PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible OL help - rookie tryouts

In his fifth and final collegiate season last fall, Vanterpool was named to the All-Mountain West second-team after starting 13 games at right guard. He did not allow a sack or register a penalty all season.

What I found interesting:
logging snaps at left tackle, right tackle, left guard and right guard throughout his time at Hawaii.

Tackle is the longer-term depth problem.
I wonder if Klemm had words to that effect with Belichick. Dante was someone Bill had complete faith in. He hasn’t had to worry about OL outside of Dante’s input.

The past few years it really shows.

sorry meant for Icy
I would overpay to bring in:

Omos ... left tackle
Odyssey Jones ... left guard
Commander Azeez ... right guard
Shanky ... right tackle
Kane .... center
Why do you assume these players are better? I think we need to take a deep breath and give them another shot.

I wonder if Klemm had words to that effect with Belichick. Dante was someone Bill had complete faith in. He hasn’t had to worry about OL outside of Dante’s input.

The past few years it really shows.
Kraft needs to give Dante a thirty day consulting contract, teaching Klemm his secrets by demonstrating with some of the current projects.

The assumption is that Strange will be back soon and Onwenu at some point too. So they are not "forfeiting this season" by not having Sow play guard. Among the rookies Mafi is a guard and Jake Andrews can likely play guard too, and we still have the backups from last season. Tackle is the longer-term depth problem.

I meant forfeit as in forfeit Sow's season.

If you accept the current backup guard situation as ok, that's fine, but the play last night was abysmal against like competition.

The names you mention are not currently NFL level. Ferrentz can fill in, but do you want him the #3, especially with the starters hurt?

If Sow can help now at guard, it's a no brainer.

I'd add that the OL has to learn to work together as a unit, and so early in the season they are always (across the league) going to look bad against the same level DL, let alone against the first team players.

If you accept the current backup guard situation as ok, that's fine, but the play last night was abysmal against like competition.

The names you mention are not currently NFL level. Ferrentz can fill in, but do you want him the #3, especially with the starters hurt?

I think Sow would be the fifth or sixth guard. He’s no better at guard than what they currently have and they need to see if they can develop a backup tackle for next season.

I don’t think Sow makes the roster right now and they hope they can stash him on the PS.

I think Sow would be the fifth or sixth guard. He’s no better at guard than what they currently have and they need to see if they can develop a backup tackle for next season.

I don’t think Sow makes the roster right now and they hope they can stash him on the PS.

That's a bold prediction, but I think your assessment is spot on.

They made a lot of what looks like good draft choices this year. Bedard even mentioned rookie Andrews looked good last night, and Mafi appears a player who can be worked with.

Move on from a bad pick. Who cares what round? I'd rather keep a more promising player at another position than Sow, if this is it.

Move on from a bad pick. Who cares what round? I'd rather keep a more promising player at another position than Sow, if this is it.
Exactly! The goal is fielding the most competitive team, year in and year out. Picks are one tool to that end. Free agent signings are another. Resigning current players is another. End of the day it doesn’t matter which tool, it’s the result that counts. Once a pick is made it’s a sunk cost, holding on to a player that isn’t panning out just because they cost a high pick is just throwing good money after bad. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 4th round OL or a second round WR. What matters is the roster quality when the season starts.

That's a bold prediction, but I think your assessment is spot on.

They made a lot of what looks like good draft choices this year. Bedard even mentioned rookie Andrews looked good last night, and Mafi appears a player who can be worked with.

I think Sow gets until the end of camp to prove he can be a backup OT. If not, he gets cut and they hope he makes it to the PS so Klemm can work with him for a year and see where he is next year.

Speed. He's slow as molasses.

If he could play guard, why would they forfeit this season when beyond the injured starters it's almost as bad as it can get.

Let him develop to tackle year 3, but we really need a guard now!

That's why I think it's a little of "let's just see if we can teach him anything to be helpful sometime" and he can not do really anything now.
Sow is not slow.

The Pats are not waiving Sow, and he wouldn’t make it through waivers if they did. OLinemen are in short supply league wide. Someone would claim him, return him to LG and have solid starter for a decade.

I agree, based on Thursday night, that you don’t want him playing RT when the games count at this point. The opener is still 4 weeks away though. It will work itself out roster-wise. This team is not so talented that they can’t find a spot on the 53 for a 4th round draft pick who they’re trying to convert from guard to tackle and change from the left side to the right side of the line.

The Pats are not waiving Sow, and he wouldn’t make it through waivers if they did. OLinemen are in short supply league wide. Someone would claim him, return him to LG and have solid starter for a decade.

I agree, based on Thursday night, that you don’t want him playing RT when the games count at this point. The opener is still 4 weeks away though. It will work itself out roster-wise. This team is not so talented that they can’t find a spot on the 53 for a 4th round draft pick who they’re trying to convert from guard to tackle and change from the left side to the right side of the line.
While you are probably right, I suspect that would mean he’s our 4th OT. And based on the health of our current OTs, there’s a good chance we would see him playing, which would be a recipe for disaster.

Are you presuming that Strange and Onwenu aren't coming back?

I'm with Mafi as a backup OG. The open issue is whether Andrews is ready to be a backup center; he'll be on the roster. If not, Russey or Ferentz will make the 53. I hate to say it, but Belichick is probably fine with Russey or Ferentz as a backup center, although he is hoping to upgrade with Andrews.

Sow is not slow.

This doesn't correspond with the never inaccurate eye test.

You're right. They're not waiving Sow.

But if he's a starting guard for a decade, what's wrong with using him for depth at the position this year? They are almost as weak at backup guard this year as backup tackle.

I'm no Dante, but Sow doesn't look like he's ever going to be a top tackle.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back