PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-draft contacts (2009 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Add Jason Williams LB Western Illinois

Oh dear my friend, I see we haven't been up late drinking and swapping draft thoughts in a while! As always with BB, college position, especially for kids who played in a 4-3 system, means little. This kid is being scouted for Special Teams and ILB.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to insinuate his college position was going to prevent him from playing ILB for us. I was merely curious if anyone here had seen enough of him to be able to project him at that spot, as I don't know him from Adam unfortunately.

Private workout...

NFL Draft Scout (subscription site) is reporting that Ball State OT Robert Brewster, has a private workout scheduled with the Pats for this week.

Brewster has started every game (48) at Ball St; 41 at right tackle, and 7 more at right guard as a freshman. Impressed in his all-star game (Texas vs the Nation) and at the Combine. If you compare his Combine numbers, you'll find he fared better than the majority of OGs and OTs. Was projected as a late day two prospect when the college season ended, but as this article states, because of his workout and interviews at the Combine, he may have risen into the fourth round area.

Clearly, he's a right side prospect, with some suggesting he's better suited for OG. According to NFLDS's extensive profile (wow), he's a savvy player with good character, strong work ethic, and a bit of nasty to boot. Certainly has the size at 6-4 325, and from the article we find he's been nicknamed "The Dancing Bear". Perhaps he's one to look for on day two.

Added RB Rashad Jennings & updated list...

Hot off the Wire - Fantasy Football News
Patriots | R. Jennings to work out Wednesday
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:22:49 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Liberty RB Rashad Jennings has a workout with the New England Patriots scheduled for Wednesday, March 11.
Code:
[U][B]Legend[/B][/U]
PW - Private workout to be held
V - Team is bringing in player to team facilities
I - Interviewed at Combine or various All Star games
APD - Attended pro day
RI - Rumored interest
MV -Team took prospect out, worked out individually at pro day, or miscellaneous visit

WR Juaquin Iglesias I
WR Aaron Kelly I
WR Derrick Williams I
RB Rashad Jennings I PW APD
RB Bernard Scott PW
FB Brock Bolen RI
OL Antoine Caldwell I
OL Robert Brewster PW
OL Alex Mack I
DL Robert Ayers I
DL Alex Magee I
DL B.J. Raji I
LB Brian Cushing I
LB Moise Fokou I
LB Zach Follett I
LB Clay Matthews I 
LB Rey Maualuga I
LB Tyrone McKenzie I
LB Jason Williams PW APD
CB Macho Harris I
CB Ellis Lankster I
CB Keenan Lewis I
S Louis Delmas I
S Rashad Johnson I
S/LB Nic Harris I

Pats had Pees and the DB coach check out Clemson S Chris Clemons per Draft Daddy:

Prolific Clemson University free safety Chris Clemons might be one of the fastest-rising prospects leading up to the 2009 draft. One league source indicated that the 6', 208 pound native of Arcadia, Florida has really open eyes with his 40 times. Multiple scouts have clocked him between 4.37 and 4.38 in private workouts and, according to our numbers, he ran a 4.39 and 4.40 at the most recent N.F.L. combine. Clemons has had multiple private workouts with the Atlanta Falcons (DB coach) and most recently displayed his skills for the New England Patriots (DB coach and def coor). In addition, Philadelphia and New Orleans, who have a strong need for depth at safety, have set up private workouts with Chris. An anonymous scout reportedly told one of our sources: "His film work doesn't lie, he has positioned himself as a day one safety". The scout went on to mention that Clemons might be drafted much higher than most are currently expecting.

Pats had Pees and the DB coach check out Clemson S Chris Clemons per Draft Daddy:

Prolific Clemson University free safety Chris Clemons might be one of the fastest-rising prospects leading up to the 2009 draft. One league source indicated that the 6', 208 pound native of Arcadia, Florida has really open eyes with his 40 times. Multiple scouts have clocked him between 4.37 and 4.38 in private workouts and, according to our numbers, he ran a 4.39 and 4.40 at the most recent N.F.L. combine. Clemons has had multiple private workouts with the Atlanta Falcons (DB coach) and most recently displayed his skills for the New England Patriots (DB coach and def coor). In addition, Philadelphia and New Orleans, who have a strong need for depth at safety, have set up private workouts with Chris. An anonymous scout reportedly told one of our sources: "His film work doesn't lie, he has positioned himself as a day one safety". The scout went on to mention that Clemons might be drafted much higher than most are currently expecting.
He ran a 4.38 at the Combine, but his change of direction numbers are very stiff, that lad is all straight line. Still, he caught my eye the couple times I saw him play.

Add combine speedster Johnny Knox to the list:

DD.com contributor Josh Buchanan reports Abilene Christian wide receiver Johnny Knox had a private workout with the Philadelphia Eagles March 10th and will visit the New England Patriots on March 19th. Knox will also visit with the Miami Dolphins April 14th and 15th. Right now, Josh projects the Division II speedster as a 4th round selection, but would not be surprised to see someone pull the trigger on him in the 3rd round.

3/17/09 update

DD.com contributor Josh Buchanan reports Sam Houston State quarterback Rhett Bomar has recently worked out for the New England Patriots and the New York Jets.
Code:
[U][B]Legend[/B][/U]
APD - Attended pro day
RI - Rumored interest
MV -Team took prospect out, worked out individually at pro day, or miscellaneous visit

QB Rhett Bomar PW
QB Pat White PW
WR Juaquin Iglesias I
WR Aaron Kelly I
WR Johnny Knox V
WR Derrick Williams I
RB Bernard Scott PW
FB Brock Bolen RI
OL Antoine Caldwell I
OL Robert Brewster PW
OL Alex Mack I
DL Robert Ayers I
DL Alex Magee I
DL B.J. Raji I
DE/OLB Connor Barwin I PW
LB Brian Cushing I
LB Moise Fokou I
LB Zach Follett I
LB Clay Matthews I 
LB Rey Maualuga I RI
LB Tyrone McKenzie I
LB Jason Williams PW APD
CB Macho Harris I
CB Vince Anderson RI
CB Ellis Lankster I
CB Keenan Lewis I
S Chris Clemons PW
S Louis Delmas I
S Rashad Johnson I
S/LB Nic Harris I

Re: 3/17/09 update

I recently came to the idea that New England is taking the time to evaluate players, in person, who will be drafted by the competition. Some of these guys don't fit the mold here. How often do teams get a chance to test the physical capabilities of players on other teams? What better time than now? Rhet Bomar and Pat White probably won't be drafted to play here but we should expect to play against them.

Re: 3/17/09 update

I recently came to the idea that New England is taking the time to evaluate players, in person, who will be drafted by the competition. Some of these guys don't fit the mold here. How often do teams get a chance to test the physical capabilities of players on other teams? What better time than now? Rhet Bomar and Pat White probably won't be drafted to play here but we should expect to play against them.
Unlikely, they see roles for these players and are doing further research to answer questins that remain to they can put the final draft board together.

Updated 3/19/09: Added RB Devin Moore & DE/OLB Everett Brown

Code:
[U][B]Legend[/B][/U]
APD - Attended pro day
RI - Rumored interest
QB Rhett Bomar PW
QB Pat White PW
WR Juaquin Iglesias I
WR Aaron Kelly I
WR Johnny Knox V
WR Derrick Williams I
RB Devin Moore PW
RB Bernard Scott PW
FB Brock Bolen RI
OL Antoine Caldwell I
OL Robert Brewster PW
OL Alex Mack I
DL Robert Ayers I
DL Alex Magee I
DL B.J. Raji I
DE/OLB Everett Brown PW
LB Brian Cushing I
LB Moise Fokou I
LB Zach Follett I
LB Clay Matthews I
LB Rey Maualuga I RI
LB Tyrone McKenzie I
LB Jason Williams PW APD
CB Macho Harris I
CB Vince Anderson RI
CB Ellis Lankster I
CB Keenan Lewis I
S Chris Clemons PW
S Louis Delmas I
S Rashad Johnson I
S/LB Nic Harris I

Re: Updated 3/19/09: Added RB Devin Moore & DE/OLB Everett Brown

Joe Burnett, CB, UCF

"New England Patriots threw their hats into the ring as Pats head honcho Bill Belichick took a ride down to the UCF facilities to work Burnett out earlier this afternoon. Belichick is familiar with UCF corners, as he helped mold and cultivate former Knight Asante Samuel into a two-time Pro Bowler."

Scout.com: Smokin? Joe Gets a Visitor

Belichick works out Burnett...

Joe Burnett, CB, UCF

"New England Patriots threw their hats into the ring as Pats head honcho Bill Belichick took a ride down to the UCF facilities to work Burnett out earlier this afternoon. Belichick is familiar with UCF corners, as he helped mold and cultivate former Knight Asante Samuel into a two-time Pro Bowler."

I've been talking about Burnett since last draft as a potential Pats prospect. And more recently, I mentioned there being other CB options after Darius Butler and Alphonso Smith, who will both go on day one. Well, Burnett is one of those other options. NFLDS has him as a round 5-6 projection -- I think he's a 4th-rounder -- same as Asante.

He's football fast (not 40 fast). Does have impressive change of direction ability evidenced by his third fastest 3-cone of 6.68. Burnett has excellent ball skills (16 picks, 35 pass deflections), and owns numerous UCF records, including career picks and career punt return yards.

When we look at the Pats roster of CBs, we have Hobbs as one starter, w/ Wheatley and Bodden as potential starters at LCB. There's enough room to add one more developmental prospect at CB, not knowing what the 2010 roster will look like. Selecting a day two CB now makes sense, as Bodden is only signed for one year, and Hobbs may or may not move on. Burnett is only one CB option, Mickens is another I also like, with a couple of others yet to be determined.

Re: Belichick works out Burnett...

I've been talking about Burnett since last draft as a potential Pats prospect. And more recently, I mentioned there being other CB options after Darius Butler and Alphonso Smith, who will both go on day one. Well, Burnett is one of those other options. NFLDS has him as a round 5-6 projection -- I think he's a 4th-rounder -- same as Asante.

He's football fast (not 40 fast). Does have impressive change of direction ability evidenced by his third fastest 3-cone of 6.68. Burnett has excellent ball skills (16 picks, 35 pass deflections), and owns numerous UCF records, including career picks and career punt return yards.

When we look at the Pats roster of CBs, we have Hobbs as one starter, w/ Wheatley and Bodden as potential starters at LCB. There's enough room to add one more developmental prospect at CB, not knowing what the 2010 roster will look like. Selecting a day two CB now makes sense, as Bodden is only signed for one year, and Hobbs may or may not move on. Burnett is only one CB option, Mickens is another I also like, with a couple of others yet to be determined.

I have also been on this kids bandwaggon since the Texas game a couple of year ago. I really think he is worth a day two pick with outstanding return skills aswell. I think this guy can also cover kicks and compete some at corner. With corner not be as high a priority as it was before FA I think he would be a great 5th round pick.

Updated list: 3/22/09

"New England Patriots threw their hats into the ring as Pats head honcho Bill Belichick took a ride down to the UCF facilities to work [CB Joe] Burnett out earlier this afternoon.
Cincinnati defensive back Brandon Underwood to work out for the New England Patriots...

Underwood has played primarily cornerback at the college level, but is viewed by some as a potential free safety at the next level.
NFL DRAFT BIBLE - Workout Watch: Pats & Rams Interested In DB

Legend

APD - Attended pro day
RI - Rumored interest

QB Rhett Bomar PW
QB Pat White PW
WR Juaquin Iglesias I
WR Aaron Kelly I
WR Johnny Knox V
WR Derrick Williams I
RB Devin Moore PW
RB Bernard Scott PW
FB Brock Bolen RI
OL Antoine Caldwell I
OL Robert Brewster PW
OL Alex Mack I
DL Robert Ayers I
DL Alex Magee I
DL B.J. Raji I
DE/OLB Everett Brown PW
LB Brian Cushing I
LB Moise Fokou I
LB Zach Follett I
LB Clay Matthews I
LB Rey Maualuga I RI
LB Tyrone McKenzie I
LB Jason Williams PW APD
CB Joe Burnett PW (by Belichick)
CB Macho Harris I
CB Vince Anderson RI
CB Ellis Lankster I
CB Keenan Lewis I
CB/S Brandon Underwood PW
S Chris Clemons PW
S Louis Delmas I
S Rashad Johnson I
S/LB Nic Harris I

Updated 3/27/09

Legend
APD - Attended pro day
RI - Rumored interest

QB Rhett Bomar PW
QB Brian Hoyer PW
QB Pat White PW
WR Juaquin Iglesias I
WR Aaron Kelly I
WR Johnny Knox V
WR Derrick Williams I
RB Andre Brown PW V
RB Devin Moore PW
RB Bernard Scott PW
FB Brock Bolen RI
OL Antoine Caldwell I
OL Robert Brewster PW
OL Alex Mack I
DL Robert Ayers I
DL Alex Magee I
DL B.J. Raji I
DE/OLB Connor Barwin I PW V
DE/OLB Cody Brown PW
DE/OLB Everett Brown PW
DE/OLB Henry Melton PW
LB Brian Cushing I
LB Moise Fokou I
LB Zach Follett I
LB Clay Matthews I
LB Rey Maualuga I RI
LB Tyrone McKenzie I
LB Derek Nicholson PW
LB Jason Williams PW APD
CB Macho Harris I
CB Vince Anderson RI
CB Ellis Lankster I
CB Keenan Lewis I
S Chris Clemons PW
S Louis Delmas I
S Rashad Johnson I
S/LB Nic Harris I

---

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/patriots-will-work-out-qb-hoyer/
WEEI.com has confirmed a report that the Patriots will privately work out Michigan State quarterback Brian Hoyer.
Patriots to host Barwin on pre-draft visit - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com
Barwin is scheduled to fly to New England Sunday night and visit Gillette Stadium on Monday.
ProFootballTalk.com - Stock Rising For Andre Brown
Speedy North Carolina State running back Andre Brown is scheduled to visit the San Diego Chargers, Tennessee Titans, San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans, New England Patriots and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

He has also conducted a private workout with the Patriots.
KFFL - New England Patriots News and Notes
Patriots | C. Brown worked out
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:18:05 -0700

Ed Thompson, of Scout.com, reports the New England Patriots worked out University of Connecticut DE Cody Brown March 19, according to a source.
NFL DRAFT BIBLE - Workout Watch: New England Works 'Nole
Florida St. linebacker Derek Nicholson works out for the Patriots, while also drawing interest from the Chiefs and Broncos.

He is no lock to be drafted and will have to prove himself as a special teams standout in all likelihood to stick. Derek's older brother A.J. Nicholson was drafted in the fifth round of the 2006 NFL Draft by the Cincinnati Bengals, also out of Florida St. Their father Darrell Nicholson was a linebacker as well, both at the University of North Carolina and with the New York Giants of the NFL.
statesman.com | Henry Melton on the draft radar after impressive Pro Day | Golden's Nuggets
Melton has private workouts scheduled with New England, Miami, and Chicago. The Dallas Cowboys have also reportedly shown some interest.

Louis Delmas is being brought in for a visit

According to profootballtalk.com, Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas has a pre-draft visit scheduled with the Patriots. The 5-foot-11, 202-pound Delmas, a four-year starter and three-time all-conference safety, is projected to be one of the first safeties taken in next month’s draft, possibly a late first- or second-round selection.

Updated - 3/28/09

Legend
APD - Attended pro day
RI - Rumored interest

QB Rhett Bomar PW
QB Brian Hoyer PW
QB Pat White PW
WR Juaquin Iglesias I
WR Aaron Kelly I
WR Johnny Knox V
WR Derrick Williams I
RB Andre Brown PW V
RB Devin Moore PW
RB Bernard Scott PW
FB Brock Bolen RI
OL Antoine Caldwell I
OL Robert Brewster PW
OL Alex Mack I
DL Robert Ayers I
DL Jarron Gilbert PW
DL Sammie Lee Hill MV
DL Alex Magee I
DL B.J. Raji I
DE/OLB Cody Brown PW
DE/OLB Everett Brown PW
DE/OLB Henry Melton PW
LB Brian Cushing I
LB Moise Fokou I
LB Zach Follett I
LB Clay Matthews I
LB Rey Maualuga I RI
LB Tyrone McKenzie I
LB Derek Nicholson PW
LB Jason Williams PW APD
CB Vince Anderson RI
CB Tony Carter V
CB Macho Harris I
CB Ellis Lankster I
CB Keenan Lewis I
CB Alphonso Smith V
S Chris Clemons PW
S Louis Delmas I V
S Rashad Johnson I
S/LB Nic Harris I

---
ProFootballTalk.com - Delmas In Demand
Per a league source, Louis Delmas of Western Michigan has visits scheduled with the Ravens, Falcons, Jets, Saints, Broncos, Dolphins, Browns, Patriots, and Cowboys.
ProFootballTalk.com - Alphonso Smith’s Dance Card Filling Up Fast
Highly regarded Wake Forest cornerback Alphonso Smith is in heavy demand from NFL teams, according to a league source.

Per the source, Smith is scheduled to visit the Oakland Raiders, New Orleans Saints, Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings, Tennessee Titans, Pittsburgh Steelers and the New England Patriots.
ProFootballTalk.com - Sammie Lee Hill Is Getting Around
Little-known Sammie Lee Hill, a defensive tackle from Stillman College, quietly is getting noticed as the draft approaches.

A league source tells us that Hill, who some think could be picked as high as round two, has scheduled visits with the Jets, Eagles, Buccaneers, Chargers, and Steelers.

He also has met with the Patriots, Rams, and Chiefs.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw.php/nfl#555012
NFL | Lots of interest in J. Gilbert
Sat, 28 Mar 2009 05:16:14 -0700

San Jose State DL Jarron Gilbert will hold individual workouts with the San Diego Chargers, Detroit Lions, New England Patriots, Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints, Pittsburgh Steelers and Kansas City Chiefs in April.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm
Former Florida State cornerback Tony Carter has visits set up with the Cowboys, Texans, Steelers and the Patriots.

Last edited:
Another saftey visiting

With Harrison an unrestricted free agent, the Patriots could be looking for another option, and they plan to host three highly touted prospects on predraft visits at Gillette Stadium - Patrick Chung (Oregon),

The Globe reports:

S William Moore, Missouri
S Patrick Chung, Oregon

have scheduled Foxboro visits, in addition to Louis Delmas.

Updated - 3/28/09

Legend
APD - Attended pro day
RI - Rumored interest

QB Rhett Bomar PW
QB Brian Hoyer PW
QB Pat White PW
WR Juaquin Iglesias I
WR Aaron Kelly I
WR Johnny Knox V
WR Derrick Williams I
RB Andre Brown PW V
RB Devin Moore PW
RB Bernard Scott PW
FB Brock Bolen RI
OL Antoine Caldwell I
OL Robert Brewster PW
OL Alex Mack I
DL Robert Ayers I
DL Jarron Gilbert PW
DL Sammie Lee Hill MV
DL Alex Magee I
DL B.J. Raji I
DE/OLB Cody Brown PW
DE/OLB Everett Brown PW
DE/OLB Henry Melton PW
LB Brian Cushing I
LB Moise Fokou I
LB Zach Follett I
LB Clay Matthews I
LB Rey Maualuga I RI
LB Tyrone McKenzie I
LB Derek Nicholson PW
LB Jason Williams PW APD
CB Vince Anderson RI
CB Tony Carter V
CB Macho Harris I
CB Ellis Lankster I
CB Keenan Lewis I
CB Alphonso Smith V
S Patrick Chung V
S Chris Clemons PW
S Louis Delmas I V
S Rashad Johnson I
S William Moore V
S/LB Nic Harris I

---

Defensive backfield in motion - The Boston Globe
With Harrison an unrestricted free agent, the Patriots could be looking for another option, and they plan to host three highly touted prospects on predraft visits at Gillette Stadium - Patrick Chung (Oregon), William Moore (Missouri), and Louis Delmas (Western Michigan) - according to NFL sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News