Welcome to PatsFans.com

Predict Pats biggest FA signing 2013

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by 1%er, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1%er

1%er Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

2. manxman2601

manxman2601 Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
  3. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Maybe, though it depends how much he wants. His play seems to have tailed off quite a bit this year, as has the Ravens' defense. Kenny Phillips would be a nice option at safety, and a better long term option, though there's no doubt Reed would be a nice short term pick up.
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
  5. patfanken

patfanken Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#91 Jersey
    I don't know, K. I don't think the Pats will want to pay him what he wants, and I don't think he'll come here for just a few million. Don't forget that the last player that BB had the big bromance with, Jason Taylor, never signed here, and I think the reason he didn't was all about the money.
  6. satz

satz Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Seymour - there you go!. i said it.
    He is UFA and also put him as a interior pass rusher next to vince and jones.
    then you have 3 guys giving OL`s fits.

As a DT he left pats and had 6 sacks last 2 yr in a row which is real good for a DT. If he can give us 6 sacks from DT position it will be awesome
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  7. resdubwhite

resdubwhite Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    don't see a big money signing to be honest. Too many of our own to keep.
  8. dales804

dales804 Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
  9. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

10. resdubwhite

resdubwhite Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    And lets not forget the Wood.

We need the Woodhead.
  11. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Does Wes Welker count?
  12. I Augustus

I Augustus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

On the 7th day of 2013 Free Agency New England Patriots will sign never-heard - about - him TE who happens to be a ST demon.
  13. LloydBraun

LloydBraun Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

With $35 mill in cap space, it could be a huge offseason. I think, correct me if not, they have $20 in cap now with $14-15 carried fwd fr this yr.

I see Harvin, Reed or Goldson and Randy Starks. Welker stays, but a team gives Vollmer a oat load. Unless Welker signs and Seasbass is franchised.
  14. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'd go with Ed Reed.
  15. Big-T

Big-T Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
    Jason has the Patriots currently able to carry forward $6.7m and 16m under the cap for next year without that, so factoring in 5m for rookies the Patriots have $19.7m.

Brady has a cap hit of £21.8m though which can be lowered with an extension or another restructure.

Next years cap numbers: New England Patriots Salary Cap 2013

Not a lot of money to play with once you add in Welker, Vollmer, Talib, Woodhead & Edelman needing new contracts.
  16. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Jason has us with 17m in space and about 6m to carry forward. Minus whatever bonuses we have to pay out. Not as much as you think if you'd like to keep; Welker, Vollmer and Talib. I do. And, pay your draft picks.

I actually think the invisible Shane Vereen could replace Woodhead. He can go out for a pass and nobody would see him except Brady and Bart Scott. And, Bart can't catch him.

New England Patriots Salary Cap 2013
  17. resdubwhite

resdubwhite Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    I thought those figures were 16/17 free and at most 6 carrying over.
  18. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    He would be well worth it (after signing Welker, of course). He's an instantaneous upgrade over anything else we have available in the defensive backfield. And, at his age, I don't see him costing as much as some people on here believe.
  19. patfanken

patfanken Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#91 Jersey
    The Bottom line on the cap is that the Pats are in good, but not great cap shape. They have enough to sign most of their own FA's, their draft picks, and a middle of the road FA ($3-5MM/) without having to resort to artificial devises like restructures and extensions. Though a Brady extension would certainly add some more flexibility.
  20. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Reed is still great buddies with Ray Lewis. He won't come here as long as Lewis is still playing for the Ravens.
  21. JMC00

JMC00 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yep. What was that stat he is the only player with at-least 4 rushing TD and 3 receiving TD this season.

He has come in and really taken over that Kevin Faulk role.

loljests
  22. resdubwhite

resdubwhite Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    Just wondering what you think that would be?

I'm guessing he's going to be looking for 40 over 5.

Is that too much for him and will the team baulk at that demand?

It seems that getting a player like that for a 4th and getting a comp 3rd if he's let go maybe where the team is heading.
  23. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    I don't think he's a free agent, but the big signing via trade or FA is QB Alex Smith of the 49ers. I believe he has a cap friendly buyout option this year held by the 49ers, but I don't fully comprehend the implications for the team that picks him up.

He's seasoned, has spent time in West Coast offense and would be looking for stability somewhere. The Patriots are the very definition of stability and need a back-up who can take the reins immediately should Brady call it a day or get injured. He'll be 29 at the start of the 2013 training camp.

The Pats have a slew of receivers and a running game that would take some of the pressure off of him being the only skill player in the locker room. There are awful teams that would love a player with his history, but the Patriots (or the Broncos) would be a better change of scenery for him.

He does not seem like a guy who would rock the boat - he's been an upstanding pro with the change in SF.
  24. Cassanova792

Cassanova792 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He is already unhappy when he lost his starting job to CK. What makes you think he will even remotely entertain the idea of riding the bench on the Patriots team. Besides that money could be used on something far more pressing like on defense or a WR.
  25. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    Talib Talib Talib!

Pats defense folds like a tent without him.
  26. BaltimorePatsFan

BaltimorePatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

In 2013 the Patriots will finally sign Adam Seward.
  27. Joey007

Joey007 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#95 Jersey
    I see us Tagging Talib, then giving Welker a big contract we've all been waiting for. Unfortunately, Vollmer will get big bucks.... elsewhere. Well, at least we have an amazing OL coach who can develop guys. Woodhead and Edelman will be brought back cheap, while Arrington and Chung will walk. But I don't care WHAT Talib does, he's gotta come back.

Now, as for FA signings..... since Welker's resigned we won't need to go after Harvin. I say we go after a young guy in the draft instead.

Otherwise, my guess is as good as anyone else's for who New England will sign.
  28. patfanken

patfanken Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#91 Jersey
    K, we are going to have to pay Talib 8-10/, Volmer 8-10/, Welker 8-10/ plus Woody, Thomas, Arrington, Coles and the rest....and now you want to pay ANOTHER 6-8MM for Reed? How soon before we become the Jets north

Here's the thing - The Jets have just 7 players who take up $80MM of cap space. Leaving $40MM for the other 46 players to divvy up. (IIRC those 7 are Sanchez, Revis, Cromartie, D'Brick, Mangold, Harris, and Holmes)....and that's assuming the lJets unload the contracts of Scott, Pace, Keller, Pouha, Greene, etc, some of whom will have dead money consequences, and all of whom will have to be replaced with vet minimum players. That's 13% of your roster taking 67% of your cap space, and all the extension and restructure flexibility has already been used)

Conversely the Pats would have 17 players before they get to that $80MM figure, and that figure would grow to over 20 after the Brady extension.

But you can see the problem the Pats are facing, and why it is likely that people will inevitably get mad when all the FA's aren't signed. Its almost impossible to sign them all.

As it is look at the reality. The Pats do as good a job as anyone in the league at spreading the wealth. But even THEY end up giving 67% of the wealth to only 32% of the roster. A lot better than the Jets, but that's still top heavy. And its only going to get worse going forward.

I guess you can make the "cap look like crap" for a couple of years, but eventually all the manipulation comes back to bite you in the ass. The Jets have been feeling the effects of their "all in" play for the last 2 years already, being very limited in their FA moves. Its only going to be worse this year, where it's unlikely they will be able to resign their top FA (Landry) to even a $5-6MM/deal Let alone facing the prospect of having to do THREE $8-10MM deals like the Pats are looking at. At least there is a possibility for us to manage this task. But only because we haven't signed "everyone" in the past.

Like the pebble in the pond, every signing has a ripple effect for good or bad. Teams are facing a finite budget every year, and no signing occurs in a vacuum.....though a lot of fans think they do....or at least they post like they do.
  29. BananaRepublican

BananaRepublican Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What scares me is what number is floating around in Ed's head, not our heads, not Bill's.

Another thing that scares me is his increasing fragility. What good is the smartest center fielder in the business if he's sitting on a sofa? Can you imagine them letting Wes (Mr. Durability) go in order to sign a guy that might get hurt in pre-season?

I love the pure football idea of Ed Reed but I think that it's a huge roll of the dice. Perhaps it's worth the roll. I always agree with Bill's decisions but I also realize that he has struck out badly on people like Ocho and that he tends to day-dream greatness that really isn't there at times.

If they sign Reed I'll be willing to see the possible glory, but I will have to admit to holding my breath at the same time.
  30. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    I agree the biggest FA signing this year should be WES!!!!!

As to the Reed signing I think a lot would come down to the Ravens plans moving forward with him and with Ray as I just dont see him leaving there unless he is forced to. Then comes the money I think he still would comand a decent amount of money but it would seem to be a very wise investment for this team and depending on exactly what Reed wants I think this could be fairly easy to agree on. When I say what Reed wants I mean does he want to break the bank again or does he want a ring because he was not on the 2000 Ravens team and has none. I think if the Ravens were to move on based on our need for Secondary help and based on him wanting a Ring I think it could be pretty easy and natural for both to come up with a deal that makes sense for both parties and BB has been courting him and kissing up to him for years. I find it hard not to get excited about this possibility.

Then you re-sign Talib and boom your secondary actually looks good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.