PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible OL help - rookie tryouts

The concern I have is did it really take that pathetic showing against the Texans to realize the offensive line was inadequate. And are two street undrafted free agaents the answer?

If you remember after Parcells first year with the Pats he said the center position “held us hostage.” His words.

We are facing the same thing with the tackle position. Presumably Trent Brown will shamble his way to LT where, if he wants it, can be a top ten player. RT he’d be even better.

But the Reiff acquisition isn’t panning out thus far.

Bill, are you starting to panic?

Parcells drafted Dave Wohlabaugh from Syracuse in the fourth round to fix the center position. Dave’s son, who’s even bigger, just transferred to Syracuse. I think he’s a tackle.

The concern I have is did it really take that pathetic showing against the Texans to realize the offensive line was inadequate. And are two street undrafted free agaents the answer?
I’d say the tryouts must have been scheduled before the game. Not enough time to plan them and get the rookies into town if they weren’t already set up before the game. So, no, it did not take that showing to motivate attempts to improve.

I’d say the tryouts must have been scheduled before the game. Not enough time to plan them and get the rookies into town if they weren’t already set up before the game. So, no, it did not take that showing to motivate attempts to improve.

This is obviously true. Amazing others didn't realize it.

I would overpay to bring in:

Omos ... left tackle
Odyssey Jones ... left guard
Commander Azeez ... right guard
Shanky ... right tackle
Kane .... center

Is that the Undertaker's brother?

I saw Reid listed at 6’4” and 295. Lacking both leverage and weight seems more of a challenge.

Yeah I've noticed a couple of different weight listings now: 297 at NFL.com, 307 at CBSSports.com, and 311 here:

I still feel like we should sign him (or the other dude), get him in the building for a couple of weeks, then determine if he's the development LT to sign to the PS after Cut-Down Day.

Yeah I've noticed a couple of different weight listings now: 297 at NFL.com, 307 at CBSSports.com, and 311 here:

I still feel like we should sign him (or the other dude), get him in the building for a couple of weeks, then determine if he's the development LT to sign to the PS after Cut-Down Day.
He weighed 311 at his pro day, they weigh them so it's accurate. He also has an 85" wingspan so length is not an issue. He was great at every measurable except bench press so he could afford to get stronger. I hope they bring him in.

Sow just doesn't have it IMO. If he can't play guard, I think they need to even move on.

He's barely played tackle - last time was in 2018. Lazar said his problem stemmed from his footwork in pass setting. So that is fixable. He has the size and physical attributes to play tackle - just still very raw.

He's barely played tackle - last time was in 2018. Lazar said his problem stemmed from his footwork in pass setting. So that is fixable. He has the size and physical attributes to play tackle - just still very raw.

Speed. He's slow as molasses.

If he could play guard, why would they forfeit this season when beyond the injured starters it's almost as bad as it can get.

Let him develop to tackle year 3, but we really need a guard now!

That's why I think it's a little of "let's just see if we can teach him anything to be helpful sometime" and he can not do really anything now.

An unpopular opinion…move Strange to LT and Sow to LG. Strange is the same size as Matt Light but is more mobil…Sow is more of a fatty…or Mafi at LG.

An unpopular opinion…move Strange to LT and Sow to LG. Strange is the same size as Matt Light but is more mobil…Sow is more of a fatty…or Mafi at LG.

If Sow can play effectively as a third guard, which many mid-round choices have done as rookies (or even started) with this organization, then why wouldn't they? They literally have no one beyond the injured starters.

This red shirt year to learn tackle thing is crap IMO. He can't play anywhere.

If he could play guard, why would they forfeit this season when beyond the injured starters it's almost as bad as it can get.
The assumption is that Strange will be back soon and Onwenu at some point too. So they are not "forfeiting this season" by not having Sow play guard. Among the rookies Mafi is a guard and Jake Andrews can likely play guard too, and we still have the backups from last season. Tackle is the longer-term depth problem.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back