PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-draft contacts (2009 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Add Jason Williams LB Western Illinois

NFL.com Blogs Blog Archive Louisville C Wood drawing lots of interest
Louisville C Wood drawing lots of interest

Posted: March 30th, 2009

At the Louisville Pro Day on March 26, C Eric Wood (6-4, 310 pounds) showed that he is generating a lot of buzz from many NFL teams.

Wood did position drills at the pro day but otherwise stood on his marks from the NFL combine. He has already visited the Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals and has worked out for the Philadelphia Eagles and the Denver Broncos. He also has a workout scheduled with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In all, reps from 17 NFL teams attended the pro day, including New England Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia. The 11 players worked out indoors on FieldTurf.

Last edited:
Added Ziggy Hood - 3/31/09

Legend
PW - Private workout to be held
V - Team is bringing in player to team facilities
I - Interviewed at Combine or various All Star games
APD - Attended pro day
RI - Rumored interest
MV -Team took prospect out, worked out individually at pro day, or miscellaneous visit

QB Rhett Bomar PW
QB Brian Hoyer PW
QB Pat White PW
WR Juaquin Iglesias I
WR Aaron Kelly I
WR Johnny Knox V
WR Derrick Williams I
RB Andre Brown PW V
RB Rashad Jennings I PW APD
RB Devin Moore PW
RB Bernard Scott PW
FB Brock Bolen RI
OL Antoine Caldwell I
OL Robert Brewster PW
OL Alex Mack I
OL Jamon Meredith PW
DL Robert Ayers I
DL Jarron Gilbert PW
DL Lonnie Harvey RI
DL Sammie Lee Hill MV
DL Evander Hood V
DL Alex Magee I
DL B.J. Raji I
DE/OLB Connor Barwin I PW V
DE/OLB Cody Brown PW
DE/OLB Everett Brown PW
DE/OLB Henry Melton PW
DE/OLB Lawrence Sidbury V
LB Russell Allen RI

LB Brian Cushing I
LB Moise Fokou I
LB Zach Follett I
LB Clay Matthews I
LB Rey Maualuga I RI
LB Tyrone McKenzie I
LB Derek Nicholson PW
LB Dan Skuta RI
LB Jason Williams PW APD
CB Vince Anderson RI
CB Joe Burnett PW (by Belichick)
CB Tony Carter V
CB Derek Cox PW
CB Macho Harris I
CB Ellis Lankster I
CB Keenan Lewis I
CB Alphonso Smith V
CB/S Brandon Underwood PW
S Patrick Chung V
S Chris Clemons PW
S Louis Delmas I V
S Rashad Johnson I
S William Moore V
S/LB Nic Harris I

---

Patriots schedule Missouri DL Hood for a visit - The Boston Globe

By the way, not sure if it's already been asked, has anyone got last years list at hand? See how we did in terms of players brought in for visits and those we actually drafted?

ILB Jarod Mayo, CB Terrence Wheatley, and OLB Shawn Crable were the only draftees on last year's list of 68 prospects. All three were pre-draft visits.

By the way, not sure if it's already been asked, has anyone got last years list at hand? See how we did in terms of players brought in for visits and those we actually drafted?

From my 2008 draft notes:

Private Workouts
QB Josh Johnson, San Diego

C Jamey Richard, Buffalo

DE Lawrence Jackson, USC
DE/OLB Cliff Avril, USC
DE/OLB Derrick Harvey, Florida
DE/OLB Quentin Groves, Auburn
DE/OLB Marcus Howard

LB Thomas Williams, USC
LB Stanford Keglar, Purdue

CB Leodis McKelvin
CB Aquib Talib
CB Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie
CB Mike Jenkins
CB Antoine Cason
CB Terrell Thomas
CB Zach Bowman
CB Orlando Scandrick
CB Chris Horton
CB Dennis Keyes
CB Trae Williams, Central Florida
CB Jack Williams

Foxboro Visits
RB Darren McFadden

DT Glenn Dorsey

DE/OLB Vernon Gholston
DE/OLB Cliff Avril
DE/OLB Quentin Groves
DE/OLB Jason Jones, E Mich
DE/OLB Darrell Robertson

LB Keith Rivers, USC
LB Curtis Lofton
LB Jerod Mayo

CB Leodis McKelvin
CB Aqib Talib
CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
CB Antoine Cason
CB Patrick Lee
CB Charles Godfrey
CB Terrell Thomas

21 reported private workouts, 0 players drafted.
17 reported Foxboro visits, 1 player drafted.

38 total reported visits, 1 player drafted.
Interesting, huh.

There was an interesting story in Sports Illustrated last week about the drafting of Jay Cutler. Cutler said he had a series of private workouts and visits, and had team hats ready for all the teams that had expressed interest.

Shanahan apparently decided he wanted to draft Cutler, and didn't tell ANYONE in the team he was interested. During the draft, he instructed the GM to negotiate a trade up in the first round, without telling him or the coaches who it was for. Then Shanahan drafted Cutler.

Cutler said he was shocked, and had no Bronco's team hat to wear. He had no idea Denver had any interest, since they hadn't called or anything.

It's fun to track these reports, and guess what it means.
And there may well have been plenty of visits that weren't reported, or that I missed.
But from the 38 I tracked, only one player was drafted.

From last year, however, you do get a sense of the positions the Patriots are targeting. Clearly LB (14 of 38 visits) and CB (19 of 38) were targeted (total 33 of 38 reported visits). With Rivers, Wheatley, Crable, and Wilhite, they took four at those two positions in the first four rounds, but only one had a visit.

Everette Brown will stand on most of his combine numbers but participate in position drills. The Miami Dolphins sent their linebackers coach to watch Brown. The New England Patriots linebacker coach is also flying into Tallahassee and will be meeting privately with Brown Tuesday evening for dinner.

Lang has private workouts set up with the Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots. He also has visits set up with the Jaguars, Ravens and Chicago Bears.

TFY

And there may well have been plenty of visits that weren't reported, or that I missed.
But from the 38 I tracked, only one player was drafted.

With Rivers, Wheatley, Crable, and Wilhite, they took four at those two positions in the first four rounds, but only one had a visit.

Didn't you read what I posted?

From the list of 68 names, Mayo, Wheatley, and Crable were the only draftees. All three were listed as pre-draft visits.

The New England Patriots linebacker coach is also flying into Tallahassee and will be meeting privately with Brown Tuesday evening for dinner.

I've never mentioned it, but Brown is #1 on my board (at his position). Always thought he'd be out of reach, and doubt we'd give up a lot to move up as far as it may take. Well, he gets a free meal from the Pats at the very least.

Didn't you read what I posted?

From the list of 68 names, Mayo, Wheatley, and Crable were the only draftees. All three were listed as pre-draft visits.

That actually looks like a strong endorsement of the visits as predictive, since they were the first 3 Pats picks and most of the others on the visit/workout list were already gone by the time they picked next. At the very least, it should put an end to the "oh, the Pats are showing interest, cross that name off" malarkey.

I've never mentioned it, but Brown is #1 on my board (at his position). Always thought he'd be out of reach, and doubt we'd give up a lot to move up as far as it may take. Well, he gets a free meal from the Pats at the very least.

Yeah, I thought the dinner was an interesting touch. I wonder if they'll talk about football?

Brown is my #2 OLB, since I have Curry listed primarily as OLB.

Stony Brook University offensive guard/center Lawrence Lovell has conducted a private workout for the New England Patriots, according to a league source.

The 6′3,” 294-pound lineman bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times at the Hofstra Pro Day.

O.K. -- so who are the draftees this draft? :confused: ;)
Looking at your visitation report on Mayo, Wheatley, and Crable, plus Urgent's visitation tracking from 2008, it looks like OLB and Safety are carrying the most weight.
- The two most athletic OLBs from the Combine are visiting. BB appears to be looking at guys who bring more to the pass rush than those currently on the roster, and also have the tools for the other roles of an OLB.
- Three SS, all with a reputation as playmakers. And the consensus highest rated Free Safety, also a playmaker and strong against the run.
- Two CBs who are both scrappy little guys in the Ellis Hobbs mold, one a Day One playmaker, the other a projected late round four year starter - both in the ACC.
- One heavier Jarvis Green-type DE.
- One projected mid-round big RB.
- One Day Two deep threat WR.

Meanwhile, Coaches and Scouts are out and around doing private workouts and meetings.

#23 appears to be targeted for OLB (Sidbury is starting to slip into the first round in some mocks/rankings). "If" William Moore is - in the Patriots' eyes - the 2007 Moore, he may also be listed here before Atlanta or Miami can take him.
#34 is set for Safety, Delmas and Chung generally are ranked between 34-47, Moore of course is all over the place, and Vaughn is the fall back option later in the round. CB Alphonso Smith and DE Evander Hood are value options being readied against late shifts in the draft (Hood coming in for a visit slips him ahead of Gilbert who had a pw).
#47/58 are being set up for OL: C/G Eric Wood, C/G/T C.J. Lang, and T/G Jamon Meredeth are variously ranked mid-second to mid-third. Coach Scarnecchia attended two of the Pro Days, and Lang had a private workout with either Scar or a Scout. The focus appears to be the interior.
#89/97 are looking at RB and OLB depth, based on the pw and v record.
The 4th - 7th rounds are focused on Special Teams, the Practice Squad, and general depth, primarily at CB, WR, QB, and LB.

That's my best guess with the visitations and private workouts to date.

From Patriots Insider

Scout.com NFL Draft Analyst Chris Steuber has informed Patriots Insider that Texas A&M quarterback Stephen McGee will visit the New England Patriots on Wednesday

Updated list - 3/31/09

Legend
PW - Private workout to be held
AW - Attended workout
V - Team is bringing in player to team facilities
I - Interviewed at Combine or various All Star games
APD - Attended pro day
RI - Rumored interest
MV -Team took prospect out, worked out individually at pro day, or miscellaneous visit

QB Rhett Bomar PW
QB Brian Hoyer PW
QB Stephen McGee V
QB Pat White PW

WR Juaquin Iglesias I
WR Aaron Kelly I
WR Johnny Knox V
WR Derrick Williams I

RB Andre Brown PW V
RB Rashad Jennings I PW APD
RB Devin Moore PW
RB Bernard Scott PW
FB Brock Bolen RI

OL Antoine Caldwell I
OL Robert Brewster PW
OL Lawrence Lovell
PW
OL Alex Mack I
OL Jamon Meredith PW
OL Eric Wood AW APD (attended by Dante)

DL Robert Ayers I V
DL Jarron Gilbert PW
DL Lonnie Harvey RI
DL Sammie Lee Hill MV
DL Evander Hood V
DL Alex Magee I
DL B.J. Raji I

DE/OLB Connor Barwin I PW V
DE/OLB Cody Brown PW APD (Belichick)
DE/OLB Everett Brown PW

DE/OLB Sherman Logan PW
DE/OLB Henry Melton PW
DE/OLB Lawrence Sidbury V

LB Russell Allen RI

LB Brian Cushing I
LB Moise Fokou I
LB Zach Follett I
LB Clay Matthews I
LB Rey Maualuga I RI
LB Tyrone McKenzie I
LB Derek Nicholson PW
LB Dan Skuta RI
LB Jason Williams PW APD

CB Vince Anderson RI
CB Joe Burnett PW (by Belichick)
CB Don Carey PW
CB Tony Carter V
CB Derek Cox PW
CB Macho Harris I
CB/S Malcom Jenkins V
CB Ellis Lankster I
CB Keenan Lewis I
CB Alphonso Smith V
CB/S Brandon Underwood PW

S Patrick Chung V
S Chris Clemons PW
S Louis Delmas I V
S Rashad Johnson I
S William Moore V
S/LB Nic Harris I

---

ProFootballTalk.com - Louisville Lineman In NFL Loop
New England Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia also attended Wood's workout.

It Is What It Is Patriots working out small schoolers
About a week ago, the Patriots worked out defensive end/linebacker Sherman Logan out and defensive end Lawrence Sidbury Jr., both out of Richmond. In addition, they worked out Norfolk State cornerback Don Carey on Monday, and were scheduled to work out William & Mary cornerback Derek Cox Tuesday morning.

Scout.com: Draft Buzz: Patriots Looking At Another QB
Texas A&M quarterback Stephen McGee will visit the New England Patriots

Malcom Jenkins has a tenative deal to visit the patriots - per Albert Breer

Stony Brook University offensive guard/center Lawrence Lovell has conducted a private workout for the New England Patriots, according to a league source.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/31/ayers-making-his-move/
University of Tennessee defensive end Robert Ayers is scheduled to visit the New England Patriots...

Last edited:
From Pro Football Talk

Ayers Making His Move
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 31, 2009, 2:49 p.m.
University of Tennessee defensive end Robert Ayers is scheduled to visit the New England Patriots

Per Mike Reiss

the Patriots also have plans to host Penn State offensive guard Rich Ohrnberger and Louisville defensive tackle Adrian Grady, NFL sources said. Both are considered mid- to late-round prospects

NFL DRAFT BIBLE - Workout Watch: R.Ayers, C.Barwin & More
Antoine Caldwell, OL, Alabama
Has workouts scheduled with the Giants, Jets, Falcons, Patriots, Browns and Broncos.

Robert Ayers, DL, Tennessee
Has workouts scheduled with the Patriots, Broncos and Eaggles and visits scheduled with the Browns, Ravens and Bills.

Sherman Logan, DE/LB, Richmond
Has a workout scheduled with the Patriots.

Connor Barwin, LB, Cincinnati
Has private workouts scheduled with the Patriots, Seattle, Miami, Denver, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Atlanta and visits scheduled with Buffalo, Tennessee, Jacksonville, St. Louis

Derek Cox, CB, William & Mary
Has workouts scheduled with the Patriots and Raiders and a visit scheduled with the Jaguars.

Per Gil Brandt:

More evidence on Toler’s rapidly improving stock: five teams (Browns, Jets, Ravens, Redskins and Cardinals) have already worked him out privately and a sixth (the Patriots) is scheduled to do so Wednesday.

That's CB Greg Toler from St. Something (I think Francis, possibly Paul or Mary) in Virginia.

Per Gil Brandt:

More evidence on Toler’s rapidly improving stock: five teams (Browns, Jets, Ravens, Redskins and Cardinals) have already worked him out privately and a sixth (the Patriots) is scheduled to do so Wednesday.

That's CB Greg Toler from St. Something (I think Francis, possibly Paul or Mary) in Virginia.
Paul, of Peter, Paul, and Matthias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye