atmosphere has to be genial and informative, since people come here to learn more football.

Those things are insufferable. Its like a magnet for the chicken littles. Some of the most ignorant comments I have ever read about football have been posted in those threads.

Those things are insufferable. Its like a magnet for the chicken littles. Some of the most ignorant comments I have ever read about football have been posted in those threads.

yeah i don't know about all the banning stuff. but i will say i have stopped going to gameday threads recently... even if we are winning there's always the D to complain about

Rookie seasons

Darelle Revis (2007) 16 (16) games started 74 tackles 14 assisted 17 pdef 3 int 20 yards 19 long 1 ffum
Devin McCourty (2010) 11 (11) games started 52 tackles 9 assisted 12 pdef 5 int 110 yards 50 long 0 ffum

You can argue that McCourty's 2010 through 11 games destroys Revis' rookie season (the Jets were 4-12). You can make the argument that it even destroys Revis' 2008.

I'm more than pleased with McCourty's progress. If he can replicate any of the form Revis showed in 2009 then we're in for one hell of a corner.

Last edited:
McCourty plays in a very safe zone scheme and alghough he is the #1 corner, he plays in the 31st ranked secondary in the league.

No wonder the Jets don't have a clue. They don't realize that, this year, the Pats have played as much man coverage as they have zone. And that McCourtey has been on the line, jamming receivers since about mid October.

The quote was, McCourty "shut down megatron". NO HE didn't.

And playing zone with double coverage is different than playing man, whether you only cover one side of the field or not.

McCourtey was playing MAN against Megatron. That's how McCourey got his interception. And Yes, McCourtey DID shut down Johnson. It's why the Lions moved him to the other side of the field.

McCourtey was playing MAN against Megatron. That's how McCourey got his interception. And Yes, McCourtey DID shut down Johnson. It's why the Lions moved him to the other side of the field.
I'm curious as to why you spell McCourty's surname McCourtey? If it's an African-American-Mexican thing wouldn't it be McCourtay ixnay hombre? ;)

Last edited:
Devin McCourty of the New England Patriots has big-time ability - ESPN

Yeah McCourty isn't any good ;)

The first-round selection (27th overall) entered the league with a reputation as an elite special teams player but has quickly developed into an excellent cornerback. The former Rutgers star is very physical with good size and strength. McCourty isn't afraid to mix it up with bigger wideouts or come up to stop the run. He also can play off coverage, zone or man-to-man. And the best is yet to come. New England really will have something at cornerback next year when they match McCourty with the expected return of injured Leigh Bodden.

McCourty was one of the best players on the field on Thanksgiving. He is a cornerstone of the Patriots' very young, improving defense.

Rookie seasons

Darelle Revis (2007) 16 (16) games started 74 tackles 14 assisted 17 pdef 3 int 20 yards 19 long 1 ffum
Devin McCourty (2010) 11 (11) games started 52 tackles 9 assisted 12 pdef 5 int 110 yards 50 long 0 ffum

You can argue that McCourty's 2010 through 11 games destroys Revis' rookie season (the Jets were 4-12). You can make the argument that it even destroys Revis' 2008.

I'm more than pleased with McCourty's progress. If he can replicate any of the form Revis showed in 2009 then we're in for one hell of a corner.

The best CBs have very little stats because QBs don't throw their way. I like McCourty's picks a lot, because it shows hes going to do something if the other teams challenge him. But I wouldn't cry if he had 0 ints his 2nd season.

The best CBs have very little stats because QBs don't throw their way. I like McCourty's picks a lot, because it shows hes going to do something if the other teams challenge him. But I wouldn't cry if he had 0 ints his 2nd season.
I'm sure someone with access to target metrics could add them in as they please. I wouldn't know where to find them.

Interesting article. I am concerned about McCourty hitting the rookie wall though. He's played every single defensive snap except for one so far, and also plays on special teams. He's also such an integral part of our secondary that I worry about him.

He's been amazing so far though. I think it's way too early to make the Revis comparison. Revis was good his rookie season, but he continued to improve year after year to get to where he is. McCourty seems similar (I don't know if I buy that PFF argument that he's ahead of him), but he needs to continue to work hard and improve over the next few years before we can start to make that comparison. But I'm very encouraged so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back