PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict Pats biggest FA signing 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, and only ONE WR (Lloyd). I don't think BB would think twice about dumping/replacing him if he weren't worth the salary. I like Kyle Love, but am just wondering if the handwriting may be on the wall.

Just because there are few players currently under contract at a position doesn't mean those few cannot be upgraded or their salaries allocated somewhere else.
Kyle Love is currently banged up.

Belichick dials it back at practice - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

The next one

jk, hopefully Reed.

if his reduced playing time is truly injury-related, then he can go ahead buying the green bananas again...

I think its a combination of health and the fact they want more of a penetrating DT next to Wilfork which Deaderick seems to be adding. I'm not sure if Deaderick can continue to develop into a starter he is inconsistent sometimes he looks like Marcell Dareus other times he looks he should be on the practice squad.

I do believe Love will be back next year because he is a very good DT and would actually make the perfect 3rd DT if we could get a stud next to Wilfork either in the draft or FA.

Arthur Jones is a RFA maybe we can pair up the Jones brothers

LDT - A Jones
NT - Wilfork
DE - C Jones

Tim Tebow because we need a full back.

Arthur Jones is a RFA maybe we can pair up the Jones brothers

LDT - A Jones
NT - Wilfork
DE - C Jones

Smokes, my imagination is running wild with this possibility!! :singing:

You are not taking into account the following salary cap issues for the 2013 NFL Season:

Injured Reserve: $6.9 million (2012 total to date)
PUP: $1.1 million (2012 total to date)
Practice Squad: 17 weeks X $6000/week X 8 = $816,000

New England Patriots Salary Cap 2012

Prior to the commencement of the 2012 NFL Season, the injured reserve total was approximately $4.575 million.

Does that get paid out for the 2012 salary cap or the 2013 cap?

Also i think money can be easily saved through players like:

Larsen, Spencer LB $750,000
Fells, Daniel TE $991,166

Not to mention the 2-3 other players that could be cut due to the rookie pool coming in. So it's not like the Rookie pool is just tacked on it means for those 3-6 picks that's 3-6 vets that might not have a spot on the roster. saving 2+ mil.

Also you have to take into account what will happen with the Fanene hearing which could save the Pats up to $4mil.

It hard to project all these hypothetical situations but if the Fanene case turns out to be in the pats favor we add 5 rookies to the 53 and lose 5 vets all between 450k and 900k that should leave us with "in theory"

Tentative Cap $121
Cap Spent $104.4M
Carry forward $6.7 M
Cut Fells $1M
Fanene $ 4 M
Cut 5 $2.5 M
Room: $30.8 M

Expenses:
Rookies $3.5M

Room: $26.3
Re-signings A:
Welker $8M
Talib $5.5M
Vollmer $6.5M

Cap Room Left: $6.3

Re-signings B:
Woodhead $ 1,125,000(pay raise)
Edelman $ 1,125,000
Hoomanawanui (RFA) $1.323 million
Fletcher (RFA) $1.323 million
White $990,000
Thomas $990,000
Cole $655,000
Ballard (RFA) $1.323 million
Total: $8.854M

Total = -$2,553M

Even if we carry forward money and get a good result from our Fanene hearing. It will be hard for us to resign all of our own FA's.

Will be interesting to see how the pats attack this off-season and who they prioritize. I do find the fan in me worrying that the injury history of Vollmer and the recent contract history with Welker could see them not back next year.

Last edited:
Does that get paid out for the 2012 salary cap or the 2013 cap?

Also i think money can be easily saved through players like:

Larsen, Spencer LB $750,000
Fells, Daniel TE $991,166

Not to mention the 2-3 other players that could be cut due to the rookie pool coming in. So it's not like the Rookie pool is just tacked on it means for those 3-6 picks that's 3-6 vets that might not have a spot on the roster. saving 2+ mil.

Also you have to take into account what will happen with the Fanene hearing which could save the Pats up to $4mil.

It hard to project all these hypothetical situations but if the Fanene case turns out to be in the pats favor we add 5 rookies to the 53 and lose 5 vets all between 450k and 900k that should leave us with "in theory"

Tentative Cap $121
Cap Spent $104.4M
Carry forward $6.7 M
Cut Fells $1M
Fanene $ 4 M
Cut 5 $2.5 M
Room: $30.8 M

Expenses:
Rookies $3.5M

Room: $26.3
Re-signings A:
Welker $8M
Talib $5.5M
Vollmer $6.5M

Cap Room Left: $6.3

Re-signings B:
Woodhead $ 1,125,000(pay raise)
Edelman $ 1,125,000
Hoomanawanui (RFA) $1.323 million
Fletcher (RFA) $1.323 million
White $990,000
Thomas $990,000
Cole $655,000
Ballard (RFA) $1.323 million
Total: $8.854M

Total = -$2,553M

Even if we carry forward money and get a good result from our Fanene hearing. It will be hard for us to resign all of our own FA's.

Will be interesting to see how the pats attack this off-season and who they prioritize. I do find the fan in me worrying that the injury history of Vollmer and the recent contract history with Welker could see them not back next year.

That's an interesting starting point of what an extremely optimistic scenario would get us. I'm no capologist, but I think your numbers are very much rose-tinted, and even then it's going to be tight. You also left out Arrington, who could still be of interest at the right price, in the right role.

There are a number of other places that I think that some money may be freed up:

1. Gostkowski. $3.4M cap hit in 2013, $3.8M in 2014. Sorry, but he's just not worth it. Cutting him would save around $1.8M this year and $3M next. There are good rookie UDFA kickers to be found. The team may ask him to take a pay cut or be released.

2. Gregory. I'm not sure how this would be done, but he has a $3M cap hit both this year and next, and I don't see him being worth it. Cutting him only saves $0.5K this year, but $2.35M in 2014, for a net cap savings of almost $3M over 2 years. I'm not sure what the incentive would be for him to restructure, but it's something I could see the team exploring. He's only 29 and a solid role player - I have no problem with him, just with the size of his contract relative to his value.

3. Extending/restructuring Brady and Wilfork. Both should be playing at a high level beyond the end of their current contracts, and both are foundational players and team leaders.

It will be interesting to see how creative the Pats are in the offseason.

As for all the wonderful external FAs mentioned in this thread, I can't see how the Pats are going to possibly afford any of them, unless they do some major restructuring, or they lose some major pieces from the current team. Welker, Talib and Vollmer are the top priorities, followed by Woodhead, and Edelman and then Thomas, Fletcher, Arrington, Cole, White, Hoomanawanui and Ballard. I just can't see how a Percy Harvin, Ed Reed (he'll be overpriced and at 35 he's likely to hit a wall) or anyone else would be squeezed in.

Seymour - there you go!. i said it.
He is UFA and also put him as a interior pass rusher next to vince and jones.
then you have 3 guys giving OL`s fits.

As a DT he left pats and had 6 sacks last 2 yr in a row which is real good for a DT. If he can give us 6 sacks from DT position it will be awesome

Figured I'd bury this here rather than in it's own thread so as to cause less upsets...

4 years and $40M in salary and bonus with a dead cap of $5M+ to go... He couldn't have helped enough in 2009-10 to justify his cost given the issues and makeup of those teams. And he couldn't have helped enough in 2011 or 2012 given his own. And he won't be coming back because he will still be looking for a team to pay him based on talent and not performance. Which is why he couldn't change the culture in Oakland. While in the interim we netted a franchise LT/RT for at least 5 seasons at value+ cost...

Revisiting the Seymour trade - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Was Richard Seymour era a success? - AFC West Blog - ESPN

Figured I'd bury this here rather than in it's own thread so as to cause less upsets...

4 years and $40M in salary and bonus with a dead cap of $5M+ to go... He couldn't have helped enough in 2009-10 to justify his cost given the issues and makeup of those teams. And he couldn't have helped enough in 2011 or 2012 given his own. And he won't be coming back because he will still be looking for a team to pay him based on talent and not performance. Which is why he couldn't change the culture in Oakland. While in the interim we netted a franchise LT/RT for at least 5 seasons at value+ cost...

For all his greatness - and I'm not questioning what Seymour brought to the Pats from 2001-2008 - does anyone really doubt that the Pats made the right choice between Wilfork and Seymour, given that they could probably only afford to keep one?

I believe the Patriots had 25 days after cutting him to file an injury grievance over Fanene. Never heard a word. And surely we would have if they did. He may have time to file against them yet if they fail to pay the deferred portion of his signing bonus when it comes due. The Colts filed a similar grievance over a FA signing in 2006. Signed Corey Simon after the Eagles rescinded his tag over concerns with his weight and motivation. I think Simon played in 3 games in two seasons and Polian lost $13M in the process which they never recovered. Claimed his 2007 diagnosis of an immume mediated arthritis during training camp was pre existing...

I think his signing was one of many mistakes made last season that were the result of the FO and medical staff not doing their jobs particularly well. I think the bluster about the disclosure forms was just ownership covering up for an embarassing failure of the organization to perform due diligence in their haste to plug some gaps. The Kraft's don't like it when something backfires and makes them look foolish.

I've asked a couple of mediots about the situation and gotten no response. I'm going to try Brandt as he would be all over an issue like this if there was anything going on.

I believe the Patriots had 25 days after cutting him to file an injury grievance over Fanene. Never heard a word. And surely we would have if they did. He may have time to file against them yet if they fail to pay the deferred portion of his signing bonus when it comes due. The Colts filed a similar grievance over a FA signing in 2006. Signed Corey Simon after the Eagles rescinded his tag over concerns with his weight and motivation. I think Simon played in 3 games in two seasons and Polian lost $13M in the process which they never recovered. Claimed his 2007 diagnosis of an immume mediated arthritis during training camp was pre existing...

I think his signing was one of many mistakes made last season that were the result of the FO and medical staff not doing their jobs particularly well. I think the bluster about the disclosure forms was just ownership covering up for an embarassing failure of the organization to perform due diligence in their haste to plug some gaps. The Kraft's don't like it when something backfires and makes them look foolish.

I've asked a couple of mediots about the situation and gotten no response. I'm going to try Brandt as he would be all over an issue like this if there was anything going on.

That's probably correct. I think that when the Red Bryant deal fell through they rushed into Fanene without doing due diligence. Regardless, I've always considered it an extreme long shot that the Pats get any relief from that mistake. I'm not counting on a dime of that dead money until I see something announced.

Of course he could have helped. Claiming otherwise is just insane.

For all his greatness - and I'm not questioning what Seymour brought to the Pats from 2001-2008 - does anyone really doubt that the Pats made the right choice between Wilfork and Seymour, given that they could probably only afford to keep one?

you're assuming it had to be a choice.

the only fact that exists is that the pats defense has gone to crap since going away from the traditional 3-4 the pats deployed until 2010

now whether keeping seymour would have changed things is not clear, but he would also have been a beast had the pats gone to the 4-3 sooner as an interior DL.

was it a good trade? probably

I was driving to DC last week and while going thru Baltimore, I listened to their local sports talk radio show.
The consensus was that no one expects Reed to come back unless its for a "hometown discount" According to both the hosts and callers, his play has slackened off n he will not be worth the $$ he'll b asking

I wonder what it would take to get Larry Fitzgerald. He isn't an FA, but would the Pats #1, #2 and Ryan Mallett do the trick? Might take more than that, but I don't want to see the Pats trading away more future picks.

you're assuming it had to be a choice.

the only fact that exists is that the pats defense has gone to crap since going away from the traditional 3-4 the pats deployed until 2010

now whether keeping seymour would have changed things is not clear, but he would also have been a beast had the pats gone to the 4-3 sooner as an interior DL.

was it a good trade? probably

The D was awful in 2009 and 2010.

I wonder what it would take to get Larry Fitzgerald. He isn't an FA, but would the Pats #1, #2 and Ryan Mallett do the trick? Might take more than that, but I don't want to see the Pats trading away more future picks.

If I were going to make a trade like that, I'd rather go after Calais Campbell.

The D was awful in 2009 and 2010.

Yes, but it's even worse after the transition to a 4-3 defense in '11. This defense has regressed very quickly in the past 2 years. Look at the defensive ranks in the Belichick era:

Code:
[B]Season      Pts    TotYds     PassYds      RushYds[/B]
2001        6        24         24           19
2002        17       23         11           31
2003        1        7          15           4
2004        2        9          17           6
2005        17       26         31           8
2006        2        6          12           5
2007        4        4          6            10
2008        8        10         11           15
2009        5        11         12           13
2010        8        25         30           11
2011        15       31         31           17
2012        17       27         29           12

I'm not sure if the reason is the DC or lack of talent, but this defense looks very poor to what we had with Pees and Crennel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore