PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

POLL: Would Bill O'Brien make a great head coach to run the Pats after Belichick leaves?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you feel Bill O'Brien would be a great Head Coach to succeed Belichick?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe, it depends on how well he does with the Texans

• Are you crazy?! Belichick is never gonna go away!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mike Vrabel could be great.

McDs problem was that no one backed him in Denver. The owner is a *****. He also lost games. Lol.
It was a tough situation. He also had an owner who was in early stage Alzehimers and John Elway whispering in his children's ears.

I'd prefer mcDaniels. Maybe Sean Payton gets fired. Lol.
lol err please no. You get mcDaniels.

A lot of news has crowned Chip Kelly as a great offensive mind. Truth is hes been copying Sean Payton sense he got in the NFL. Quick offense, fast discipline to adjusting and get the matchup problems. Heavy OL. SP has a great eye for RB talent. His biggest push in the draft, and tried to deal after was for Marshawn Lynch. He wanted him badly.
Kelly is a clone. Eagles this year look like a carbon copy of NO.
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/01/eagles-saints_chip_kelly_admires_sean_payton.html

That said, yes payton seems to know how to develop great WR's that no one else see's in the draft. Has an eye for a good QB. Think he loves Garoppolo.
http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/garoppolo-payton-he-was-stud-eastern-illinois

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...res-his-college-game-to-the-stud-sean-payton/

SP has eye for a good RB, TE, and has picked alot of pro bowl offensive linemen. He even traded Graham for a stud center. Paytons a beast of a coach on offense and the stats for offense sense 2006 prove that. He knows exactly what hes doing.

This is where he parts from BB, lol, he has no clue how to build a defense. Maybe your scouts are better than ours. Something Ive always thought.
Granted with a BB built defense, if SP took over, NE would be very dominate for 2-3 years. And Im sure BB would go out on the boat with him and chat about things. They like eachother.
But SP loves offense and really just sees defense as someone to give the ball back to the offense.
Yes, you would have 1-3 ranked offense, and exciting for years, but he would maybe make the defense worse than it ever was, unless he learns by then.

He took the worst team in the NFL and turned it into a offensive Juggernaut,
,and no you cant have him.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be against it if the time was right now, but everyone should be prepared for the fact that whatever is next, at coach and quarterback, will be a step down.

It will never be this good again.

It's rare having a hall-of-fame coach, and a team is lucking getting a hall-of-fame quarterback. But when you get both at the same time?.....well, that happens only once in a generation!

That said, Garoppolo and McDaniels seem to have a solid relationship. And assuming they stick together, I think they'll do their best to live up to Brady's and Belichick's standards. Jonathan will be sure of that ;)

The only problem with this, is that the Patriots couldn't get first downs consistently. They did try a bit of it in the first quarter, but the :22 3-and-outs were killing the defense.

Everyone thinks they're smarter than the offensive co-ordinator.

BOB should have gone no huddle for most of the game against the giants since NY struggled with that during 2012. they just let the giant offense dictate the clock.

To this day, I'll never understand why the Pats didn't go more no-huddle on their plays. I'm still confounded by that decision

lol err please no. You get mcDaniels.

A lot of news has crowned Chip Kelly as a great offensive mind. Truth is hes been copying Sean Payton sense he got in the NFL. Quick offense, fast discipline to adjusting and get the matchup problems. Heavy OL. SP has a great eye for RB talent. His biggest push in the draft, and tried to deal after was for Marshawn Lynch. He wanted him badly.
Kelly is a clone. Eagles this year look like a carbon copy of NO.
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/01/eagles-saints_chip_kelly_admires_sean_payton.html

That said, yes payton seems to know how to develop great WR's that no one else see's in the draft. Has an eye for a good QB. Think he loves Garoppolo.
http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/garoppolo-payton-he-was-stud-eastern-illinois
SP has eye for a good RB, TE, and has picked alot of pro bowl offensive linemen. He even traded Graham for a stud center. Paytons a beast of a coach on offense and the stats for offense sense 2006 prove that. He knows exactly what hes doing.

This is where he parts from BB, lol, he has no clue how to build a defense. Maybe your scouts are better than ours. Something Ive always thought.
Granted with a BB built defense, if SP took over, NE would be very dominate for 2-3 years. And Im sure BB would go out on the boat with him and chat about things. They like eachother.
But SP loves offense and really just sees defense as someone to give the ball back to the offense.
Yes, you would have 1-3 ranked offense, and exciting for years, but he would maybe make the defense worse than it ever was, unless he learns by then.

and no you cant have him.

What a combination if you had Sean Payton and the better Ryan as your DC.

WTF .... this thread is not even remotely relevant ... health permitting.

Bill will be around for a while IMO.

What a combination if you had Sean Payton and the better Ryan as your DC.
So true.. but having Matt Patricia would be enouph. I mean Pats won and deserved the SB, but if Saints could have just had a top 15-10 ranked defense sense 2006, um wow. The offense has always been there.

I'd prefer mcDaniels. Maybe Sean Payton gets fired. Lol.
Yeah I'd like to see McDaniels be our next head coach. Perfect fit. BB is Obee Won and McDaniels is Luke Skywalker

Yeah I'd like to see McDaniels be our next head coach. Perfect fit. BB is Obee Won and McDaniels is Luke Skywalker

Wasnt impressed by McDaniels in denver, and thought he was rude to BB as a mentor at the time. That and even considering Tebow as a legitimate draft for QB was ridiculous. Some people are good offensive coaches, but not coaching material. Maybe he learned, I dont know.
But he wouldnt be my 1st choice. Doesnt matter BB is going no were.

Wasnt impressed by McDaniels in denver, and thought he was rude to BB as a mentor at the time. That and even considering Tebow as a legitimate draft for QB was ridiculous. Some people are good offensive coaches, but not coaching material. Maybe he learned, I dont know.
I think it was a bad situation with the organization, and also think Josh was in a little bit over his head. It was his first crack at it and they gave him too much power. If he were promoted here, it would be in a very balanced share of power with Caserio. Plus all the guys already respect Josh. He would be my first choice to replace BB, for sure.

In regards to the OP, yes I think BOB would do well here. He's pretty good, but I think he won't leave Houston if I am correct in that evaluation. I live in Pennsylvania and watch a fair number of Penn State games, and he was really great as their coach for those couple years. The year after the Sandusky scandal, postseason ban, scholarships cut, kids transferring out left and right, and what does BOB do? He went for like 8 or 9 wins IIRC. It was a great season despite the many many MANY distractions. And these are college kids, not professionals. This is why I think he is potentially great.

When was Josh rude to BB?

He was a little over the top with his celebration when the Donkeys beat the Pats but that's all I can remember.

I think it was a bad situation with the organization, and also think Josh was in a little bit over his head. It was his first crack at it and they gave him too much power. If he were promoted here, it would be in a very balanced share of power with Caserio. Plus all the guys already respect Josh. He would be my first choice to replace BB, for sure.
Well , Im not sure why he is held to a different standard than anyone else. No disrespect. But the weapons like Gronk were there when he came back. Think JM might fit fine in NE, until he starts making his own team, and calling the shots. I am looking at this from outside.
JM would not be my next pick after SP in NO I mean. Granted I dont see a better replacement for us right now than BB.
But I think even Andy Ried might be better than him as HC.

Last edited:
Well , Im not sure why he is held to a different standard than anyone else. No disrespect. But the weapons like Gronk were there when he came back. Think JM might fit fine in NE, until he starts making his own team, and calling the shots. I am looking at this from outside.
JM would not be my next pick after SP. Granted I dont see a better replacement for us right now than BB.
But I think even Andy Ried might be better than him as HC or yes, hate to say it, Pete Carroll.

JM would not be my next pick after SP. Granted I dont see a better replacement for us right now than BB.
But I think even Andy Ried might be better than him as HC or yes, hate to say it, Pete Carroll.
All set with Stinky Pete.

All set with Fat Andy the Walrus.

When was Josh rude to BB?

He was a little over the top with his celebration when the Donkeys beat the Pats but that's all I can remember.
It was big news at the time of JM not paying proper respect to BB after a win. I think I am correct

All set with Stinky Pete.

All set with Fat Andy the Walrus.
I hate Pete Carroll , sorry , but true. As soon as he ran from College and put Bush under the bus for what he had control of.

But I think even Andy Ried might be better than him as HC.
Let's face it, whoever takes over as BB's replacement will always be compared to him, which IMO is not fair. What BB has done for the Pat's organization is incredible. First 40 years of existence pre-BB, 2 SB appearances 2 losses. 15 years of BB, 6 SB appearances 4 SB wins, just insane. And who knows, we might get another 5-7 years of BB and a few more SB appearances. His replacement is f&cked unless he wins a couple of SBs right away.

I watched an episode of Hard Knocks.. My take is he F***ing says F*** alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST