PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-draft contacts (2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still early yet, but the Pats have shown interest in 10 RBs, 4 of whom are official visits -- more than any other position (so far) .

Ingram has been mocked to the Fins at #15 by all those living (and deceased), yet the Pats have shown zero (reported) interest in a player projected to go anywhere from 15 to 28 (their range of picks).

A) the Pats are unwilling to select their RB in round one -- so why bother with Ingram

B) the reports of interest just haven't been made known as yet

C) they're targeting another RB

D) they're targeting Ingram

Assuming some amount of disinformation/skullduggery contained in these visits and contacts (and lack of contacts), who might the Pats be trying to mislead about their intentions toward which RB? Aside from MIA and possibly Seattle, what other teams might be interested in an RB early enough to make a significant difference?

Assuming some amount of disinformation/skullduggery contained in these visits and contacts (and lack of contacts), who might the Pats be trying to mislead about their intentions toward which RB?

Most teams will have accurately mocked out each team's needs -- but not the targeted players. BB's smokescreens are designed to keep them far away from the actual targets. I'm sure he has specific teams in mind -- I haven't a clue.

I needed some intellectual stimulation and decided against the political forum. :D

I wouldn't read too much into these visits. The Pats will meet up with up to 200 players during this process and probably half of these won't even be reported, especially with the way the Pats run business. In the end I would be more suprised if they didn't meet with any of the players projected in the first 5 rounds that if they did. And when a player visits a team facility it generally means that a team needs more information on a player or they need to confirm something about a player. Especially when they have medical or character concerns. Just because they may not make an official visit to the team doesn't mean they are not interested, it may just mean they have completed their evaluation and don't require an additional information.

I wouldn't read too much into these visits. The Pats will meet up with up to 200 players during this process and probably half of these won't even be reported, especially with the way the Pats run business. In the end I would be more suprised if they didn't meet with any of the players projected in the first 5 rounds that if they did. And when a player visits a team facility it generally means that a team needs more information on a player or they need to confirm something about a player. Especially when they have medical or character concerns. Just because they may not make an official visit to the team doesn't mean they are not interested, it may just mean they have completed their evaluation and don't require an additional information.
With New England, the visits do serve a purpose, the Pats will likely have some of the higher ranked kids on their board in the mix, as we often figure out afterwards, the challenge is knowing which ones.
-- OL are perhaps less likely to be brought in unless there is a medical question, BB seems quite content to let Scar set them on the board as he sees fit.
-- With Scar putting on a show at BC's Pro-Day, and the visits of Ty Smith, Nate Solder, and Prince Amukamara, NE has now painted a picture of a team showing little interest in DL early. Not reaching an agreement with Light prior to the decertification is now more interesting. Does NE see one or more of these OTs as the new long term answer? Or are the OTs the smoke screen for the DL they haven't been flashing about? Most intriguing.
-- At this point, it seems almost certain NE will be looking at a RB in the second round, thought they may not yet be certain which of the four "visits" will be their preferred target. They all appear to be very similar RBs who can do a little of everything a RB is called upon to do - should be fun.
-- What is emerging for DL is an interest in late first through early third round projections: Marvin Austin, Muhammad Wilkerson, Kendrick Ellis, Allen Bailey, Terrell McClain, Adrian Clayborne have all been worked out privately, Jarvis Jenkins may also factor into this mix in time. I'll also add one other name whom I have as more of a second round grade, contrary to many draftniks, Cameron Jordan - I do not consider him another Tyson Alualu. Interestingly, Bailey, Jordan, and Clayborne are all smaller kids more suited to the edge or passing down roles, while Wilkerson, Austin, Ellis, McClain, (and Jenkins if he is part of this pool) are all interior pluggers with some pocket collapsing burst.

Last edited:
With New England, the visits do serve a purpose, the Pats will likely have some of the higher ranked kids on their board in the mix, as we often figure out afterwards, the challenge is knowing which ones.
-- OL are perhaps less likely to be brought in unless there is a medical question, BB seems quite content to let Scar set them on the board as he sees fit.
-- With Scar putting on a show at BC's Pro-Day, and the visits of Ty Smith, Nate Solder, and Prince Amukamara, NE has now painted a picture of a team showing little interest in DL early. Not reaching an agreement with Light prior to the decertification is now more interesting. Does NE see one or more of these OTs as the new long term answer? Or are the OTs the smoke screen for the DL they haven't been flashing about? Most intriguing.
-- At this point, it seems almost certain NE will be looking at a RB in the second round, thought they may not yet be certain which of the four "visits" will be their preferred target. They all appear to be very similar RBs who can do a little of everything a RB is called upon to do - should be fun.
-- What is emerging for DL is an interest in late first through early third round projections: Marvin Austin, Muhammad Wilkerson, Kendrick Ellis, Allen Bailey, Terrell McClain, Adrian Clayborne have all been worked out privately, Jarvis Jenkins may also factor into this mix in time. I'll also add one other name whom I have as more of a second round grade, contrary to many draftniks, Cameron Jordan - I do not consider him another Tyson Alualu. Interestingly, Bailey, Jordan, and Clayborne are all smaller kids more suited to the edge or passing down roles, while Wilkerson, Austin, Ellis, McClain, (and Jenkins if he is part of this pool) are all interior pluggers with some pocket collapsing burst.

Very well thought out analysis and all of that screams trade back from 17 to me. I can see us picking in the late 20's twice for OL and DL. I don't dare predict what happens with the other picks tho picking up another 2nd rounder somewhere would be nice.

What is emerging for DL is an interest in late first through early third round projections: Marvin Austin, Muhammad Wilkerson, Kendrick Ellis, Allen Bailey, Terrell McClain, Adrian Clayborne have all been worked out privately, Jarvis Jenkins may also factor into this mix in time. I'll also add one other name whom I have as more of a second round grade, contrary to many draftniks, Cameron Jordan - I do not consider him another Tyson Alualu. Interestingly, Bailey, Jordan, and Clayborne are all smaller kids more suited to the edge or passing down roles, while Wilkerson, Austin, Ellis, McClain, (and Jenkins if he is part of this pool) are all interior pluggers with some pocket collapsing burst.

I sense this may be a good draft to address both the RDE and LDE positions with as you've alluded to -- different style players.

I sense this may be a good draft to address both the RDE and LDE positions with as you've alluded to -- different style players.

Yeah. Certainly wouldn't hurt to (finally) draft Seymour's replacement AND Ty Warren's successor while we have all these high picks. I mean, it's not as if there won't be a couple good 34DE candidates in 2012 (if...), but I'm not sure how many times Al Davis and/or the brain-trust in Carolina will fall for the same trick. ;)

Some thoughts on what this might all mean.

V - Official Pre-Draft visit; visited team facilities/hosted by team in area
PW - Private workout held with prospect
AW - Attended open workout on Campus
C - Position Coach or Coordinator contact
MC - Team has spoken to player or agent or had on-Campus visit; miscellaneous contact
APD - Team official has attended Pro-Day
I - Interviewed at Combine/All-Star game
RI - Rumoured interest

QB: Andy Dalton, TCU - PW
QB: Dale Fink, Sacred Heart - APD
QB: Colin Kaepernick, Nevada - I
QB: Greg McElroy, Alabama - I
QB: Ricky Stanzi, Iowa - MC, PW
QB: Taylor Potts, Texas Tech - PW
QB: Jeff Van Camp, Florida Atlantic - PW
QB: Adam Weber, Minnesota - PW

No biggie. If some guy with value slips, great. Even better, they can begin to get to know some guys if they need a Brady replacement down the road.

RB: Alex Green, Hawaii - I
RB: Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State - PW, V
RB: Mikel Leshoure, Illinois - V
RB: Derrick Locke, Kentucky - I, PW
RB: DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma - I
RB: Bilal Powell, Louisville - MC (either PW, or V not yet confirmed)
RB: Jacquizz Rodgers, Oregon State - MC
RB: Da'Rel Scott, Maryland - PW
RB: Jordan Todman, Conneticut - C (IF)
RB: Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech - PW (IF)

Looking like a pretty serious interest in taking an RB. Also, there's a clear need to take an RB.

WR: Dontavia Bogan, South Florida, I, APD
WR: Randall Cobb, Kentucky - PW
WR: Tandon Doss, Indiana - APD
WR: Edmund Gates, Abilene Christian - PW, C (C'OS)
WR: Leonard Hankerson, Miami - I
WR: Andre Holmes, Hillsdale - PW
WR: Jeremy Kelley, Maine - APD
WR: Jeremy Kerley, TCU - PW
WR: Lester Jean, Florida Atlantic - PW
WR: Ricardo Lockette, Fort Valley State - I
WR: Chris Matthews, Kentucky - APD, PW
WR: Desmond Randall, Maine - APD
WR: Jeremy Ross, California - PW
WR: Dane Sanzenbacher, Ohio State - RI
WR: Cecil Shorts, Mount Union - MC
WR: Torrey Smith, Maryland - PW
WR: Terrance Tolliver, LSU - APD, PW

That's a lot of WRs. But not enough depth of interest to prove they'll pull the trigger with any particularly valuable pick.

TE: Josh Baker, Northwest Missouri - APD (BF)
TE: Virgil Green, Nevada - MC
TE: Rob Housler, Florida Atlantic - PW
TE: Julius Thomas, Portand State - I

Not a lot of interest in the position. Duh. :)

OT: Joseph Barksdale, Louisiana - I
OT: Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin - I
OT: James Carpenter, Alabama - APD, C (DS)
OT: Anthony Castonzo, Boston - APD (DS)
OT: Marcus Gilbert, Florida - I
OT: Chris Hairston, Clemson - PW
OT: Tyron Smith, Southern California - APD, V
OT: Nate Solder, Colorado - V
OT: Danny Watkins, Baylor - I

Pretty serious interest in a college OT. What position he would play is less clear to me. But of course we expect that or more serious OL picks are coming.

OG: Zach Hurd, Connecticut - APD (IF)
OG: Mike Person, Montana - PW
OG: Mike Pouncey, Florida - MC
OG: Will Rackley, Lehigh - PW, V
OG: Caleb Schlaudraff, Utah - I, APD (DS)
OG: Zane Taylor, Utah - APD (DS)

Not a lot of proven interest in a pure guard. But then, BB likes his guards to have the kind of athleticism one would expect from college tackles ... or wrestlers. ;)

OC: Tim Barnes, Missouri - APD, PW
OC: Taylor Boggs, Humboldt State - I, APD
OC: Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock - I, MC, PW
OC: Jake Kirkpatrick, Texas Christian - MC
OC: Ryan Pugh, Auburn - APD, MC

I hear ya. If they can get a great value pick for the center of the future, that would not be premature. But there's no evidence of a commitment to get one nomatterwhat.

DT: Marvin Austin, North Carolina - APD, V
DT: Corbin Bryant, Northwestern - PW
DT: David Carter, UCLA - I
DT: Kenric Ellis, Hampton - RI, PW
DT: Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson - RI, I
DT: Eli Joseph, Temple - PW
DT: Terrell McClain, South Florida - RI, PW
DT: Phil Taylor, Baylor - I

DE: Allen Bailey, Miami - APD, PW (BB), V

DE: Christian Ballard, Iowa - I
DE: Cameron Jordan, California - I, PW
DE: Frank Kearse, Alabama - RI
DE: Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple - RI, APD, PW

I'm as confused by the DL part as everybody else. That starts with not knowing, after BB broke up Seymour/Wilfork/Warren, whether he'd ever invest THAT much in the DL again.

OLB/DE: Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson - AW
OLB/DE: Adrian Clayborn, Iowa - PW
OLB/DE: Ricky Elmore, Arizona - PW
OLB/DE: Karl Klug, Iowa - RI
OLB/DE: Cheta Ozougw, Rice - I
OLB/DE: Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State - I
OLB/DE: Brooks Reed, Arizona - PW
OLB/DE: D'Aundre Reed, Arizona - PW
OLB/DE: Aldon Smith, Missouri - PW
OLB/DE: KJ Wright, Mississippi State - I

No compelling evidence that there's a commitment to draft at this position. Obviously, they're sniffing around. Kind of like WR, but perhaps w/ flashier names.

ILB: Mark Herzlich, Boston - I
ILB: Michael Lockley, Florida Atlantic - PW
ILB: Casey Matthews, Arizona - I
ILB: Colin McCarthy, Miami - C (BB)
ILB: Michael Mohamed, California - PW
ILB: Adrien Moten, Maryland - PW
ILB: J.T Thomas, West Virginia - I
ILB: Martez Wilson, Illinois - PW

Even more like WR.

S: Ahmad Black, Florida - I
S: Desia Dunn, Fresno State - PW
S: Tommy Irvin, Wofford - AW
S: Jaiquawn Jarrett, Temple - PW
S: Mark LeGree, Appalachian State - C
S: Kevin Rutland, Missouri - PW
S: Justin Taplin-Ross, Utah - I
S: Collin Zych, Harvard - AW

Ditto.

CB: Cortez Allen, Citadel - PW
CB: Prince Amukamara, Nebraska - V
CB: Chykie Brown, Texas - MC, PW
CB: Curtis Brown, Texas - PW
CB: Brandon Harris, Miami - C (BB)
CB: Ryan Hill, Miami - I, C (BB)
CB: Johnny Patrick, Louisville - PW
CB: Mistral Raymond, South Florida - APD, PW
CB: Buster Skrine, Tennessee - Chatanooga - MC, PW
CB: DeMarcus Van Dyke, Miami - C (BB)

That all adds up to a fair amount of interest. But then, most of us would say there's a clear need, with the presumed #3 CB being both questionable and perhaps better-suited to safety, and the presumed #2 coming off injury.

Thanks for the effort!!

Re: Patriots Player Contact Page

Who started that thread last year on all the players the Patriots have contacted (Interviews, workouts, campus visits, etc)? It would be nice if someone could do that again this year.

Very very smart of you to bring up. Some people throw away the contacts list and label it as misinformation, but the majority of players drafted by a team are usually part of that list.

Dale Fink - Went from being listed at 6'4 by Sacred Heart to measuring 6'0 5/8" at his Pro-Day (OUCH)... Poor man's Drew Brees?
He is what he is, good luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore