PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread - Lions @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think anyone who wants Mac to succeed would be disappointed if he started. He has already been set up to fail this year. Why not finish the sacrifice by rolling him out there on one ankle.

Having high hopes for Zappe doesn't equate to wanting Mac to fail.
How was he set up to fail? If you are implying they modified the offensive system and he had a learning curve or blaming coaches that is a weak excuse to make for him.

it seems BB mishandled the TE roster at cutdowns. Letting Asiasi get signed off PS was frustrating. Now we only have Sokol in the wings and a very invisible Henry. Which makes me think they'll keep Humphrey active to really serve as a light TE-type. I guess that's not bad, Lil'Jordan looked good in preseason, and has been as productive as any of the TE's so far. He's not a fast WR, but has the body to add some weight and catches the ball real well. Who knows.

How was he set up to fail? If you are implying they modified the offensive system and he had a learning curve or blaming coaches that is a weak excuse to make for him.

We can argue the percentages of the blame pie all day. And Mac deserves a healthy part of that blame. I will even concede a majority.

However, he showed too much promise in his rookie season for me to just conclude Mac sucks and he should shoulder full blame.

Questionable coaching is in that pie. Completely changing an offense after one season is not optimal, but it happens. Not running the passing offense thru 2 talented TE's and 2 talented RB's is ridiculous. Having a defensive coach going thru on the job training as OC during a young QB's most important development year is malpractice.

If Mac was truly great, maybe he would have overcome these obstacles. And his sophomore season isn't over, so maybe he still will overcome these obstacles.

But the question still lingers...why the fark are those obstacles there?

You only get one chance at a 2nd year leap. Not implying. They flat out set him up to fail. It remains to be seen if he is good enough to overcome it.

Anyone remember Mac's first start, he ran backwards as defenders converged on him and nearly threw the ball right at a defender on his first play.

I expect a rookie playing his first snaps to have first game jitters. The kid also looked really poised for a rookie QB playing in Lambeau against one of the best defenses in the league. Patricia didn't trust him to throw on the final two drives, they couldn't convert a first down running because Green Bay knew they wanted to run. Play action worked great to that point, he shouldn't have clenched up or called the game any differently.
Yea ha mac threw it backwards to jonnu while the pressure was converging. Could’ve been absolutely disastrous.

On one hand, zappe didn’t have any really stupid brain farts like that, and that was important. No stupid pick or anything.
On the other hand, I struggle to say he showed great composure in this game because his lack of composure was what did us in. He was unwilling to hang in the pocket and stick with his reads. By panicking and bailing so quickly, he made it so a few key pass plays never stood a chance.
Composure in some ways, but lack of composure in others

it seems BB mishandled the TE roster at cutdowns. Letting Asiasi get signed off PS was frustrating. Now we only have Sokol in the wings and a very invisible Henry. Which makes me think they'll keep Humphrey active to really serve as a light TE-type. I guess that's not bad, Lil'Jordan looked good in preseason, and has been as productive as any of the TE's so far. He's not a fast WR, but has the body to add some weight and catches the ball real well. Who knows.
I wouldn't say he mishandled the roster at only cutdowns.

He mishandled it on every level.

Asiasi and Keene were busts

Smith is proving to be a bad signing.

HH had a great year in 2021 and is now an afterthought in the gameplan.

Last edited:
We can argue the percentages of the blame pie all day. And Mac deserves a healthy part of that blame. I will even concede a majority.

However, he showed too much promise in his rookie season for me to just conclude Mac sucks and he should shoulder full blame.

Questionable coaching is in that pie. Completely changing an offense after one season is not optimal, but it happens. Not running the passing offense thru 2 talented TE's and 2 talented RB's is ridiculous. Having a defensive coach going thru on the job training as OC during a young QB's most important development year is malpractice.

If Mac was truly great, maybe he would have overcome these obstacles. And his sophomore season isn't over, so maybe he still will overcome these obstacles.

But the question still lingers...why the fark are those obstacles there?

You only get one chance at a 2nd year leap. Not implying. They flat out set him up to fail. It remains to be seen if he is good enough to overcome it.
OK even though you say Mac deserves a majority of the blame, your believe is the real reason for his failure is questionable coaching and misuse of personnel. I get the misuse of HH but Smith has proven nothing and the RBs get the ball a ton. Not sure what more they can do. Wynn hasn't done him any favors either.

Your 1st sentence was accurate. Way too much blame is put on the coaches. Players need to perform. Mac did not perform. Personally I think he was hurt before the ankle injury.

I'm shocked at the amount of supposed intelligent football fans that are so quick to say Mac is worthless and should be surpassed by Zappe. I mean, for all the reasons Dingleberry noted above, Mac has been put in a very difficult spot this season. It's way too early this season to call anything busted. We can't attack the coaches (non-OC) and bad offensive game planning on one hand, and then say Mac has regressed. It's illogical. Point is, Zappe may have talent or potential, but he is not near as ready to run this offense as well as Mac. I really hope he can pull it out today, especially against the Lions WORST Defense in the league. But I'll be thrilled when Mac comes back, and I expect the offense to start progressing exponentially when he does (building on what was a solid output vs. BAL save for a few dumb plays). Thornton, Meyers & Montgomery coming back in the next couple weeks should really help too.

One question going into today's game is: does Jack Jones, assuming Mills plays, ride the pine for being disrespected last week by Rodgers trying to throw an out against him?

Pats also have the intriguing(ly raw) recent pickup Scotty Washington (same height as Kyle Pitts), who was a WR and then gained 30lbs (incorrect weight on Pats' site) and has been a TE for the last couple of years.

I'm shocked at the amount of supposed intelligent football fans that are so quick to say Mac is worthless and should be surpassed by Zappe. I mean, for all the reasons Dingleberry noted above, Mac has been put in a very difficult spot this season. It's way too early this season to call anything busted. We can't attack the coaches (non-OC) and bad offensive game planning on one hand, and then say Mac has regressed. It's illogical. Point is, Zappe may have talent or potential, but he is not near as ready to run this offense as well as Mac. I really hope he can pull it out today, especially against the Lions WORST Defense in the league. But I'll be thrilled when Mac comes back, and I expect the offense to start progressing exponentially when he does (building on what was a solid output vs. BAL save for a few dumb plays). Thornton, Meyers & Montgomery coming back in the next couple weeks should really help too.
If fans were ready to dump the Goat for Matt Cassel then the shock of wanting Zappe for Jones shouldn't be that great....its surprising that its come after only one game though

That's correct. I admitted to criticizing his on field dramatics like taking a dive to garner a flag, being emotional on the sideline, dancing in the EZ, etc. That's not Patriot-like behavior. That has absolutely nothing to do with what you said, which is false:

Except, of course, for Brady. When he showed emotion anywhere, it was very Patriot-like.

I am excited to see Thornton play in person. I expect to see him play a few snaps...maybe on a reverse. The best would be to sub him in for Parker or Myers, give that cb a look at real speed after covering a slow guy
I feel like they'll use him in a few plays and one of them will be a reverse to get him in space and use his speed.

Go back and read my post again. Carefully. Not outright blaming coaching. Mac eats more of the blame pie.

Year 1 and 2 leap is vital for young QB. Putting unnecessary obstacles in the way of that development is dumb.

Asiasi gone, frustrating, NOT!

any win you can steal while starting your 3rd string rookie QB, would be great, but it’s a tough ask for the rookie.

im guessing the Lions are going to be ready for the Pats running game ( if they aren’t they should fire the coach), I’m guessing they will force Zappe to beat them.

Go back and read my post again. Carefully. Not outright blaming coaching. Mac eats more of the blame pie.

Year 1 and 2 leap is vital for young QB. Putting unnecessary obstacles in the way of that development is dumb.
I did. Whatever. You're a good poster but I don't see it the same way as you. Moving on.

any win you can steal while starting your 3rd string rookie QB, would be great, but it’s a tough ask for the rookie.

im guessing the Lions are going to be ready for the Pats running game ( if they aren’t they should fire the coach), I’m guessing they will force Zappe to beat them.

Your strategy makes sense but they'll need to commit considerable resources to slow down our rushing attack.

They have the worst run D is the league - worse than ours. If they want to put 8 in the box fine w me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back