Practice Squad Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Deontae Skinner and Daxton Swanson out.

LS Charley Hughlett and TE Xavier Grimble in.

We all know why they're looking at another LS. Grimble is a nice blocker at TE without the speed to be a starter but with HooMan plodding through a less than stellar year Grimble could be some competition for that spot next year if they keep him around.

Is Grimble developmental or does he help them prepare for GB?

Is Grimble developmental or does he help them prepare for GB?
We'll find out next week. I hope they keep him around, we could save around $1M next year cutting HooMan and he's done little this year to warrant that spot being more than an NFL minimum salary spot.

Deontae Skinner and Daxton Swanson out.

LS Charley Hughlett and TE Xavier Grimble in.

We all know why they're looking at another LS. Grimble is a nice blocker at TE without the speed to be a starter but with HooMan plodding through a less than stellar year Grimble could be some competition for that spot next year if they keep him around.

Hooman is giving them exactly what they expect from them. The issue is that he is not really a threat (nor required to be w/ Gronk and Wright) in the passing game and for running downs, they'd rather use an OL who has the ability to catch the ball.

Tough fall for Skinner. Belichick notes how players are always either improving or declining and that improvement is key. He went from being called up and starting Week 2 to being cut from the practice squad after Week 12. Must have felt he maxed out and couldn't improve any further.

I like the Xavier Grimble pickup as I thought he might have been drafted in the later rounds by a TE needy team (shows you my draft acumen). I am not sure he is that great a blocker but looked like he may do some damage in the passing game if he landed in the right environment and was developed.

Of course he could just be a rental as preparation for the GB game.

Too bad for Dax Swanson; I had hoped that he would stick around through season's end, but with
12 DBs on the 53, I suppose there's less of a need for one on the PS.
I am glad that Skinner & JAG Davis are finally gone, however. Next man out: Vellano.

I liked Grimble for us during the last draft. I thought he had more potential than Hooman.

I'm surprised Skinner lasted this long. He looked just as slow as Spikes if not slower minus the intensity.

Skinner was replaced by Casillas as a Lb in the base. I'm surprised he lasted this long. I also don't know why we have Grimble. Perhaps he is a backup blocking TE if Fleming stays out.

I also don't know why we have Grimble.
Hopefully they're looking around for cheaper options than HooMan for next year. There's no reason for a player of his (lack of) ability to be taking up $1.7M next year. After accounting for dead hit and replacement we'd only save about 750K replacing him but it's something. BB may not agree but I'd prefer cheaper and more upside than HooMan.

Hopefully they're looking around for cheaper options than HooMan for next year. There's no reason for a player of his (lack of) ability to be taking up $1.7M next year. After accounting for dead hit and replacement we'd only save about 750K replacing him but it's something. BB may not agree but I'd prefer cheaper and more upside than HooMan.

I understand your position. However, I tend to agree with Belichick.

Apparently, Belichick had little interest in tight ends after re-signing Hooman as the backup to Gronk, who at then time wasn't even certain to be available to start the season. Hooman was to be the backup and the 2nd TE when we ran two TE sets. IMHO, the situation isn't much different with the presence of Wright. Wright isn't a backup to Gronk.

For me, it is not a matter of upside. Hooman fills a role that Belichick thinks is essential, and he does his job. Obviously, I have no issue with Belichick bringing in lots of competition for Hooman. I just don't think it is reasonable to think that Belichick will keep a developmental TE on the roster with more upside than Hooman. Any replacement for Hooman would need to better than Hooman in his roles when the roster decisions are made, not as a prospect. So, sure, I'll be one of those calling for competition to be brought in. I just don't think much will come of the effort.

I would note that many here didn't want to re-sign Hooman. We wanted better, much better. We wanted free agents. We wanted tight ends early in the draft. We wanted tight end in the middle of the draft. We wanted tight ends late in the draft. However, Belichick had all he needed in Hooman, even when Gronk's availability was unknown. To me, Belichick's actions are a strong endorsement of Hooman. Clearly, he is more valuable than most of us realize.

I understand your position. However, I tend to agree with Belichick . . . I would note that many here didn't want to re-sign Hooman.
I don't even want a high upside stud, I don't mind the role. I just think HooMan is overpaid for a role given that it's not a highly skilled role and he's not that great at it. If he were a true, road grading killer blocker then fine. But he's not. Maybe I under appreciate him but I see him as an average blocking, below average receiving TE without any chance of getting better. That's a minimum salary player to me.

7Y5WQBc.jpg

New England Patriots ✔ @Patriots
Xavier Grimble & Charley Hughlett have been released from the practice squad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back