PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-draft contacts (2009 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could we be looking at the next Wilhite in Lankster? He's rated as a 6th round pick, but the Pats may well 'reach' for him in round 4 or 5 if they really like him. He's described as a good 'cover' corner.

An unfortunate Combine snub however.

Updated list - 2/8/09

Code:
RB Rashad Jennings
FB Brock Bolen
WR Derrick Williams
WR Juaquin Iglesias
OL Alex Mack
OL Antoine Caldwell
DL Robert Ayers
DT Alex Magee 
DT B.J. Raji 
LB Brian Cushing 
LB Moise Fokou
LB Zach Follett
LB Clay Matthews 
LB Rey Maualuga 
LB Tyrone McKenzie 
CB Macho Harris 
CB Keenan Lewis 
CB Ellis Lankster 
S Louis Delmas 
S Rashad Johnson
S/LB Nic Harris
New Era Scouting NFL Team Interest - Updated

Alex Mack, C, California
Victor Harris, CB, Virginia Tech
Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State
Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
Alex Magee, DT, Purdue
Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, South Florida
Louis Delmas, FS, Western Michigan
Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State
Nic Harris, S/LB, Oklahoma
Zach Follett, LB, California
Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty
Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma

Im not positive, but it seemed that Nic Harris was being tried out at LB... am I correct?

Tweener. He's actually pretty darn fast for being 6-3 230 or in that ballpark.

I forgot this thread existed. :ugh:

LB Brian Cushing

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive Cushing sighting

USC LB Brian Cushing made his way to the podium moments ago. The New Jersey native had a very easy-going demeanor. He told me he loves watching film because he's so passionate about the game and wants to learn anything and everything he can.

He also confirmed that he has a meeting scheduled with the Pats tonight.

There was something about him, though, that left me with a questionable vibe. Hard to explain at the moment, but it was there …

Just wanted to bump this thread because it was so useful last year. It seems like the info might have dried up this year? I thought we found out about most of the contacts via combine interviews, but maybe it was Pro Day interviews?

I do remember that it was quite clear last year that Belichick and company were going to take a CB early as the contact list contained maybe 10-15 CB's many of whom were projected as 1st or 2nd round picks.

Edit: This list will probably be expanded when prospects start to visit New England for pre draft visits. Every NFL team is allowed so many visits (I think the number is around 30) and some of those visitors names ended up being leaked either by someone associated with the team, player, or agent.

Last edited:
Could we be looking at the next Wilhite in Lankster? He's rated as a 6th round pick, but the Pats may well 'reach' for him in round 4 or 5 if they really like him. He's described as a good 'cover' corner.

Ellis Lankster*|*West Virginia,*CB*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

It would be weird having 2 players named Ellis on the same team...

Personally, if you're going to draft another smurf corner, I'd rather just take Alphonso Smith or DJ Moore early.

I wish BB was taller. He wouldn't have such a passion for these tiny CBs. How has that worked out so far?
DW Toys

Re: FB Brock Bolen...

Here's the source article:

---

Classic sleeper it seems. A 5114 238 hard-nosed FB/RB. Projected round 7-FA.

Curious if the Pats focused on one of Bolen's blockers at Louisville - OC Eric Wood. I like Wood as one of the OC/RG candidates. We've mentioned the OC/RG position as a possible round 1-3 position the Pats may prioritize. This is a good draft for Centers -- some of whom can play Guard. Wood played RG (first time ever) at the Senior Bowl -- and impressed.

Agree on Wood. Bolen will be an UDFA.
DW Toys

Last edited:

They attended Liberty's Pro Day...and I think there's only one prospect there:

40-4.42--4.45 range
Redskins, Titans, Broncos, Colts, Saints, Patriots, Giants, Browns, Falcons, and Panthers attended. He has private workouts scheduled with the Broncos, Chargers and Seahawks in the coming weeks.
NFL DRAFT BIBLE - Pro Day Results: Baylor, Liberty & Colgate

The same page says the Patriots were repped at Colgate's Pro Day. Weird...usually the Pats scouts are undercover.

They attended Liberty's Pro Day...and I think there's only one prospect there:

40-4.42--4.45 range
Redskins, Titans, Broncos, Colts, Saints, Patriots, Giants, Browns, Falcons, and Panthers attended. He has private workouts scheduled with the Broncos, Chargers and Seahawks in the coming weeks.
NFL DRAFT BIBLE - Pro Day Results: Baylor, Liberty & Colgate

The same page says the Patriots were repped at Colgate's Pro Day. Weird...usually the Pats scouts are undercover.

The National Football Post | Scout’s Eye Series: Pro Day Report
Colgate

Offensive lineman Steve Jonas stole the show with a strong showing during position drills and a respectable 5.23 40-time. He measured in at 6-4, 308 pounds and managed 24 reps on the bench.

OT Nick Hennessey measured in at 6-6, 293 pounds and ran his 40 in the high 5.2 range.

Also taking part in the Colgate pro day was Division III quarterback Jason Boltus from Hartwick College. Boltus completed most of his passes and was said to look a lot more accurate and comfortable than at his Combine performance. Don’t be surprised to see a team take a late round flyer on him toward the end of the draft.

Add Jason Williams LB Western Illinois

DD.com contributor Josh Buchanan reports Western Illinois linebacker Jason Williams has private workouts with several teams following his pro day where he posted a 4.49 40-yard dash time, 39-inch vertical, and 10'9" broad jump. Among those visits are the expected to be the Eagles and Patriots this month. The Buccaneers also plan on scheduling a private workout as well.

Re: Add Jason Williams LB Western Illinois

New Era Scouting NFL Team Interest

NFL Team Interest
Last updated on 03/06/09, updates are in italics

Legend
PW - Private workout to be held
V - Team is bringing in player to team facilities
I - Interviewed at Combine or various All Star games
APD - Attended pro day
RI - Rumored interest
MV -Team took prospect out, worked out individually at pro day, or miscellaneous visit
New England Patriots
Jason Williams, OLB, Western Illinois APD
Alex Mack, C, California I
Victor Harris, CB, Virginia Tech I
Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State I
Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee I
Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC I
Alex Magee, DT, Purdue I
Tyrone McKenzie, OLB, South Florida I
Louis Delmas, FS, Western Michigan I
Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State I
Nic Harris, S/LB, Oklahoma I
Zach Follett, LB, California I
Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty I
Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma I

Last edited:

DD.com contributor Josh Buchanan reports Western Illinois linebacker Jason Williams has private workouts with several teams following his pro day where he posted a 4.49 40-yard dash time, 39-inch vertical, and 10'9" broad jump. Among those visits are the expected to be the Eagles and Patriots this month. The Buccaneers also plan on scheduling a private workout as well.

I like him. First off, he's a good football player. Secondly, he had a productive career w/ almost 300 tackles and over 40 tackles for losses. Lastly, he reportedly outplayed every LB during the East West practice sessions. And now we have him wowing scouts at his Pro Day. A bit undersized at 6-1 241, but maybe he'll find a home on the Pats ST coverage unit, along with some sub-coverage packages. Day two prospects aren't a major risk, as they're expected to develop -- not immediately contribute. And if you're going to take a chance on someone, I'd start with one who's produced at his level of comp, impressed at an all-star game and Pro Day, and led analysts to say:

He flies to the ball and shows an extra burst of closing speed in the open field.
Showed versatility all week, running with tight ends down the seam and stepping into the hole to stop running backs in their tracks. His size and athleticism put him at the top of the linebacker group despite the presence of players from big programs like Southern California, Cal and South Carolina.

I wish BB was taller. He wouldn't have such a passion for these tiny CBs. How has that worked out so far?
DW Toys

What is it with you and your lack of understanding about the Pats CBs? BB looks for guys who have that quick twitch. In other words, the speed and agility to make the cuts. Unfortunately, those guys tend to be shorter players. All you have to do is look at the combine results for the 3 cone and the 20 yard shuttle. If there is a taller guy who has the same agility, then BB would look at them.

But,you also need to understand that some of the best CBs are 5-10 to 6'0. So, the guys the Pats have really aren't that short.

It was actually a 4.46, but run on a basketball court. The norm is to add .1 seconds.. Still, its a sub 4.6.. He's kinda short for the Pats OLB position, but he may have what it takes to play ILB for them.

BPF - I am fairly certain that BB talked to Matthews, Cushing and Maualuga at the Senior Bowl.

It was actually a 4.46, but run on a basketball court. The norm is to add .1 seconds.. Still, its a sub 4.6.. He's kinda short for the Pats OLB position, but he may have what it takes to play ILB for them.

I know nothing about this guy, but between what you, Seneschal and DocE have posted, I'm intrigued. He'd essentially have the same height/weight as Mayo, and while I agree for an OLB he'd be on the small side, I have to wonder if he could play ILB...those measurables are enticing. Guyton came in here w basically nothing but sick measurables and a work ethic, and that worked out well so far. As said above, Day 2 (or UDFA) is a great place to take chances on a guy like that)

BPF - I am fairly certain that BB talked to Matthews, Cushing and Maualuga at the Senior Bowl.
I don't know if BB spoke to any of the three. Maualuga reportedly met with someone from NE, could have been Caserio or one of his scouts or any of the defensive coaches. I've seen no reports of NE showing any interest in Cushing or Matthews, that's not to say they have none, but they may also feel they have those two kids profiled well enough.

I know nothing about this guy, but between what you, Seneschal and DocE have posted, I'm intrigued. He'd essentially have the same height/weight as Mayo, and while I agree for an OLB he'd be on the small side, I have to wonder if he could play ILB...those measurables are enticing. Guyton came in here w basically nothing but sick measurables and a work ethic, and that worked out well so far. As said above, Day 2 (or UDFA) is a great place to take chances on a guy like that)
Oh dear my friend, I see we haven't been up late drinking and swapping draft thoughts in a while! As always with BB, college position, especially for kids who played in a 4-3 system, means little. This kid is being scouted for Special Teams and ILB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back