PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible OL help - rookie tryouts

I focused on both for a few series.

Sow just doesn't have it IMO. If he can't play guard, I think they need to even move on.

Sow was drafted in the 4th while Demario Douglas was still on the board. DD was not drafted until late in the 6th, sort of as an afterthought. Troy Brown must have been going nutz in the draft room....if they even let him in there....from now on, Brown needs to be in charge of drafting receivers....

How do you know that Troy wanted to draft DD?

Why do you say drafting DD was an afterthought?

Are you presuming that Strange and Onwenu aren't coming back?

I'm with Mafi as a backup OG. The open issue is whether Andrews is ready to be a backup center; he'll be on the roster. If not, Russey or Ferentz will make the 53. I hate to say it, but Belichick is probably fine with Russey or Ferentz as a backup center, although he is hoping to upgrade with Andrews.

Strange will be back. I have no idea what Onwenu's timetable is.

It's not that I'm not ok with Mafi as a backup, but calling his play good enough is questionable too. Mafi looked better than the others, but it wasn't saying much.

They really need all hands on deck. If Sow can play guard like some think he can, and other 4th round rookies have done, it is crazy to throw that away this season in hopes that this mess will learn the tackle position.

How do you know that Troy wanted to draft DD?

Why do you say drafting DD was an afterthought?
1. I think conjecture based on coaching him a full week for the Shrine Bowl and how DD impressed back then. There may be some love quotes among them if you dig into the internet.

2. Afterthought is probably not the right word, but remember they picked DD as their #3 choice in the 6th round, after a punter.

Does it help if they were back to back?

I didn't say he was good, but Sow was like a batter swinging and missing from a pitcher that was light years too fast for him.

Have they ever cut a 4th round pick because I see nothing?

So you’re going to cut him because he was moved to a new position and didn’t play well in his first NFL preseason game? Really?

I wonder if Klemm had words to that effect with Belichick. Dante was someone Bill had complete faith in. He hasn’t had to worry about OL outside of Dante’s input.

The past few years it really shows.
People here are putting way too much stock in Klemm Kadiddlehopper.

Those backup NE OL vs Houston the other night looked like ***.

While you are probably right, I suspect that would mean he’s our 4th OT. And based on the health of our current OTs, there’s a good chance we would see him playing, which would be a recipe for disaster.
We’re only 2 weeks plus a couple of days in from the start of TC. There’s another 2 + weeks until roster cutdown to 53. There are 4 weeks until the opener. In that time, we’ll likely get some clarification on Brown, Strange, Onwenu and Anderson.

If, say, Onwenu comes off PUP and is ready to play by the opener wouldn’t he be the emergency 4th tackle? He’s played an acceptable RT before. And, I suspect Sow would play better and more confidently lined up next to Onwenu than Kody Russey.

The Patriots OLine played poorly against Houston (not as bad on re-watch as initial viewing, imho), but what were we to expect without 5 players looked at as roster locks coming into camp not playing? Beyond that, of the guys who did play, 3 were rookies and Steuber didn’t practice or play at all last season. Two others, Russey and Hines, played very little in rookie seasons where their primary position coach was also the de facto OC.

Let’s not fret over this. Injuries and inexperience are a factor. You can’t have 10 sure fire, veteran OLinemen in the room when TC begins. It doesn’t work that way. It will get better, and, if it doesn’t, it’s likely too late to do anything but apply a patch or two at this point anyway.

Bring a sports fan is like playing poker with an endless supply of fake money. You really don’t have anything tangible to lose, but it’s all kinds of fun to play and win.

Sow was drafted in the 4th while Demario Douglas was still on the board. DD was not drafted until late in the 6th, sort of as an afterthought. Troy Brown must have been going nutz in the draft room....if they even let him in there....from now on, Brown needs to be in charge of drafting receivers....
That’s why position coaches and regional scouts are not in the Pats draft room. Their input and opinions had already been given.

You and me both probably would have made different picks than the Pats did in the 4th round. I would have drafted an OT with the first 4th rounder.

I wanted either Carter of Pittsburgh or Duncan of Maryland rather than Andrews and would have worried about a backup/future starter C pick later in the draft. Especially with Russey and Hines already on the roster.

Sidy Sow can be a good player and probably has the potential to be better than either Carter or Duncan. But, given the state of the T personnel, I would have erred on the side of experience and immediate help over potential at that point.

So you’re going to cut him because he was moved to a new position and didn’t play well in his first NFL preseason game? Really?

If you read my posts, I am not cutting him; just raising the question because it is valid considering how bad Sow looks.

Watch the game. Jags were running around him without even bothering to make a move. The only time he seemed to stop this is when the defensive end overshot the QB. After a few misses, the DE figured out he didn't even have to go that fast to get around Sow. He's too slow.

If Sow can help at guard now, why not work with him at tackle if they want, but use his depth there, because there really isn't any on the OL anywhere.

EDIT: - I have said to cut Sow if he can't play guard either.

Last edited:
That’s why position coaches and regional scouts are not in the Pats draft room. Their input and opinions had already been given.

You and me both probably would have made different picks than the Pats did in the 4th round. I would have drafted an OT with the first 4th rounder.

That fourth round will be an endless source of second guessing by obnoxious gadflies such as me, and, yes, it appears that there were still some good OTs on the board when they picked The Sow. Ugh. It is amazing that Sow went so early and Pop went so late; that is what makes the draft so fascinating.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing Judon, Barmore, and White lined up together; whew...

If you read my posts, I am not cutting him; just raising the question because it is valid considering how bad Sow looks.

Watch the game. Jags were running around him without even bothering to make a move. The only time he seemed to stop this is when the defensive end overshot the QB. After a few misses, the DE figured out he didn't even have to go that fast to get around Sow. He's too slow.

If Sow can help at guard now, why not work with him at tackle if they want, but use his depth there, because there really isn't any on the OL anywhere.

EDIT: - I have said to cut Sow if he can't play guard either.

Fair, but sometimes rookies in their first game are slow because they are thinking too much. He basically playing a different position in a new offense in a new league. its notable that Mafi didn’t look very good, either. The OL was a mess. but it’s still early.

Otoh, could be right. He might be too slow./not talented enough. If that’s true, that is a pretty big draft whiff.

There's a debatable loss in there where Sow pushed the rusher pass the QB - would have been OK if the QB could have stepped up in the pocket (he couldn't in fact).

Bedard:

Sidy Sow and Conor McDermott appear to now be in a competition for RT. I thought Sow was OK the other night. I think that is more about how Reiff isn't a real OT option and McDermott is a backup at best. See if Sow can do something with the opportunity.

Bedard:

Sidy Sow and Conor McDermott appear to now be in a competition for RT. I thought Sow was OK the other night. I think that is more about how Reiff isn't a real OT option and McDermott is a backup at best. See if Sow can do something with the opportunity.
Crazy how they paid Reiff that money for a used up tackle.

People here are putting way too much stock in Klemm Kadiddlehopper.

Those backup NE OL vs Houston the other night looked like ***.

Don't you have chores to finish? Your sister must be getting mighty pissed.

I'd add that the OL has to learn to work together as a unit, and so early in the season they are always (across the league) going to look bad against the same level DL, let alone against the first team players.

The OL is the typically the worst athletes left that haven't been repurposed throughout their HS and college careers. I see it over and over here in MD high schools - the best OL are turned into DL (and even TEs) over and over again - the guys that have great quickness and strength never last and you're left with just size versus five tool blue chippers.

Bedard:

Couldn't believe when I read it.

He saw things much differently than I did.

I meant forfeit as in forfeit Sow's season.

If you accept the current backup guard situation as ok, that's fine, but the play last night was abysmal against like competition.

The names you mention are not currently NFL level. Ferrentz can fill in, but do you want him the #3, especially with the starters hurt?

If Sow can help now at guard, it's a no brainer.

Sow was promoted at RT today. Sow had 5 reps against Will Anderson and won all 5. Anderson was the #3 pick in the draft and is supposed to be a generational talent. It appears as though you could not be more wrong with your evaluation. What is a no brainer?

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back